Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
That's a whole new thread... THIS thread is about the lack of visible stop signs and people lack of common sense when it comes to pulling out from a side street or parking lot...btw,@ least folks in VA WILL stop at a stop sign and you don't have to worry about being T-Boned by someone coming out of a parking lot
• Drivers entering a road from a driveway, alley or roadside must yield to vehicles already on the main road.

DMV: Chapter 4

The real problem is we are not properly taught how to drive and follow the rules of the road other than the basics. Although I do see huge SUV's run through red lights almost every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
The real problem is we are not properly taught how to drive and follow the rules of the road other than the basics. Although I do see huge SUV's run through red lights almost every day.
I disagree - it's well known that no matter where you are, that you yield to oncoming traffic.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Spent the day in central VT. Like Maine, natives stop for you in a crosswalk, we all drove brisk, but courteous. etc (MA/NJ/NY visitors aside. I watched a person from NJ almost mow down someone in a cross walk slamming on their brakes last minute with a look on their face that they were shocked someone would dare cross the street. )

When I hit the Northern Springfield metro, all hell broke loose with multiple tailgaters in high dollar luxo cars, and hooptie ghetto rides passing swerving etc...culminating with a newer Audi S4 flying up on myself on I291 going 69mph in the right lane and a minivan going 70ish in the left lane. He decided brakes were optional and tried to get by in the ending right 3rd merge lane from an onramp. Needless to say the ahole didn't make it, blew by us in the breakdown lane going about 90mph and kicked up a rock and put nice gouge and dent in the hood of our 6 month old car. Great. Thanks. If I didn't have the wife and kids, I would have chased him down and at least got a plate #.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
• Drivers entering a road from a driveway, alley or roadside must yield to vehicles already on the main road.

DMV: Chapter 4

Yielding to oncoming traffic does -not- equate to stopping first. If there is no oncoming traffic, then you don't have to stop at all. Upon approach to the intersection, you're expected to slow down at least long enough to notice whether or not it's safe and appropriate to continue. If it's not safe and appropriate, then you stop until it is. If it is safe and appropriate then you roll through.

The only time you have to actually -stop- (meaning, come to a complete stop, regardless of the current status of oncoming traffic) is if there is either a stop sign, a stop light, or a thick white line at the intersection on your lane, painted on the road. That line - is the line most people forget about or ignore. It means stop.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times
We moved here from Maine a few years ago and I still can't get over how rude people drive. Pulling out in front of you, tail gating two feet off your bumper. I have had people honk at me because they had to wait for me to pull into my drive way.I am thankful I take the train to work so I don't have to deal with the commute.
I was jokingly telling my uncle in Maine I think it is a state law in CT to drive two feet behind the vehicle in front of you. He laughed and told me the other day a car from CT was behind him for about 10 miles doing this. They were the only two cars on the road.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
We moved here from Maine a few years ago and I still can't get over how rude people drive. Pulling out in front of you, tail gating two feet off your bumper. I have had people honk at me because they had to wait for me to pull into my drive way.I am thankful I take the train to work so I don't have to deal with the commute.
I was jokingly telling my uncle in Maine I think it is a state law in CT to drive two feet behind the vehicle in front of you. He laughed and told me the other day a car from CT was behind him for about 10 miles doing this. They were the only two cars on the road.
You are coming from a state with a much slower pace to life than here in Connecticut. From your post I am assuming you live in or near one of the major counties (Fairfield, New Haven Hartford). If you go to other parts of the state like Litchfield, Windham or Tolland counties you will see much different driving habits. Then again, compared to Maine, they are still less curtious. Doesn't Maine have a law or at least an unwritten rule that you must let people turning left from a side street go? Jay

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Doesn't Maine have a law or at least an unwritten rule that you must let people turning left from a side street go? Jay
Really??

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Really??
I do not know if it is the law but they do stop and let people making a left out of a side street. Kind of nice actually. Though I will say here in Glastonbury I find people to be nice too letting me out of a driveway every morning when I am trying to take a left. They also let me merge into a line of traffic when I am coming out of side street. Jay

Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times
That is funny! There are a lot of people that do that. Yes we are in Fairfield. Actually plan on moving to NE Ct within a few months. We seem to fit it in in that neck of the woods! Lol!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
Connecticut is more like Europeans when it comes to driving maybe not, but yeah... just my oppinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut