Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,065,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I bet! And we only had a few months of it. You've got... oh, I'll shut up now.
You got me calculating ..have been paying 110 dollars a week here for daycare the last 4 and a half years...that was one place I have to admit where I was better off down here. What is it up there on an average now ..about 250?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,853,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Same here..we bought in Charlotte in 07 and were just thrilled to sell the thing this year. We feel lucky to have even sold it..how crazy is that? Lots of inventory here. I was telling someone this year the buyers used me like a punching bag. Next year its MY turn.
I hope so!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You got me calculating ..have been paying 110 dollars a week here for daycare the last 4 and a half years...that was one place I have to admit where I was better off down here. What is it up there on an average now ..about 250?
You'll have to ask JViello about this; I don't know, sorry.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM

83,275 posts, read 74,477,134 times
One last comment from me... When people stop calling real estate "an investment", they'll be happy no matter where they buy or how bad the market is.

It's not an investment, its a way to live comfortably with a roof over your head. If you have to sell at your purchase price. So be it. If you have to sell under your purchase price, so be it. At least you had a place to live.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,853,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
One last comment from me... When people stop calling real estate "an investment", they'll be happy no matter where they buy or how bad the market is.

It's not an investment, its a way to live comfortably with a roof over your head. If you have to sell at your purchase price. So be it. If you have to sell under your purchase price, so be it. At least you had a place to live.
I agree with this.

We wanted that house. We wanted a new kitchen. We decided to move. We bought a new house that we loved. We sold the old house.

We always needed a place to live.

The loss? I considered that the cost of living somewhere for the four years that we were there. Kind of like paying rent, but to ourselves.

While I would have liked to NOT lose all that money, I wouldn't have changed anything else about the experience. Well, I could have lived without the stress of not knowing WHEN it would sell.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,441,385 times
LOL that is funny, 90 days is too long?? heck my house was on the market for almost 2 yrs before it finally sold two years ago. Course we started at $669K and ended at $480K... that was DURING the housing crash of course.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,292,114 times
I was going to say - i live in rural NJ, and just happened to see the title of this thread while i was browsing the board.

There are several houses (at least 3) in my area that have been for sale for two to FOUR YEARS. Around here the market is terrible right now. I want to list mine, and the price i got when i got a CMA done is ridiculous (low). I have to make some money so i can buy another house!

I cannot list my house at such a price, when 2 years ago it would have gone for $40,000 more. Sucks.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,065,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I was going to say - i live in rural NJ, and just happened to see the title of this thread while i was browsing the board.

There are several houses (at least 3) in my area that have been for sale for two to FOUR YEARS. Around here the market is terrible right now. I want to list mine, and the price i got when i got a CMA done is ridiculous (low). I have to make some money so i can buy another house!

I cannot list my house at such a price, when 2 years ago it would have gone for $40,000 more. Sucks.

Good luck.
But Jellybean, the house you BUY will be alot cheaper too, dont forget that.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM

273 posts, read 953,500 times
Northern Fairfield County case study:
  • Spring 1991 Completed large custom built house with many extras
  • (15 years of life)
  • Fall 2006:Original sale listing @ +30% 1991 building cost/improvements
  • Spring 2007 Reduced 5%
  • Spring 2008 Reduced 10%
  • Spring 2009 Reduced 12%
  • Spring 2009 sold @ -30% original listing price about equal to 1991 build cost
Disclaimer: starting and ending prices accurate. Intermediate reductions approximate.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
(1) How long is considered too long for a house to be on the market? Is there a rule of thumb?
That really depends far more on when they start their shot clock.
Too many start the sell process before they are really ready to sell
(egriced right, presentation, priced right, condition, priced right, season, priced right, etc) and because of this will have the property sitting there, wasting time and effort.

Quote:
(2) Should I even concern myself with this, or is it a non issue?
Until you're ready to move... it's pretty much a non issue.

hth

Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
I actually made money on my last house, and it sold in 12 days for over asking price. Granted we put some elbow grease into it (blood, sweat, tears - literally) but it paid off. We added a fence (I constructed it myself), and changed cosmetics like outdoor lights, mailbox, shutters, dug up some nasty looking bushes/replaced with new ones, painted the deck and the entire interior of the home (more work than it sounds, trust me), shampooed carpets in the bedrooms to make them look brand new (and they did) and powerwashd the exterior.

It was a lot of work but I was more than satisfied with the return. If you spruce up the home a little, and price it right, it will go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut