Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
The "impact study" is important - population density is so much higher than it was in years past, which is why they have to really look carefully at all factors involved. I don't agree with keeping a bridge just because it looks pretty - tear it down, widen the road, and build a new pretty bridge.
Of couse you should study an idea first, but why does it cost millions and years to do an impact study?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Merrit would not be an issue anymore if I-95 was widened. People use the merrit becuase of I95 right now. Once they see I-95 flows freely they wouldnt need the merrit...leave the Merrit alone..

Eminent domain.. take away all lane and expand 5 lanes each way Greenwich to Bridgeport, 4 lanes Each direction from Bridgeport to Milford.

Im starting to like the toll idea at the border to get this done.

And no..... 4 lanes will not do it... take a look in Stamford where there is 4 lanes...not enough today. 1990s would have been...not for today, not for tomorrow.
Do you know how many fatalities occur on the merrit even though no trucks are allowed? It's one the most dangerous divided sections of road in the state. It badly needs to be upgraded just for safety.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Do you know how many fatalities occur on the merrit even though no trucks are allowed?

It is extremely rare to see fatal accidents on the Merritt. There was an issue ~29 in Greenwich some years ago, but that problem seems to have been resolved.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Do you know how many fatalities occur on the merrit even though no trucks are allowed? It's one the most dangerous divided sections of road in the state. It badly needs to be upgraded just for safety.
The only fatalities I've seen on the Merritt are from trees - and that's not even that many. There are a lot on 95 though.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Google fatal accident on Merritt parkway....

95 has trucks and way more vehicles per day traveling on it.

Tree's hanging over a highway cause a tremendous danger obviously and all overhanging tree's should be cut down. Again the historical people caring more about pretty bridges than people's lives.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
There was a serious (forgot if it was fatal) accident due to a fallen tree on the Merritt a few months ago in the Norwalk/Darien area. It was afternoon rush hour around 5pm, I came off 95 and went up route 7 Northbound. I saw a huuuuge backup on southbound 7 headed to 95. Got home and heard the news about the tree.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I've given up on the Merritt and 95. Hopefully all that construction their doing on the Merritt is going to add a 3rd lane, but they really need to do something though. When they built it, there wasn't supposed to be this much traffic on the road and my 2 big problem with the Merritt
1) Almost no shoulder, so if the DOT has to do something (mow the grass, chop down tree's, etc, they have to block off a lane). I can't tell you how many times I've been late to class because the effin right lane is closed because the DOT is mowing the grass. I'm sorry, but on a highway where people are going 30 MPH faster then they should be, you have to keep both lanes open.
2) That brings me to #2. Theirs 2 speed's on the Merritt you go: you either go 50 MPH or you go 80 MPH, their's no in between.

But those 2 roads are so bad I look forward to the days I have to drive from Trumbull to Danbury, because I know that's going to be better then the day's I have to drive from Trumbull to Norwalk.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I've given up on the Merritt and 95. Hopefully all that construction their doing on the Merritt is going to add a 3rd lane, but they really need to do something though. When they built it, there wasn't supposed to be this much traffic on the road and my 2 big problem with the Merritt
1) Almost no shoulder, so if the DOT has to do something (mow the grass, chop down tree's, etc, they have to block off a lane). I can't tell you how many times I've been late to class because the effin right lane is closed because the DOT is mowing the grass. I'm sorry, but on a highway where people are going 30 MPH faster then they should be, you have to keep both lanes open.
2) That brings me to #2. Theirs 2 speed's on the Merritt you go: you either go 50 MPH or you go 80 MPH, their's no in between.

But those 2 roads are so bad I look forward to the days I have to drive from Trumbull to Danbury, because I know that's going to be better then the day's I have to drive from Trumbull to Norwalk.
No shoulder also means if someone cuts you off, you can't swerve anywhere. Extremely dangerous. Also, stop signs to enter a major commuter highway. Are they really serious with that crap?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
No shoulder also means if someone cuts you off, you can't swerve anywhere. Extremely dangerous. Also, stop signs to enter a major commuter highway. Are they really serious with that crap?
Would you suggest something like some Long Island highways that has a traffic light at the entrance that figures out oncoming traffic?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Would you suggest something like some Long Island highways that has a traffic light at the entrance that figures out oncoming traffic?
No I'd suggest a proper interstate on ramp! Not trying to get onto a highway from a standstill with cars doing 80mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut