Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,928,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry guys, but I wouldn't purchase a home with electric heat either. My first home had it, and in a state where utilities are the highest in the country, it really broke the bank.

This is one area where I, personally, wouldn't budge.
^^ This. Exactly this.

Especially because nep likes to keep his toes toasty in the winter.

Seriously, I'm one of those people who has a "must have," a "like to have" and a "absolutely cannot have" list when looking for a house.

Absolutely cannot haves: electric heating and a swimming pool (I don't swim and I don't want the liability and expense of something that I'm not going to use).

I don't keep my heat up to 75 -- not even close -- but that would be impossible with electric heating. $$$$$

I'm also one of those people who is blinded by something great (oh look! shiny!), and then I overlook the bad. But when it comes to the "absolutely cannot have" list, I don't even go look at the house. So "oh look! shiny!" can't even come into play.

The "must have" and the "absolutely cannot have" lists are crucial when looking for a house, although you might find that some "must have" items eventually make their way to the "like to have" list (and you don't get them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,878,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You're not likely to find natural gas heat in those very suburban or country locations you favor. Much too expensive for the gas company to run lines to spread out homes on big lots. Natural gas tends to be a city or subdivision amenity. That doesn't mean never, but simply much less likely.

You will more commonly find electric heat, oil heat and sometimes individual propane gas services ( either a buried tank or canister tanks).

As for keeping it 75 degrees, good luck with that. In an apartment where the heat may be included with your rent and you are cozily tucked in with another unit above, below or next to you, keeping the cold at bay, you can afford 75 degrees.

When you're paying by the gallon on your own- 75 degrees is cash going ka-ching, ka- ching out the window. I think you'll soon learn to do what the rest of us tend to do, lower the heat, add another layer of clothes and perhaps start looking into a wood or pellet stove, etc .
I refuse to "lower the heat" and wear sweaters and bulky clothing, in the comfort of my own home. How depressing that would be. When it's cold in my home, I get depressed and my mind is focused on staying warm, the whole time. One of my biggest pet peaves is being indoors, in a house that's below 70 degrees. I gave my parents hell for this, when I used to live with them. If I can't have the comfort of being able to wear a T-shirt indoors, during the winter, then I don't want the house. This is one of those things that are in my "absolutely must have" list. Even if it means not being able to buy a house. I'd rather rent for that matter.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM

21,582 posts, read 31,038,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I refuse to "lower the heat" and wear sweaters and bulky clothing, in the comfort of my own home. How depressing that would be. When it's cold in my home, I get depressed and my mind is focused on staying warm, the whole time. One of my biggest pet peaves is being indoors, in a house that's below 70 degrees. I gave my parents hell for this, when I used to live with them. If I can't have the comfort of being able to wear a T-shirt indoors, during the winter, then I don't want the house. This is one of those things that are in my "absolutely must have" list. Even if it means not being able to buy a house. I'd rather rent for that matter.
You'll change your tune really fast once you see how much it costs to fill up your oil tank!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You'll change your tune really fast once you see how much it costs to fill up your oil tank!
If I have gas or oil heating, I am budgeting for about $120 a month on a 1,000 sq ft home, during peak winter months. That is, leaving the heat at around 70-75 degrees, depending on the house. I would shut the heat off during business hours. Does this sound realistic?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,953,783 times
Quote:
If I have gas or oil heating, I am budgeting for about $120 a month on a 1,000 sq ft home, during peak winter months. That is, leaving the heat at around 70-75 degrees, depending on the house. I would shut the heat off during business hours. Does this sound realistic?
lol NO! You are about to see the pain you inflicted on your "heat included" landlord.

@75* you will probably blow through about 100 gallons a month at least. Do the math Mr Accountant.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
At 75 degrees, you're probably looking at double that - AT LEAST! I could be wrong - maybe someone with a similarly sized home can chime in.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 AM

34,774 posts, read 56,613,662 times
Quote:
That one is nice, but probably won't fit into my budget. Plus, there's only like 10 feet between neighboring houses, which is a major turn off. Might as well get a condo (which I won't do).
The price listed is the asking price, not what you are going to pay. You could offer much lower and see where they go. As for the closeness of the houses, remember you are just starting out and need to compromise on some of your wish list items. If this is too urban for you then I would recommend looking further out and east of the Connecticut River. Jay

Old 10-05-2011, 06:41 AM

34,774 posts, read 56,613,662 times
Quote:
70-75 degrees??? Are you kidding? In the dead of winter this will seem positively balmy. More realistic to set the temp at 68 when you are home during the day, 64 overnight and when you are not home. That will really save you. Jay

Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
70-75 degrees??? Are you kidding? In the dead of winter this will seem positively balmy. More realistic to set the temp at 68 when you are home during the day, 64 overnight and when you are not home. That will really save you. Jay
Are you kidding? 68 degrees is cold for an indoor environment during the winter. It's also easier to get sick that way, for me. Overnight is when I turn the heat up the highest....well, between 6AM and 8AM it's the highest, because that's when it's the coldest outside. There's nothing worse than getting out of bed into a cold room in the morning.

@ JViello: Heat is not included in my rent. I have to pay for it. And this past winter, the highest peak gas heating cost for me was $111.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding? 68 degrees is cold for an indoor environment during the winter. It's also easier to get sick that way, for me. Overnight is when I turn the heat up the highest....well, between 6AM and 8AM it's the highest, because that's when it's the coldest outside. There's nothing worse than getting out of bed into a cold room in the morning.

@ JViello: Heat is not included in my rent. I have to pay for it. And this past winter, the highest peak gas heating cost for me was $111.
You're going to have a serious monthly bill, then. I have mine on a timer. At 10 pm, it drops to 63 - At 6 am, it's set to go up to 68. Why would you need heat at night? You're under a blanket anyway.

You might want to look into a pellet stove...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut