U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
 
833 posts, read 1,564,383 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If he's staying there, Ridgefield would be a better commute. Then again, if he gets another job near 95, it'll add some time to get through the city in rush hour. I don't know why any company would make that move, it's so inconvenient.

I'm wondering why it takes so long though? The express train from Stratford is only 30 minutes?
15 minute walk to the train station
wait a couple minutes for the train
30 min to Stamford on the express train
wait for shuttle
take shuttle from train station to North Stamford
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
20,423 posts, read 25,387,014 times
Reputation: 6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
15 minute walk to the train station
wait a couple minutes for the train
30 min to Stamford on the express train
wait for shuttle
take shuttle from train station to North Stamford
So 40 minutes waiting and taking shuttle. Sucks.

Does he drive some days? Probably a lot quicker when traffic is light (like today). Heck, probably quicker when traffic is moderate and almost-heavy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
 
21,135 posts, read 28,986,254 times
Reputation: 9027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yeah, my husband works off High Ridge so that's what they're doing. It's an hour and a half for him door to door from Stratford, which has been rough. They moved his office from near 95 in Norwalk to near the Merritt in Stamford, and he's a train commuter. Ugh.
Hour and a half from Stratford? He's better off driving...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
 
833 posts, read 1,564,383 times
Reputation: 369
We only have one car -- he's always been a walker or train commuter. Door to door from Stratford to Stamford is about an hour, but then there's the frustration of traffic and the cost of gas (plus the cost of a second car and insurance). It's tough to decide which is worse. Obviously if we move to someplace like Ridgefield (or Monroe, or Oxford, or Woodbridge), we'd have to get a second car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
20,423 posts, read 25,387,014 times
Reputation: 6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
We only have one car -- he's always been a walker or train commuter. Door to door from Stratford to Stamford is about an hour, but then there's the frustration of traffic and the cost of gas (plus the cost of a second car and insurance). It's tough to decide which is worse. Obviously if we move to someplace like Ridgefield (or Monroe, or Oxford, or Woodbridge), we'd have to get a second car.
Some days you can make the call on traffic just by looking at Google Maps live traffic in the AM. For example, today there was very little traffic on the Merritt. Tomorrow it could be jammed up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
 
21,135 posts, read 28,986,254 times
Reputation: 9027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
We only have one car -- he's always been a walker or train commuter. Door to door from Stratford to Stamford is about an hour, but then there's the frustration of traffic and the cost of gas (plus the cost of a second car and insurance). It's tough to decide which is worse. Obviously if we move to someplace like Ridgefield (or Monroe, or Oxford, or Woodbridge), we'd have to get a second car.
Yes you would. If he wants to keep commuting by train, maybe Fairfield is the way to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 AM
 
833 posts, read 1,564,383 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Some days you can make the call on traffic just by looking at Google Maps live traffic in the AM. For example, today there was very little traffic on the Merritt. Tomorrow it could be jammed up.
Probably all those people/offices without power . I work from home, but when I've driven to the office in Wilton it's typically taken at least 45 min in rush hour.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
20,423 posts, read 25,387,014 times
Reputation: 6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Probably all those people/offices without power . I work from home, but when I've driven to the office in Wilton it's typically taken at least 45 min in rush hour.
It depends on the time of year, weather, etc. I do the drive every day.

In May, June and September it seems like traffic is always bad.

Other months, it's totally unpredictable. Unless there's an accident, Friday mornings are almost always totally clear no matter the time of year while Friday afternoons get heavy.

In the past month, there's definitely been good and bad Mondays.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM
 
833 posts, read 1,564,383 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It depends on the time of year, weather, etc. I do the drive every day.

In May, June and September it seems like traffic is always bad.

Other months, it's totally unpredictable. Unless there's an accident, Friday mornings are almost always totally clear no matter the time of year while Friday afternoons get heavy.

In the past month, there's definitely been good and bad Mondays.
When I used to commute Stratford to Westport on 95, traffic was okay except for the turn of a season. Beginning of spring and beginning of fall were horrid, but summer and winter were easy. But god forbid it rained just a little...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 AM
 
21,135 posts, read 28,986,254 times
Reputation: 9027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
But god forbid it rained just a little...
Ha. Yep. Even the threat of rain stops traffic on 95.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top