Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times

Advertisements

and why buy a house in an area you are already planning to move away from in a few years?

in case you didn't hear, the real estate bubble isn't still going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
and why buy a house in an area you are already planning to move away from in a few years?

in case you didn't hear, the real estate bubble isn't still going on
This.

It's going to take 5 years to see ANY return when you figure in closing costs and selling fees, as well as repairs. Not really worth it if you're not sure about where you want to live and not wiling to settle.

Renting sucks, but being tied down with something you're miserable about is worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This.

It's going to take 5 years to see ANY return when you figure in closing costs and selling fees, as well as repairs. Not really worth it if you're not sure about where you want to live and not wiling to settle.

Renting sucks, but being tied down with something you're miserable about is worse.
Yes, that is a huge fear I have. Even 5 years seems like a very long time to live in one place. Being tied down to a mortgage and living in the same place for years and years. I prefer to move around every few years. I am not the type of person who likes long-term committment or obligations.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 AM

71 posts, read 122,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If I have gas or oil heating, I am budgeting for about $120 a month on a 1,000 sq ft home, during peak winter months. That is, leaving the heat at around 70-75 degrees, depending on the house. I would shut the heat off during business hours. Does this sound realistic?

My heat is at 65, I have a 1000 square ft house, built in the 40's no real insulation, I have CNG, I lived here for 20 years,, I do have Central Air, I put my electric on budget so it runs $134.00,,, my mom's apt slightly bigger she kept at 76 was more like $225.00-235.00 a month.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
My god, are you a chick? Suck it up and either buy something here, move in with Mummy and Daddy or go south...it sounds like your big-time real estate investor Dad might have a thing or two to tell you. Jesus, I've never seen anyone complain so much as you!

I apologize to all the chicks here...

Woohoo! Someone finally said it!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Yes, that is a huge fear I have. Even 5 years seems like a very long time to live in one place. Being tied down to a mortgage and living in the same place for years and years. I prefer to move around every few years. I am not the type of person who likes long-term committment or obligations.
Rent.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
So basically the solution is to suck it up and settle for a house I'm not so crazy about. I get it.
It's called not being a spoiled brat who is used to getting everything they want, whenever they want, exactly how they want it. Nobody gets everything they want. You make the best compromises in life you can and be happy and grateful for what you have.

Quote:
I'm not really typing this to you, as you seem to have your mind made up that this will not work no matter what unless you get some $400,000 house. I'm typing it for others who might come upon this thread.

Purchasing a 180K house with 30K down, leaving a 150K balance at 4.5% interest rate on a 15 year mortgage takes $41,000 off the principle in 5 years. So provided there is not a serious collapse in the market, you are looking at 70-90K potential in your pocket after 5 years. Yea, go ahead and keep on renting.

I would never ever do a 30 year mortgage again. Never. 15 year or nothing. Take a look at this amortization table to get an idea. (Be sure to click "see details by year")

Mortgage Amortization Calculator

Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's called not being a spoiled brat who is used to getting everything they want, whenever they want, exactly how they want it. Nobody gets everything they want. You make the best compromises in life you can and be happy and grateful for what you have.

I'm not really typing this to you, as you seem to have your mind made up that this will not work no matter what unless you get some $400,000 house. I'm typing it for others who might come upon this thread.

Purchasing a 180K house with 30K down, leaving a 150K balance at 4.5% interest rate on a 15 year mortgage takes $41,000 off the principle in 5 years. So provided there is not a serious collapse in the market, you are looking at 70-90K potential in your pocket after 5 years. Yea, go ahead and keep on renting.

I would never ever do a 30 year mortgage again. Never. 15 year or nothing. Take a look at this amortization table to get an idea. (Be sure to click "see details by year")

Mortgage Amortization Calculator
Are you kidding? I can't afford a $30K downpayment, nor can I afford a 15-year mortgage unless the house is like under $100K.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? I can't afford a $30K downpayment, nor can I afford a 15-year mortgage unless the house is like under $100K.
Then you should not be having the conversation of purchasing a home and/or b*tching about everything you have. You are not ready. Save your money like everyone used to, put down 20% and get a conventional non government backed loan. This is not hard.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Y'know what, nep? It's not the right time -- and maybe not the right place, either -- for you to buy a house.

First of all, you're saying that you like to move around; that you can't see yourself staying put for 5+ years. Well, a house is not just a commitment -- it can also be an albatross hanging around your neck. If you're ready to move, you have to be able to sell that house. That may not happen as quickly as you'd like it to happen. If you need to be "moveable," then you should keep renting.

Another reason to keep renting: The upkeep of a house is expensive. Sure, you've factored in the known issues (such as heating, insurance, lawn care, snow removal), but there's always unknown "stuff" that happens. Your boiler needs annual maintenance but a part may need to be replaced, a tree may need to be cut down, leaks somehow just happen when you least expect it, your fridge could stop cooling properly and need to be replaced. I could go on and on.

They say that owning a home is an ongoing project -- you ALWAYS have something to do. There's always a list of things to get to.

Maybe this just isn't the right time in your life to jump into such a big commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut