Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans1976 View Post
And where were the weathermen? Why weren't they predicting a storm of epic proportion days before hand?
They absolutely did. On Thursday night, they were saying 8"+ of snow, downed trees and massive power outages. Friday morning, they were saying 10". By Friday afternoon, they said a large part of the state north of the Merritt Parkway will likely see a foot or more, and this storm will be historic. And that's exactly what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I've been customers to both UI and CL&P. Right now, I totally prefer UI and am disgusted with CL&P (just came out of the darkness a few hours ago). While I don't know much about what's keeping utilities from going underground and am sure some people whine about trees/branches coming down, I can also tell you that most people I know have called CL&P at least once to tell them about branches touching the wires only to be told "that's not our responsibility."

Over the last few years, CL&P has cut back their work force while instituting at least three rate hikes only for them to fail majorly this past week. I was easy on them during the hurricane, but keeping people without power this long in this weather is beyond unacceptable. If you look at the salaries/benefit packages of former and current execs, they are ridiculously high. I'm all for people making great money if they do a great job; but that's not even remotely the case here. To see Mr. Butler on TV denying and lying and having no thoughts that he is responsible for disrupting lives, schools, and health issues is mind boggling. My grade for the line crews and the customer service reps handling calls is an A++++. The higher ups who are supposed to plan and prepare for this…well, somebody (maybe more) needs to be fired.

FWIW, we prepared as far as food, gas, money, etc. I don't think not having a generator is lack of preparing. I don't think expecting the only power company available to you to do its job is not that far fetched either.
I feel your frustration, believe me I do. I've bled thousands of dollars this week and am in a total shutdown right now. This will have a serious impact on how we survive the Winter season - if at all because every dollar this time of year is accounted for combined with about 25% decrease in business over the last couple years.

However, as I talked about in length in the hurricane thread, CLP is basically controlled ultimately by the government in regards to profitability, what they can do with facilities, rates etc. Everything has to go through the utility commission which is, a government entity and to a lessor extent the legislature.

To see the governor get his hackles up about anything is like getting mad at your wife for not spending money on supplies when you took all the money.

Add to that, the fact that IBEW Local 420 (Union) has hamstrung some of the efforts and it's a big fat ball of bureaucratic bullsh*t.

I know people are saying "well Irene should have changed things". Think about this for a minute. You are expecting a HUGE multi-billion dollar company to restructure itself and policies, dealing with the government (Who is still forming "committees") 2 months after the worst power outage in the state's history is a bit narrow sighted. They just got invoices paid from Irene, nevermind revamping emergency protocol. To think even if they didn't have the above to deal with, that they could acquire equipment and train a new workforce ready to go in 8 weeks is really naive.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I feel your frustration, believe me I do. I've bled thousands of dollars this week and am in a total shutdown right now. This will have a serious impact on how we survive the Winter season - if at all because every dollar this time of year is accounted for combined with about 25% decrease in business over the last couple years.

However, as I talked about in length in the hurricane thread, CLP is basically controlled ultimately by the government in regards to profitability, what they can do with facilities, rates etc. Everything has to go through the utility commission which is, a government entity and to a lessor extent the legislature.

To see the governor get his hackles up about anything is like getting mad at your wife for not spending money on supplies when you took all the money.

Add to that, the fact that IBEW Local 420 (Union) has hamstrung some of the efforts and it's a big fat ball of bureaucratic bullsh*t.

I know people are saying "well Irene should have changed things". Think about this for a minute. You are expecting a HUGE multi-billion dollar company to restructure itself and policies, dealing with the government (Who is still forming "committees") 2 months after the worst power outage in the state's history is a bit narrow sighted. They just got invoices paid from Irene, nevermind revamping emergency protocol. To think even if they didn't have the above to deal with, that they could acquire equipment and train a new workforce ready to go in 8 weeks is really naive.
I hear you, and I get it. But what's with all of the statements that are 100% false? They've literally mislead the public with their excuses. That's not acceptable.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM

462 posts, read 737,000 times
Another feather in Malloy's cap.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hear you, and I get it. But what's with all of the statements that are 100% false? They've literally mislead the public with their excuses. That's not acceptable.
I don't disagree. I guess the only thing I can chalk it up to, is he couldn't really say what the deal was. Could you imagine if during the conference he said "You need to talk to this guy (Malloy standing at his side.) because the state tells us what to do". I'd actually love it, but you and I both know this is just backroom politics and B.S. as usual.

We'll get the song and dance and the powers that be will dictate to us what is.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
And where were the weathermen? Why weren't they predicting a storm of epic proportion days before hand? The utility companies didn't start preparing until Friday; they should have had more time. People could have been stocking up on things like gas ahead of time instead of waiting until after the fact.
Quote:
They absolutely did. On Thursday night, they were saying 8"+ of snow, downed trees and massive power outages. Friday morning, they were saying 10". By Friday afternoon, they said a large part of the state north of the Merritt Parkway will likely see a foot or more, and this storm will be historic. And that's exactly what happened.
I agree with kidyankee. I heard about the storm on Thursday and by Friday night I had filled up both cars with gas, filled my containers with gas for my generator, went grocery shopping first thing Saturday morning...by noon on Saturday I was prepared to be stuck in my house for a significant period of time without power, much like with Irene.

The meteorologists did their job. Any fail in this whole deal lies strictly on the shoulders of the unprepared Connecticut resident.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM

60 posts, read 54,220 times
Up in northern CT, we rely on WFSB. On Friday night, they were saying nothing about planning on 14" of snow and to plan on being without power for days. They were saying "The early snow could cause problems for motorists out on the roads and bring down tree branches with the possibility of power outages." That is a far cry from what we got.

Northern CT under winter storm warning - WFSB Channel 3

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
"You need to talk to this guy (Malloy standing at his side.)
"Um, ahh, um, uh, ba, uh, uhm"

Quote:
Up in northern CT, we rely on WFSB. On Friday night, they were saying nothing about planning on 14" of snow and to plan on being without power for days. They were saying "The early snow could cause problems for motorists out on the roads and bring down tree branches with the possibility of power outages." That is a far cry from what we got.

Northern CT under winter storm warning - WFSB Channel 3
"Snowfall could accumulate Saturday from as much as a few inches in southeastern Connecticut to more than a foot in some areas of the Litchfield Hills. Snow could be heavy at times and also mix with sleet and rain in some places. Additionally, winds are expected to be strong, with gusts possibly up to 30 mph. The early snow could cause problems for motorists out on the roads and bring down tree branches with the possibility of power outages."

That's exactly what we got.

Sorry, hans, but it's not rocket science that when 6+" is forecasted for October when leaves are on trees, there will be issues. As mels said, people need to care for themselves and not rely on TV/government to do it for them.

That said, News 8, News 4 NY, Fox 5 NY, News 12 CT and NBC 30 news all warned us about an historic event. I started preparing on Thursday night, and by Friday afternoon, stores/gas stations were packed in Wallingford.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-03-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with kidyankee. I heard about the storm on Thursday and by Friday night I had filled up both cars with gas, filled my containers with gas for my generator, went grocery shopping first thing Saturday morning...by noon on Saturday I was prepared to be stuck in my house for a significant period of time without power, much like with Irene.

The meteorologists did their job. Any fail in this whole deal lies strictly on the shoulders of the unprepared Connecticut resident.
How so? Most people were prepared for everything except being cold for so long. Do you not realize that generators can be dangerous and they are darn expensive? We pay some of the highest rates in the country and people are supposed to fork out big bucks for a generator? Just in case the electric company isn't doing it's job? This is a failure of leadership.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Quote:
"Um, ahh, um, uh, ba, uh, uhm"
I heard him on the radio going home yesterday... I can't believe this guy is a politician! The worst public speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut