Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I want to know how this turns out too. JViello and Nep will be neighbors
Isn't the saying in real estate "follow the gays" for a good return? This is self interest. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not when you figure in closing costs, property taxes and homeowners insurance. And repairs/upkeep. Also monthly PMI/FHA insurance (FHA is another lump upfront cost too) unless you can put down 20%.

I guess the write-off helps.
To be fair though, aside from PMI that stuff is built into the rental rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You guys, really need to give this kid a break.

He's been trying to make this decision for a couple of years. Now he made one. Good for him. Don't tell me that you didn't go in to home ownership the first time with a bit of enthusiasm and some unrealistic expectations?

It's a home. It's an anchor. It's a great first step in growing up, creating some stability. Now maybe he'll find a nice boy.

Nep, congrats. I hope it works out for you.
I definitely mirror that sentiment. Seeing him consider Manchester alone is a huge leap from where he was a couple years ago. Good luck Nep. You're welcome to visit anytime. mlassoff can tell you, I'm actually a nice guy in person. lol Maybe when the deal is closed, I'll swing by with a house warming gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
All,

Despite all the excitement going on in this thread, I had just had a serious conversation with my parents, who are real estate investors / property managers. We have concluded that making a home purchase at this time in this economy is simply not a wise idea. Therefore, tomorrow, I will be withdrawing from the negotiation process. I will not be purchasing a house. Yet I came closer than ever.

"Never catch a falling knife," my father said.

Just look at the way the market has been performing over the past 5 years. Down, down and DOWN! It's common sense. Back in 2009, everyone was saying "buy, buy, buy!" Now it's 2011 and look what happened. Property values continued to plummet. This girl bought this house for $198K in 2009, and now she's resorted to asking $169,900. You know what? Check back in 2013, I bet that house will be worth $149K.

Yes, interest rates are at historic lows. Yes, the market has declined considerably, making it more affordable for buyers. But why inherit the problem? We can't ignore that fact that a home is an investment. The proper time to purchase a home would be after a few years of consistent increase in market values. Only then would I be comfortable and confident that it is more likely than not that my investment would appreciate.

That's all.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All,

Despite all the excitement going on in this thread, I had just had a serious conversation with my parents, who are real estate investors / property managers. We have concluded that making a home purchase at this time in this economy is simply not a wise idea.

Aren't these the same parents that are actively shopping for a million-dollar personal residence?

Are they bi-polar or something?????

I just don't understand........................................ ..

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Aren't these the same parents that are actively shopping for a million-dollar personal residence?

Are they bi-polar or something?????

I just don't understand........................................ ..
They have money to burn lol.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
"Never catch a falling knife," my father said
Not bad advice, but also easy to say when you are sitting pretty on plenty of assets.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:

i had just had a serious conversation with my parents, who are real estate investors / property managers. We have concluded that making a home purchase at this time in this economy is simply not a wise idea. Therefore, tomorrow, i will be withdrawing from the negotiation process. I will not be purchasing a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnhusky1 View Post
haha...this just keeps getting better. I love this entertainment!
lmfao.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
All,

Despite all the excitement going on in this thread, I had just had a serious conversation with my parents, who are real estate investors / property managers. We have concluded that making a home purchase at this time in this economy is simply not a wise idea. Therefore, tomorrow, I will be withdrawing from the negotiation process. I will not be purchasing a house. Yet I came closer than ever.

Just look at the way the market has been performing over the past 5 years. Down, down and DOWN! It's common sense. Back in 2009, everyone was saying "buy, buy, buy!" Now it's 2011 and look what happened. Property values continued to plummet. This girl bought this house for $198K in 2009, and now she's resorted to asking $169,900. You know what? Check back in 2013, I bet that house will be worth $149K.

Yes, interest rates are at historic lows. Yes, the market has declined considerably, making it more affordable for buyers. But why inherit the problem? We can't ignore that fact that a home is an investment. The proper time to purchase a home would be after a few years of consistent increase in market values. Only then would I be comfortable and confident that it is more likely than not that my investment would appreciate.

That's all.
I'm happy that you spoke with your parents.

If you feel good about your decision (and there's no reason that you shouldn't feel good about it), then I'm happy for you.

While renting has stress factors, owning has its own stress factors, too. And the latter cost money.

Stay put. Let the economy right itself. There will always be houses out there that you love... when you're ready.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Nep, I think you've made the right decision for where you're at right now. You've come closer than ever, gotten lots of sound advice and once you're ready, you'll be ahead of the game (because that's what it is: a game).

Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nep, I think you've made the right decision for where you're at right now. You've come closer than ever, gotten lots of sound advice and once you're ready, you'll be ahead of the game (because that's what it is: a game).
^^ That's what I meant to say.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
So now what are you going to do Nep? Find another rental to complain about?

We moved to Westport because we wanted a home there. We liked the condo, the community and I like the feeling of being :04 minutes from where I grew up. I like seeing people I've known for 20 years and frequenting the places that I have always enjoyed. We enjoy walking the beach and I like to get a bit of fishing going in the spring and fall.

We don't want to lose money on the place and it's unlikely we will. We were looking for a home.

My/our investments are in mutual funds, stocks, bonds and in my company. Those are investments. Nothing as emotional as your home should really be thought of as an investment. Go visit the home you grew up in and see what emotions it conjures up. I bet the first one isn't "I bet mom and dad made a killing on that place."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut