Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have seen all of these listings already. See my comments within your quote above. I have no complaints about most of these houses.
Something to consider, taxes. In Wethersfield a 180K house has 4K in taxes.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/44-Tifton-Rd-Wethersfield-CT-06109/57786431_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Sure the mortgage is only about $900 but property taxes add about $300 per month.

So 1/3 of the cost is property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
Trees can be cut. Besides you'll need the wood for when you put in a wood stove after you realize your $ 120 a month heat budget may only heat the house for a week or so. Buy a chain saw and learn to use it. Brisk fresh air and exercise is a good for a body.

But seriously, don't even bother buying in CT. You're a hothouse flower- decide whether you like humid and hot or dry and hot and move to the south or southwest.

You can get more house for less money, maybe even on acreage in the boonies, stay comfortably warm and won't have to worry about heating a basement since most houses south & southwest don't have any. It's a big country, move to where you can make a life for yourself- you're the proverbial fish out of water in Connecticut.

Rather than constsantly complaining on how bored you are and how you can't find this or that, do something about it and just make plans to go. Put your energy into a job search, save up for another year and move on.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No. The joke here is your inability to accept life. You've been given lots of great information by experienced people here, and you choose to ignore it! What else do you want from us?

Have you spoken to your parents about this? By the way you describe them, they seem rational. Take their advice if you're going to ignore ours.
So basically the solution is to suck it up and settle for a house I'm not so crazy about. I get it.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Trees can be cut. Besides you'll need the wood for when you put in a wood stove after you realize your $ 120 a month heat budget may only heat the house for a week or so. Buy a chain saw and learn to use it. Brisk fresh air and exercise is a good for a body.

But seriously, don't even bother buying in CT. You're a hothouse flower- decide whether you like humid and hot or dry and hot and move to the south or southwest.

You can get more house for less money, maybe even on acreage in the boonies, stay comfortably warm and won't have to worry about heating a basement since most houses south & southwest don't have any. It's a big country, move to where you can make a life for yourself- you're the proverbial fish out of water in Connecticut.

Rather than constsantly complaining on how bored you are and how you can't find this or that, do something about it and just make plans to go. Put your energy into a job search, save up for another year and move on.
My preference is for humid heat rather than dry heat. Moving south has been on my mind for about 3 years now. In fact, it's the initial reason why I even started using this website for research and forums. But geez...my family is here and CT is a gay friendly and atheist friendly state. And just now that I've been at my job for 1.5 yrs, things are starting to make sense and my reputation is on the rise. Not sure I want to start all over again, you know? Plus, it's a huge gamble, especially in this economy. Not to mention all the threads about people who say it was the biggest mistake of their life to move south. And they end up moving back to CT.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
So basically the solution is to suck it up and settle for a house I'm not so crazy about. I get it.
Newsflash - nobody is "crazy about" their first house. You start with something you can afford, and work your way up.

...for the 10th time.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
I think the key is to "suck it up" and be appreciative for what you are able to afford at this point in your life.

You are among a small percentage of people in the world that have the opportunity to become homeowners. And a small percentage of your age group with that opportunity. Among an even smaller percentage of people that happen to live in the richest state in the richest country in the world. Perspective.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,020 times
Quote:
You people are a joke. So I have to go to counseling because I'm not satisfied with the selection of houses on the market? And because I am bored of CT? Oh please. There are plenty of nice houses on the market. I just can't afford them.

I did three drive-bys yesterday and today and all three houses were completely unimpressive. White trash neighborhoods seems to be the common theme. Although, I saw one in Portland in a nice rural, quite neighborhood. But the house was completely surrounded by trees, giving the house a depressed, dark feeling. And the house was literally only about 30 feet from the road. I still might look at it though, before I write it off completely. At least it's remodeled inside, has an attached garage, and is in a quiet, somewhat private area.
My god, are you a chick? Suck it up and either buy something here, move in with Mummy and Daddy or go south...it sounds like your big-time real estate investor Dad might have a thing or two to tell you. Jesus, I've never seen anyone complain so much as you!

I apologize to all the chicks here...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM

370 posts, read 608,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
My god, are you a chick? Suck it up and either buy something here, move in with Mummy and Daddy or go south...it sounds like your big-time real estate investor Dad might have a thing or two to tell you. Jesus, I've never seen anyone complain so much as you!

I apologize to all the chicks here...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Newsflash - nobody is "crazy about" their first house. You start with something you can afford, and work your way up.

...for the 10th time.
I wish I can see him on Property Virgin getting schooled by Sandra.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,857 times
Quote:
I expect to stay at my first house for at least 5 years or so.
So you only expect to stay 5 years? It seems like you expect the perfect place, and then this statement. If the place you expect to find is so perfect why give it up so quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut