Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times

Advertisements

I mentioned a few years back to a friend of mine that has worked in carpentry and home construction about a Home Depot offer to install decks, and he said that while they probably have a pretty good guarantee, the people that work there are probably not good enough to make it on their own in the deck installation business. We ended up going with a local contractor on our deck.

We did similar on blinds installation in our previous two homes in Ellington & Avon. We used a local guy for that and he did a great job at a fairly reasonable price. I'm guessing he's probably retired now, as I just googled his old website and its not available anymore and he was probably mid 60s when he did our Avon install in 2007. (And for an old guy in his mid 60s, he worked very quickly and methodically, knocking off all 30+ windows in half a day.)

However, when we moved down to the shoreline, my wife turned cheaper than usual and hired Lowe's to do it - $99 for the entire house. For the most part, the guy did a decent job, but not great. However, the long vertical blinds we have out to the deck and from the walk-out basement are kind of crappy work - not very smooth to operate, get stuck a lot, etc.

So, you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 PM

302 posts, read 295,869 times
I've had Home Depot do carpeting in two rooms, 5 doors, a full kitchen cabinet installation and two separate installations of kitchen granite.

I've had no problems with any of them. All we done quickly and with very good results. I have no complaints at all about anything. I've since moved out of the house that had the most work done (down in Westchester County, NY), but when I moved everything was holding up quite nicely.

We had them install granite in the house we live in now (in CT) in an existing kitchen (just replace the existing formica, which we demo'ed) and they did a fantastic job.

I may just be lucky?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM

45 posts, read 54,950 times
I'm kind of shocked that people appear to have major home improvement work (roofs, floors, counters, etc.) done on their homes by, essentially, strangers delivered to them via a big-box retailer, strangers whom you cannot evaluate via reviews or referrals.

I would assume in most cases these people's homes (or rental properties) are their largest investment...

Are these people insane?

Last edited by Wordsmith11; 02-05-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith11 View Post
I'm kind of shocked that people appear to have major home improvement work (roofs, floors, counters, etc.) done on their homes by, essentially, strangers delivered to them via a big-box retailer, strangers whom you cannot evaluate via reviews or referrals.

I would assume in most cases these people's homes (or rental properties) are their largest investment...

Are these people insane?
While I agree that it is better to use local contractors for work on your home, I will say it very hard to find good reputable people to do it. Using a Home Depot contractor for things is easy and at least there is some guarantee with it. Plus some people are too busy or lazy to try and find people. Personally we use local people (never have used HD or Lowes) but I have some sources that make it easy for me to find people and I do not mind paying a bit more for local people. Jay

Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM

457 posts, read 905,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
While I agree that it is better to use local contractors for work on your home, I will say it very hard to find good reputable people to do it. Using a Home Depot contractor for things is easy and at least there is some guarantee with it. Plus some people are too busy or lazy to try and find people. Personally we use local people (never have used HD or Lowes) but I have some sources that make it easy for me to find people and I do not mind paying a bit more for local people. Jay
Home Depot installed my lawn sprinkler system in Texas, and there were no problems. About a year after installation, the backflow preventer blew. The company came about that night and installed a replacement, no questions asked.

Many local landscapers are fly-by-night, so knowing that a major company is backing the work is acceptable if you don't know a reputable contractor. That said, HD contractors are more expensive than their local counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut