U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 12,373 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -

I am in the process of moving to CT. I have found a house we like in Avon.

My issue is this, I have two children that should be starting school in 2 weeks. I probably won't have actually purchased the house by then.

What I was thinking of doing was getting temporary housing in the same area so that I wouldn't have to move from one school to another potentially after maybe just one month.

The house belongs to the Roaring Brook Elementary school area. I can't seem to find apartments online in that area. Does anyone know of any apartments in what seems to be the west side of Avon?

While I am at it - any thoughts on Pine Grove vs. Roaring Brook?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM

419 posts, read 2,124,977 times
Ahh yes, Roaring Brook school. My delightful alma mater haha. It was quite a while back but I attended Roaring Brook myself. I guess to make an assessment of the school now I would probably have to have children attending, but I will tell you that I'm sure it's still the best elementary school in Avon as far as test scores, and at the time, my parents were pleased with my education there.

This however, is not to say that Pine Grove is not an equally excellent school. Test scores may be slightly lower, but at these high levels, the differences are barely noticable.

To conclude, I guess I'll say that if your best interest is truly your young children's education, you'd be hard pressed to find a town better than Avon in Connecticut, possibly even in the Northeast, and across the country.

Congratulations on your upcoming purchases, and I have no worries that you'll find Avon to be a perfect place to raise your children.

Matthew

Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 AM

615 posts, read 1,849,418 times
My Alma Mater too... I grew up off Country Club Road. There are very few apartments in the westen side of avon. Most anything resembling an apartment would be off of 44 or 10. Canton, Unionville, and Collinsville are much better for apts.

Avon has indeed changed. Not sure I like the change of the landscape...but the schools are probably still OK. Just a different breed of people that have moved in there the last 30 years that have brought in a deadly combination of
money with Marty McGillicuddy refinement. lol...

Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

419 posts, read 2,124,977 times
Ahhh! Jim what year did you haha "graduate" from Roaring Brook? Let's see...I'm 1993, how about you?\

sorry to get off topic Newest'

Now, apartments in the Roaring Brook district...hmm...

Certainly weren't any there when I was growing up. But...I found a rental home for 1,425/mo and it's a lakefront cottage. It's an older 2bed/1bath, but it would probably do if you're just looking for temporary.

PM if you want the link.

Matthew

Last edited by WallStreetWarrior; 08-21-2007 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 AM

30,866 posts, read 48,462,087 times
New Resident - Usually if you have a contract to buy a home in a particular town, they will let you enroll the students in that school immediately even if you are not living there yet. You might contact Avon schools to confirm this, but you could be living miles away and as long as you show them a valid contract of purchase, they usually let the students begin school. You would have to provide the students with transportation though if you are living outside the schools bus district. Good luck and welcome to Connecticut. Avon is wonderful. Jay

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM

I'd take issue that Avon is "wonderful" (my family is in their 36th year there).....but thats for a whole other thread. Its a safe place. The police often contend with pulling bats out of homes (my mother had one) and cats in trees. I remember one murder growing up there..and that was about 1978-9 on Brookmoor.

Roaring Brook is about twice as large now. When we moved to Avon, there were 6500 people in town. lol..

Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
I'd take issue that Avon is "wonderful" (my family is in their 36th year there).....but thats for a whole other thread.
Is there something you do not like about Avon? It has great schools, beautiful homes and plenty of shopping, restaurants and entertainment options. It is also a bit pricey but there must be some reason so many people are willing to plop down $1 million plus for homes there. I wonder if your issue is that the twon has changed a lot over the past 36 years and you and your family do not like it? I would be interested in knowing. Jay

Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM

You're a good soul to ask..but if I gave my reasons, it might not sit too well with a lot of folks. There ARE people plopping down money for those 1 million dollar homes..this is true...but Avon has become Exhibit A of a town where $$$ has no correlation to good taste. Our eateries on 44 consist of McDonalds, Amici, Cosi, Chilis, Friendlys, Bertuccis, Little Mark (weak excuse for BBQ), 5 Guys (good burgers..but burgers), Boston Market, Dakota, 99, Lenas, DAngelos, Max-A-Mia, Carmen Anthony, Freskos (will be gone soon), Subway, Bagelz, Brueggers, Old Farms Inn,
Bosc (grossly overpriced), Toshi, Ristorante Italia (creative title..not), As-N-Deli, Tower view pizza. There are probably a couple others...but the point is really that medocrity and McMansions are the norm now in Avon.

Great for the corporate gypsy in from Des Moines, Detroit or Jersey...but for those of
who have seen the Valley turn into a sprawl...it taint too charming.

The Canton Golf Course...Exhibit A.
Ask anyone who has lived there pre 1986 what they think of Avon today....

Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM

JiminCT - I am trying to see what your point is about the restaurants. The ones you mentioned seem to be a broad base of options that would appeal to most people. Is there something wrong with that? Maybe they are not to your liking but many are very good. Max A Mia and Carmen Anthony's are very good and hardly mediocre. Dakota and 99 are great for families (we like both, sorry but we do). Sorry but this is what the average American likes these days.

As for the Canton Golf Course, well the town did not make an effort to preserve it and they turned what could have been a very nice center into the monster it is today. This is what happens when too many people try to "save" their town and are so vocal about their "causes". It is also what happens when a town does not plan well for the future and has a lot of people who want lower taxes anyway they can get them.

So in general, you do not like the fact that after your family moved to Avon, other families did to and that the owners of the properties along route 44 developed their property as it was intended in the town's plan for development.

Sorry you don't like change but towns change and grow and develop. If they didn't you would have a situation like many places in the midwest where housing prices are so low and stagnant that people are basically stuck. I bet your family does like how much the price of their home has gone up over the last 36 years though. If you did not have all those families moving in and changing things, that home wouldn't be worth as much as it is today. I am all for preserving things but there is a price to pay for that as well. JMHO Jay

Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,373 times
Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for your responses.

It is good to hear validation on our choice of town.

WallStreetWarrior - Thank you for looking that up. I actually did a search on houses based on your suggestion. I think I found the one you mentioned as well as a couple other options I'll be looking into.

JayCT - You are right, if I have a mortgage commitment I can have my children attend school. The issue is I haven't quite sold my existing house yet. SChool starts in a couple of weeks so I was hoping to get them enrolled in school and in a few weeks actually purchase a house.

Thank you again all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut