Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's not the truth. I live here, I spent the day on both sides of the river doing water remediation and have been in touch with many of my clients through this whole thing, both rich and poor. I also have the CLP map to support me.

The "rich" areas are the worst in regard to outage and restoration time. This is not rocket science. You have nothing factual to back you up.

Take your class warfare somewhere else, like where you live, New Jersey. It has no bearing on this subject here or is of any use during a time of extreme duress for our residents.

Maybe you should stop trying to evaluate CT from NJ. Just a thought.
Well its a poor / Middle Class neighborhood vs rich neighborhood thing.....the map tells me nothing about the wealth and the make up block by block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Quote:
It's not the truth. I live here, I spent the day on both sides of the river doing water remediation and have been in touch with many of my clients through this whole thing, both rich and poor. I also have the CLP map to support me.

The "rich" areas are the worst in regard to outage and restoration time. This is not rocket science. You have nothing factual to back you up.

Take your class warfare somewhere else, like where you live, New Jersey. It has no bearing on this subject here or is of any use during a time of extreme duress for our residents.

Maybe you should stop trying to evaluate CT from NJ. Just a thought.
agreed, my town is considered very wealthy (but lord knows we are not and live in the "humble" side of town) and we are still about 40% in the dark. I live right off of a main road which I bet is the reason I now have power, I took a drive and the damage is extensive in the secluded "rich" part of town so that argument of crews fixing the rich first has no weight, look at West Hartford/Avon/Simsbury, still high % of outages and a lot of $$ resides up there.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Bullsh*t. Take your class warfare somewhere else.

If you look at the outage maps, some of the most wealthy areas in the Hartford area are those with the most outage and longest restoration time.
Same thing in southern CT. The upper-middle neighborhoods (Ridgefield, Monroe, Wilton, Southbury, Oxford, Bethany) are very slow in recovery while working class areas (Naugatuck, Waterbury, Meriden) were quick to get their power back.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 16,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
? yeah thats a little baffling to me.. Maybe it was tangled with the electric wires? This is nuts. Was the siding damaged? Thats low voltage..you can touch those wires if you want to try to bring them back.(make sure its the phone wire!)
If I recall correctly, telephone and cable lines hang lower than elec tric (at the top). No trees nearby to have hit the wire.

My theory right now is the crew forgot to lower the bucket lift and snagged it driving by. No significant damage to the house.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
APPARENTLY CL&P NEVER PAID THE OUT OF STATE CREWS FOR HELPING DURING IRENE!
WOW..just keeps getting better

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Well, our phone landline is back. Still no power. Count the small triumphs I guess.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM

457 posts, read 904,915 times
Quote:
Seems like normal business to me. The crews billed CL&P in late August or early September, 30 - 90 day terms, wait to get paid. This doesn't mean CL&P did anything beyond manage their cash flow like any other large business.

Some of the largest companies in CT (who shall remain nameless) demand 180 day terms - I know because that's how long we wait to get paid.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
My understanding is that's just a nasty rumour. According to CLP all invoices have been paid.

Some nice guys from Indiana just came down our road to clear trees. Guys were battle worn, cold, snot running down their face etc. Fixed em up with some hot coffee and pumpkin donuts...of course this was after I found out a conversation my neighbor from Indiana had with them. He thanked the guys who responded "We hope you all would come help us in need" and the neighbor said "don't hold your breath". Well, I hope I proved him wrong.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted it... Irene was only last month...then I thought some more and its actually OVER 2 months.. Again....bad business.

When Someone stretches out to help us during devastation you make sure not only they get paid right after but give them something up front...

And be careful when you use the term "according to CL&P"...because according to CL&P there were no foreasts that showed the potential devastation. lol

62% of South Windsor still out. Day 8 no power. Under a Quarter Million now. (200,346) Rain and snow possible for northern CT Friday.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Tempers are snapping as fast as the snow-laden branches that brought down power wires across the Northeast last weekend, with close to 300,000 Connecticut customers still in the dark and the state's biggest utility warning them not to threaten or harass repair crews.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OCTOBER_SNOW?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFA ULT&CTIME=2011-11-04-19-00-14 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut