Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 53,041 times

Advertisements

Since honking was discouraged in Manhattan, I think everyone decided to go to CT to honk. I drive with CT plates, and get honked at too. But then I have kids and I don't drive as fast as I used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,892,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is due to old Yankee thrift when to minimize cost they simply hung signals diagonally across an intersection on span wire the cheapest way possible. There is actually minimum distance requirements and these signals met them as cheaply as possible. That is changing. Newer signals place the heads further across the intersection mpw but this is relatively recent and will take a number of years before all of the signals in the state get changed. Jay
. I disagree..it's new money that can afford to live in Darien - just the nature of the beast...the coast cities within commute to NYC are all the same..arrogant little you know what type A overachievers...you have to be OUT of the commute range to get a feel for the OLD connecticut..sad but true..it's all a hybrid franchise anywhere-ville otherwise. Usedto live there twenty years ago -recently went back and appalled at the traffic and overgrowth

Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,976,386 times
12 buttons

yes there are many overachievers type A's in southwestern CT nowadays- but towns like Darien still have a fair number of old money types.

The new residents can be aggressive, mean, and nouveau rich punks- that seem to have one mission in life- make others below them feel like they are nobody.

Be that as it may- yes much of Fairfield county along the shore is overcrowded, expensive, and while New England imagery is alive and well by clever developers- its still A very changed place with a different vibe compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 AM

34,711 posts, read 56,524,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
. I disagree..it's new money that can afford to live in Darien - just the nature of the beast...the coast cities within commute to NYC are all the same..arrogant little you know what type A overachievers...you have to be OUT of the commute range to get a feel for the OLD connecticut..sad but true..it's all a hybrid franchise anywhere-ville otherwise. Usedto live there twenty years ago -recently went back and appalled at the traffic and overgrowth
12buttons - You misunderstood my response. I was replying to the question on why the traffic signals are laid out the way they are, not about the people in Darien. Traffic signals throughout the state are designed to standards set by the Connecticut State Traffic Commission and the Connecticut Department of Transportation, both of which are located in Newington. They tended to be a bit more old fashioned, that is why the signals are laid out the way they are. Jay

Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Default Guess it's me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
...Probably Texas or a deep south state would perhaps be viewed much more negatively then California..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
I doubt CA was the issue...just the stress and strain of lower FFD county.

However if you had Texas plates.....
I was wondering why everyone honked at me for no reason....time to change the plates.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,976,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgrl View Post
I was wondering why everyone honked at me for no reason....time to change the plates.
Texas

I see a few vehicles a day here with Texas plates- I seldom here or see people giving honks at them- I frankly do not care where anyone is from I am curious to see folks however from perhaps the states of Mississippi, Alabama, or Wyoming, and Idaho.- sorry you have encountered this problem- your idea to change your plates seems like a good decision.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM

330 posts, read 1,398,394 times
I've gotten my CT plates on one car - and I'm so bummed about the 7 letter character limit for Vanity Plates. On my other car - my California registration doesn't expire until April - so I'm throwing caution to the wind and disregarding the 60 day rule. I'll get those plates in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut