Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 PM

14 posts, read 24,470 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job in Long Island. I am from TX he is from TN. I know I am in for the shock of a lifetime. I am concerned about were to live. I have heard that we could find more of a neighborhood feel in CT than in NY. We have 4 kids from age 6 to 10. I have heard that everything is expensive up north. Can anyone give me an idea of electric, water, gas for your home, child care cost and groceries. In TX milk is 3.48 a gallon. We live in a 2600 sq ft house that is a 4/2/2 and pay $1500 a month.

Thanks for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM

184 posts, read 292,306 times
I wouldn't recommend commuting from LI to CT or vice versa. One of the big costs you will incur is transportation. From a health and quality of life perspective, with the kids you probably want to live as close to work as possible.

You can find comparable costs of living here, but you may have to be willing to live with less space, etc., just as you would if you moved to France or Italy. People do this here and it seems to work out just fine in terms of people's health, well being, quality of life, income and educational opportunities. On the Human Development Index ranking, CT ranks #1 of any state in the United States (if it were a separate nation, it would be similar to Norway or Sweden), whereas Texas is near the bottom of the heap, so to speak.

Milk is about the same price, at least where I buy it.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
You cannot commute from CT to LI every day. It's just not really feasible. I recommend posting on the NY board. You're going to have to live on LI. There are some really nice towns that have a neighborhood feel, and many communities are very closely knit. It depends where his job is in LI, it's a deceptively big island and commuting from one end to the other would be brutal with traffic. There's also the train line to consider in case he needs/wants to commute by train.

For the house you describe, plan on spending between $2000-$3000/month in LI, depending on the area. Some more affluent communities could bring that up significantly.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
I know quite a few people who commute from Nassau County to Stamford/Norwalk - it's certainly feasible. It's not short though. That said, the suburbs in CT closest to Long Island are among the most expensive in the country (Greenwich, Stamford, Darien), so you're looking at big bucks for housing/utilities/taxes.

If you're looking at a job in LI, your best bet is to move to LI. It's very expensive up here though - not like TN or TX.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 10-26-2011 at 06:01 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times
You're better off on LI than in CT if the job is on LI. Long Island is very deceptive. Although Fairfield County is only about 25 miles away from my location, to get there, I have to drive 40 miles east to get to the Cross Island and the Throgs Neck Bridge, then come back east. It gets pricy with tolls, gas, sitting in traffic etc. You really can't take the trains either because you have to take the LIRR to Penn Station, then take the subway to Grand Central, then get on the Metro North to CT. And the LIRR is notoriously unreliable. There are 2 ferries going from LI to CT but they're expensive if you're bringing a car.

Driving on LI is horrible. 20 miles can take you over an hour to commute.

There are some great areas on LI and the folks on the LI board are very knowledgeable people and will help you find a great area on LI. I know my neighborhood here is fantastic, great sense of community and walkable but it comes at a premium because it is a village.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Driving on LI is horrible. 20 miles can take you over an hour to commute.
And on 95 in Connecticut, it's no different.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And on 95 in Connecticut, it's no different.
Right.

Now add the two together..............

No fun.

I just saw the OP's other post on the LI forum. The job is located in southern west Suffolk county. That's a good 2hr + commute on a good day during normal rush hours.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Right.

Now add the two together..............

No fun.

I just saw the OP's other post on the LI forum. The job is located in southern west Suffolk county. That's a good 2hr + commute on a good day during normal rush hours.
Completely agree. There aren't any affordable towns in SW CT within commuting distance to Long Island to make the commute worth it. To top it off, 95 in CT is a parking lot for 20+ miles from Bridgeport on down.

I know a few people who commute to Stamford from Great Neck and Glen Cove. I'm told it can be done in 35 minutes off peak, but if their hours were 8-5, you're looking at 1.5 hours + each way.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I have to agree with the others. Moving to Connecticut and commuting to a job on Long Island is not a good idea. Long Island has many great communities and your husband's commute will be shorter and less stressful which will make life at home better. Jay

Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

71 posts, read 122,357 times
Can you just say stress, stress,, your better off taking a lesser job and save your health..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut