Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,972,037 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jay

sky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misueno View Post
Back on topic (with a side note)

Maestro, just bringing her to the area could be enough. It worked for me. I've been looking for a new place to call home for awhile now and with the help of this forum I'm focused on the Hartford area.

And what's not to love? It's beautiful. The surrounding communities are beautiful, each with individual identities but close enough to add up to an area where everything you could possibly want is close at hand - restaurants, shops, arts! Add to that two hours to New York or Boston, a short jump to the shore, the Berkshires, or Rhode Island. I'm swooning. Plus four seasons! Real seasons! And not ridiculously extreme seasons (I'm currently in southern Virginia).

For good measure my husband and I are planning to spend November and December in Hartford to get better acquainted, but as of now I have a hard time believing I'll change my mind.

As a side note - In my search I have spent the last several months trolling the forums for Connecticut, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Pennslyvania, and Delaware and I have to say that Connecticut is hands down the friendliest, most helpful, and proudest forum of the bunch. JayCT and Skytrekker are amongst those who have given multiple helpful suggestions and the major influence in dragging me to the Hartford area (a place I had never even considered). Thanks!

misueno

I am thankful for the kind words- and so glad you have spoken of the CT forum in such glowing terms.

Glad you like the state and central CT- November is a great time to visit us- December can be problematic.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 PM

175 posts, read 669,732 times
At the risk of straying from the topic again, thanks Jay and Sky - your welcoming hearts and eager assistance are part of what makes this forum great. November and December make sense for several reasons. First, and not the least, I have some work I need to do at the Bushnell during that period. Second, your right, if I still love Hartford at a low, I'll really love it at it's peak. Finally, now that I've chosen an area, I'm too impatient to wait until every thing is perfect.

And don't worry, I've lived in cold weather before. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Only downside is that short term, furnished apartments in Hartford can, surprisingly, eclipse New York prices. There are precious few offered. I'll be there this week to look into a few. Wish me luck.

And good luck to you Maestro. I hope she loves it! (Be sure to have dinner in any one of the darling restaurants in West Hartford Center - it feels like community).

Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 PM

893 posts, read 780,975 times
Default well well well....don't attack the messenger

I've studied the CT realestate market for almost 15 years. I am not from the south, but have spent 25 years everywhere in the southeast. I'm from the midwest. We have moved every three years if not more, so I get alot of education. I figured we would have to spend 1.5 mil to get our house up here. I was wrong, you can't get my house up here at all. Ask my realtor, she agrees and has seen my house in Georgia. You have one of the most beautiful states in America and chose to build big 5000 sq ft VINYL houses. Talk about plastic! I know alll about winter, I'm from Iowa, the smartest state in the country as far as testing goes and this week on TV I learned that one third of CT schools where BELOW federal standards. Gosh.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,645,691 times
New England in general doesn't make any sense anymore. Unless you inherit housing and a trust fund, you're just going to break your back just staying afloat. My best friend is from Boston and he has seen the demographic shift in New England in general in the past 10 years. If I had a quarter for every New Englander who's transplating themselves to NC, SC and GA I could afford a home in New England myself lol. That's the irony right there, the migration is mostly to the south, and some to the Midwest, in spite of whatever lack of character houses may or may not have in GA. To old school New Englanders I say, get accustomed to have your great cities be serviced and populated by Brazilian immigrants, because thats the only people who'll be left after everybody else who didn't already inherit their home has left for more affordable regions (with better climate to boot) of this country. Don't get me wrong, there is value to some of the geography of the region, but from an economic perspective, New England is elitist, cost prohibitive by design, and in the end is putting its own nails in the coffin (refer to South american immigration trends in the last decade coupled with depopulation of about every other domestic ethnicity including whites who cannot afford to live there).

Old 09-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
New England in general doesn't make any sense anymore. Unless you inherit housing and a trust fund, you're just going to break your back just staying afloat. My best friend is from Boston and he has seen the demographic shift in New England in general in the past 10 years. If I had a quarter for every New Englander who's transplating themselves to NC, SC and GA I could afford a home in New England myself lol. That's the irony right there, the migration is mostly to the south, and some to the Midwest, in spite of whatever lack of character houses may or may not have in GA. To old school New Englanders I say, get accustomed to have your great cities be serviced and populated by Brazilian immigrants, because thats the only people who'll be left after everybody else who didn't already inherit their home has left for more affordable regions (with better climate to boot) of this country. Don't get me wrong, there is value to some of the geography of the region, but from an economic perspective, New England is elitist, cost prohibitive by design, and in the end is putting its own nails in the coffin (refer to South american immigration trends in the last decade coupled with depopulation of about every other domestic ethnicity including whites who cannot afford to live there).
New England and Connecticut has become very competitive cost wise in many ways -plus with much less stress then many other booming regions including the south. The poster's emphasis on certain ethnic immigration is unfortunate. I wonder as a gay man or women would I feel comfortable in Georgia, North Carolina or South Carolina (which rate for quality of life issues in the lower quarter of US States). The future looks at information, tolerance, alternative lifestyles and intellect. Does the south offer this?

Those in the south look at New England as 'elitist'--- not true. Many people here struggle to survive like anywhere (like me).
What is the south?- if I could use the same stereotypic hyperbole? Red Neck/ bible belt?

Housing prices in Greater Boston are lower then Washington DC, and Miami Florida. Cost restrictive in the rest of New England?
Median home prices are nearly the same in Hartford, and Richmond VA....

Before we try and write misinformation- trash a regions culture- for whatever motives or intent- lets try and get our facts straight and up to date. 'Trolling' into a site with negative messages, is unfortuante especially when much of what has been said is not true,and for the most part eerily sounds like sound bites from Fox News.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-02-2007 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
OK people, I need your help.

What do you experts suggest we go do?
That's right sell her, it's much more profitable than divorce.... Man I wish I had sold mine...

Sorry, I couldn't help it I saw the subject my mind went there.

I know, tells you about my mind.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:54 PM

34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I've studied the CT realestate market for almost 15 years. I am not from the south, but have spent 25 years everywhere in the southeast. I'm from the midwest. We have moved every three years if not more, so I get alot of education. I figured we would have to spend 1.5 mil to get our house up here. I was wrong, you can't get my house up here at all. Ask my realtor, she agrees and has seen my house in Georgia. You have one of the most beautiful states in America and chose to build big 5000 sq ft VINYL houses. Talk about plastic! I know alll about winter, I'm from Iowa, the smartest state in the country as far as testing goes and this week on TV I learned that one third of CT schools where BELOW federal standards. Gosh.
I am confused, do you live in Connecticut now or not? In case you hadn't noticed, big 5000 square foot vinyl homes are being built everywhere these days including your beloved Georgia. The difference is that you don't see them being built on a 50 by 100 foot lot like they are in other parts of the country. They generally are being built on acre lots here. thye look much better and more in proportion to the property size.

As for education, I believe you are referring to the "No Child Left Behind" results in which 1/3 of Connecticut schools are on the list of not meeting the Federal Standards set under this unfunded Federal Act. If you read carefully the criteria it applies to the results of the entire school including english as a second language or special needs students. Since Connecticut schools believes in "Main Streaming" all students (which most educators will tell you is the best way to educate students) our schools are judged with these students as well. Other states segregate their students which skews the results. "No Child Left Behind" has good intentions, but is seriously flawed in reasoning. It was geared toward dealing with the large County-wide public school systems found in other parts of the country, not the locally-run systems here in the northeast. Jay.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:26 PM

893 posts, read 780,975 times
It is not my beloved Georgia. This isn't about Georgia or the south.
This is about finding quality not quantity. I'm sorry if I offended you or maybe I hit a sore spot.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Jay is totally correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut