Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM

24 posts, read 39,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I'm a bit confused - why would half of the reason you want to leave the state of CT be because of the opinions of a dozen or so people on an internet forum? It's pretty simple to either turn off the computer or just ignore what is being written. If you don't like the CT forum for whatever reason, it is your right to stop reading what is written.

I moved to CT (Fairfield) almost 5 yrs ago after living in Manhattan and Hoboken, NJ for the decade prior. Let me tell you - it's like the deep south (in friendliness terms) in comparison. Living there, people would step over or around you if you were lying bleeding on the sidewalk because they had somewhere more important to go to. Unless, of course, you had a dog, in which case everyone was your friend. Bizarre. Anyway - nearly everyone we've met in CT has been nothing but friendly, warm, welcoming. Yes - there are those that are rude. But you have rude people everywhere. Walking around the neighborhood I live in, people are always saying hi, stopping to talk, or at worst giving a courteous wave. That is a fact. Saying "People are just unfriendly and rude here." without any supporting info or just over-generalizing is not fact - it is somewhere between a rant and an opinion.

Back to your original point... yes - it is super expensive and there are plenty of corrupt politicians and government workers. The expensive part is the same just about everywhere within 100 miles of NYC - some more than others. Corruption in government employment is everywhere - sure there are honest workers, but there are several bad apples that make the news and cause us to distrust the rest.
May I ask what does 95% of your rantings have to do with this forum??????????????
Confused??

Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastyc6 View Post
May I ask what does 95% of your rantings have to do with this forum??????????????
Confused??
Everything Todd said is correct.

Welcome, newbie.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
I do remember reading about the elderly guy who got hit by a car in Hartford and no one would stop to help him at all! Also, just because "your" experience was meeting super friendly people in CT doesn't mean that was everyone's experience toddb!

"I moved to CT (Fairfield) almost 5 yrs ago after living in Manhattan and Hoboken, NJ for the decade prior. Let me tell you - it's like the deep south (in friendliness terms) in comparison. Living there, people would step over or around you if you were lying bleeding on the sidewalk because they had somewhere more important to go to. Unless, of course, you had a dog, in which case everyone was your friend. Bizarre. Anyway - nearly everyone we've met in CT has been nothing but friendly, warm, welcoming. Yes - there are those that are rude. But you have rude people everywhere. Walking around the neighborhood I live in, people are always saying hi, stopping to talk, or at worst giving a courteous wave. That is a fact. Saying "People are just unfriendly and rude here." without any supporting info or just over-generalizing is not fact - it is somewhere between a rant and an opinion."

No one is ranting here either. I'm just expressing what I'm seen with my own two eyes... it's not an OPINION, it's a FACT!
you're saying MA is superior to CT, right?

I grew up in MA near Boston, I've lived in the boonies out in central MA, North Shore, South Shore.

I don't think MA is superior or less costly than CT. I moved from MA to Long Island 4 years ago. The only thing I really miss is being able to get in the car and just drive aimlessly. Being surrounded by water on all sides makes that unenjoyable. And hills. I miss hills LOL. The costs between most of CT and most of MA? Comparable. Fairfield county from what I've seen is pretty comparable to living in Boston and surrounding suburbs. I've never found people in CT to be any ruder than MA people.

Rude people are everywhere, so are friendly people. Corruption is everywhere (Big Dig??) Some things cost more in CT, some cost more in MA.

The grass isn't always greener...........

Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM

I read that article too monday. You are off on the Genetic giveback. It is $290,000,000 forgiven over several years if 300 new employees move in to a billion dollar research center at UCONN.

This is why CT may have a low corporate tax rate because of all the give backs. However if you are a small employer a S corp or LLC (under 200 employees) the state will tell you to jump and tax your little tush off.

I looked into all that stuff before I will be moving back here.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Everything Todd said is correct.

Welcome, newbie.
I went to the Coast Guard Acad. and grew up in upstate NY. I do have a knowledge of the area.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 9,445 times
ABSOLUTELY....corrupt Connecticut should be the motto instead of the Constitution State...that is a real joke.
I was run off the road by a 22 year old DRUNK DRIVER. The highway was closed for 2 hours as her vehicle burned. The trooper let her go free, asked her out on a date 3 days later (through text) and I got a neck full of titanium and ongoing bills since she was underinsured. She, got a brand new car and no injuries.
PUBLIC SAFETY issued me a written apology after their investigation, and my Personal Injury attorney was too lazy to attach her wages and put a lien on her home and seize her assets. She only had $50,000.00 liability...in a word, I was "SCREWED" in this process.
YES, CONNECTICUT is CORRUPT and I cannot wait to move away....

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Fairfield county from what I've seen is pretty comparable to living in Boston and surrounding suburbs.
Housing in the Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport area is 28% higher than greater Boston.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,575 times
Quote:
Housing in the Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport area is 28% higher than greater Boston.
Source?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Source?
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney

I'm not sure you realize just how expensive much of Fairfield County is. In the suburbs along the coast, average home prices are in the millions. In the inland suburbs, you're looking at 750k+.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

21,723 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
In the inland suburbs, you're looking at 750k+.
I'd only say that's true of Wilton, Redding, Easton, Weston, Ridgefield. Not northern or eastern Fairfield County. Danbury, Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Sherman, Newtown, Monroe, Shelton, even Trumbull you can get a nice place for 300-400k.

Also that site takes into account city data (city of Stamford) vs. the MSA. But yeah, the wealthy Stamford/Norwalk metro area towns are more expensive than Boston suburbs as far as home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut