Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

I know people from Ellington and they are not involved in any cult. Ellington is becoming one of the most desirable places to live in this area. Beautiful upscale homes are being built there now. I doubt thye would sell so well if there really was some large cult population there. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM

92 posts, read 455,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gordon View Post
Watch out for the cult on Middle Butcher Road...
Huh? i've lived in the area for 40 yrs..there's no cult in Ellington!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 90,396 times
All I know is that from my personal experience with Ellington there were a ton of people in that town that were all dressed in a particular way - females & males and their children were extremely restricted from doing normal children things, sounds like a cult to me.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM

661 posts, read 2,895,805 times
Could this have anything to do with the high population of Swiss people in town? It's a stretch, but after living in Ellington and having younger brothers that did their high school years there, I can't come up with anything else vaguely related to a cult. My brothers still live in the area and socialize with people in Ellington.

It's a nice little town with a decent school system and friendly people. Ya got me on the cult thing. First I've heard.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM

311 posts, read 1,823,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyk98 View Post
All I know is that from my personal experience with Ellington there were a ton of people in that town that were all dressed in a particular way - females & males and their children were extremely restricted from doing normal children things, sounds like a cult to me.

So you just described the Amish?? Perhaps a cult of sorts, but not with the negative connotation you are imposing on the term. And what exactly does "restricted from doing normal children things" mean?? So there are a "ton" of people in town?? Whats a ton? 5? 1000???

BTW - I know people who live in Ellington, are quite happy and have never been recruited into a "cult".

Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 23,510 times
Hey Guys,

I just need to make a comment here. Unfortunately most of you are being rude, insensitive and ignorant about the Ellington Community. I attend the CHURCH in Ellington that you're referring to. It is NOT a cult. It doesn't describe the Amish community either - the Apostolic Christian Church is far from Amish and even if it were Amish, why is that a problem for you? It's not a cult and the church doesn't recruit people to attend it either.

It's very hurtful to people to attend the church to be categorized or generalized in the ways you guys are currently doing so. Please only make comments if it's something that you have knowledge about instead of just assuming inaccurate things. I've attended the church my entire life and this isn't anything new to me. I hear these things from people all the time but these are rumors. False rumors - please stop spreading them. I don't see any reason or any good in doing so.

The people that you're slandering above would never do the same to you. They would never comment on your religion or the church that you attend. Please show them the same respect.

It would be much appreciated to many people if you would move onto another more positive topic that was based on fact.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM

92 posts, read 455,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyk98 View Post

I don't know why you would comment on any religious group as
being a "cult" because of the way the raise their children or the type
of clothing they wear.

BTW, my son & his GF attend the Apostolic Christian church in Ellington.
They're highly educated, have great jobs, wear Kenneth Cole clothing
& drive luxury vechicles.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 90,396 times
I was just giving my honest opinion, sorry for the offense to all the parishners. I had VERY close contact with the church about 6 years ago and felt that way. Since then I have strayed away from Ellington. Again it is just my personal opinion and I was weighing in on a previous comment.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 AM

311 posts, read 1,823,963 times
clearly you missed my point about the amish - and its not even worth trying to explain what I was getting at.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeka333 View Post
Hey Guys,

I just need to make a comment here. Unfortunately most of you are being rude, insensitive and ignorant about the Ellington Community. I attend the CHURCH in Ellington that you're referring to. It is NOT a cult. It doesn't describe the Amish community either - the Apostolic Christian Church is far from Amish and even if it were Amish, why is that a problem for you? It's not a cult and the church doesn't recruit people to attend it either.

It's very hurtful to people to attend the church to be categorized or generalized in the ways you guys are currently doing so. Please only make comments if it's something that you have knowledge about instead of just assuming inaccurate things. I've attended the church my entire life and this isn't anything new to me. I hear these things from people all the time but these are rumors. False rumors - please stop spreading them. I don't see any reason or any good in doing so.

The people that you're slandering above would never do the same to you. They would never comment on your religion or the church that you attend. Please show them the same respect.

It would be much appreciated to many people if you would move onto another more positive topic that was based on fact.
Keeka333 - You should not take such offense to people's view of this church. Most do not really mean to be rude. they are just uninformed. It would be helpful for you to explain this church and its beliefs to everyone so they could better understand it. With understanding comes acceptance. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut