Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,019 times

Advertisements

Interesting comment, "What I find funny are the crews from the "backward" South coming up here and saying things like this is the most ass backward antiquated system they have ever seen. I don't doubt for one minute that some of the provisions have been up there for 50+ years with no incentive or desire to improve it."
the South's not backwards, I remember 15 years ago, visiting somewhere in the south, where it was heavily wooded and the developer saw to it, his new neighborhood had underground wires, so they never had to worry about things like this when a storm came.
No, it's Connecticut that's become totally backwards. This place has become something out of the Dark Ages lately. It's like we're being run by Kings & Queens, ones that don't care about our safety or our welfare, cuz they're more concerned with their OWN profits!
Maybe it's a good thing this has happened cuz it's opened up the whole country to seeing just how bad and how dangerous the state of CT is now. I don't find that pleasant but it needs to be said!
If the state leglislators and the major utility company think they have the right to keep ripping us off, yet, putting our lives in danger at the same time, then this surely is an eye opener to the fact they cannot, as there's now at least 4 people dead from their refusal to get enough work crews set up BEFORE the storm, like most every other state does!
It's also an eye opener to the entire country! If you think this motivates people to want to come to the state of CT to work, or to live, then you're very wrong! No one wants to lose an entire week of pay cuz the CL&P couldn't bother to get sufficient work crews set up for a storm they need would be drastic!
I just wonder how much money everyone lost from this storm, in terms of having to lose work, having to get generators, losing food in one's icebox, damage to their property that their insurance co. won't cover, cuz CL&P didn't want to bother to trim the trees.
I remember we had a huge limb that was about to fall in our driveway, it was just hanging over another limb and we called CL&P and asked them to come out and remove it, before we got hurt. It was right near our power line too, but they refused to do so.. That was several months ago.. Finally, lucky for us, the wind took down the limb and we were safe after that.. That could of fallen on us, and cracked our skull open, it was that large a limb though....
Yeah, CL&P doesn't care about people's safety! They ought to be shut down. Let another company, one that has some concern for people, come in & take over CL&P.
This is supposed to be one of the most expensive power companies in the nation too, next to Hawaii. I read we're the 2nd highest costs in the nation, Hawaii being first.
But think about it, Hawaii is way out in the Pacific Ocean, all by itself.. It's NOT next to NYC, Boston, or other major industrial cities!

There's no excuse for CT being so expensive when it comes to power, to start with!

Nor does anyone, even if they're wealthy as can be, want to spend an entire week in the dark & cold, hoping that CL&P will finally see to it, their power's turned back on!

Last edited by DanaMarley; 11-06-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,019 times
Default The Checks to the Crews who helped us out last were finally mail this Wedneday, Kid, after a number of people had perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's actually been acknowledged by CL&P that the checks were mailed Wednesday and arrived at their location on Friday (yesterday).

Oh, big deal! It's a little too late, I'd say! I think the CL&P is going to see several lawsuits from this storm.
I noticed too, how they had all the BUSINESSES up & running, but yet, you couldn't even find a thing in your home, if you misplaced it, it was so dark in our homes, for DAYS on end!
They've run this state into the ground, literally, hiring all these negligent company officials, not to mention all the negligent public officials who are earning 50K plus a year!
This state is pure madness! It's like living in an insane asylum, living here!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Interesting comment, "What I find funny are the crews from the "backward" South coming up here and saying things like this is the most ass backward antiquated system they have ever seen. I don't doubt for one minute that some of the provisions have been up there for 50+ years with no incentive or desire to improve it."
the South's not backwards, I remember 15 years ago, visiting somewhere in the south,
I guess sarcasm escapes you.

Quote:
Oh, big deal! It's a little too late, I'd say! I think the CL&P is going to see several lawsuits from this storm.
I noticed too, how they had all the BUSINESSES up & running, but yet, you couldn't even find a thing in your home, if you misplaced it, it was so dark in our homes, for DAYS on end!
They've run this state into the ground, literally, hiring all these negligent company officials, not to mention all the negligent public officials who are earning 50K plus a year!
This state is pure madness! It's like living in an insane asylum, living here!
Nothing is keeping you here except your own mind.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
the South's not backwards, I remember 15 years ago, visiting somewhere in the south, where it was heavily wooded and the developer saw to it, his new neighborhood had underground wires, so they never had to worry about things like this when a storm came.
They do that here too in NEW developments. But theres another fact thats bears mentioning, the south is much less burdened by a desire to house & feed lazy people so their tax dollars, which are much less than ours, can be used to help taxpayers.

Quote:
No, it's Connecticut that's become totally backwards. This place has become something out of the Dark Ages lately. It's like we're being run by Kings & Queens, ones that don't care about our safety or our welfare, cuz they're more concerned with their OWN profits!
I can almost agree with that. Cept I wouldn't say kings & queens, I'd say tax & spend liberals more concerened with what they can give away to garner votes than with the infrustructure & the tax payers.

Quote:
Maybe it's a good thing this has happened cuz it's opened up the whole country to seeing just how bad and how dangerous the state of CT is now. I don't find that pleasant but it needs to be said!
How will this help us move forward?

Quote:
If the state leglislators and the major utility company think they have the right to keep ripping us off, yet, putting our lives in danger at the same time, then this surely is an eye opener to the fact they cannot, as there's now at least 4 people dead from their refusal to get enough work crews set up BEFORE the storm, like most every other state does!
This to me makes no sense. You think they should have brought in thousands of men from out of state before anything happened just in case? Also, while I sure am not happy about our legislature I dont think they have much control over the weather.

Quote:
It's also an eye opener to the entire country! If you think this
motivates people to want to come to the state of CT to work, or to live, then you're very wrong! No one wants to lose an entire week of pay cuz the CL&P couldn't bother to get sufficient work crews set up for a storm they need would be drastic!
Again, nobody KNEW exactly how this would play out, its easy to be a Monday night quarter back, but harder to make people happy when they dont even know what theyre talking about.

Quote:
I just wonder how much money everyone lost from this storm, in terms of having to lose work, having to get generators, losing food in one's icebox, damage to their property that their insurance co. won't cover, cuz CL&P didn't want to bother to trim the trees.
I wonder how much money was made by local people who went out to cut trees back & repair homes, sell generators & a hundred other things. I know I made money from it.

Quote:
I remember we had a huge limb that was about to fall in our driveway, it was just hanging over another limb and we called CL&P and asked them to come out and remove it, before we got hurt. It was right near our power line too, but they refused to do so.. That was several months ago.. Finally, lucky for us, the wind took down the limb and we were safe after that.. That could of fallen on us, and cracked our skull open, it was that large a limb though....
CL&P doesn't own trees, cities, towns & people do. I'm not sure why YOU couldn't have had it done if its your tree or had the town/city do it if its theirs. This "Somebody else shoulda done it" attitude is more to blame IMO than CL&P is. You can bet your butt that if a limb threatened my family I'd have done something about it. If you didn't you are part of the problem not solution.

Quote:
Yeah, CL&P doesn't care about people's safety! They ought to be shut down. Let another company, one that has some concern for people, come in & take over CL&P.
This is supposed to be one of the most expensive power companies in the nation too, next to Hawaii. I read we're the 2nd highest costs in the nation, Hawaii being first.
But think about it, Hawaii is way out in the Pacific Ocean, all by itself.. It's NOT next to NYC, Boston, or other major industrial cities!
The costs in this area have not much to do with CL&P, their people need to live & work here so their services are high. Vote out the *******s & vote in real conservatives and in a few decades we might be able to fix what the fiscal liberals have done to our economy.

Quote:
There's no excuse for CT being so expensive when it comes to power, to start with!
Theres no excuse for how expensive it is period, but if taxes, real estate, food, gas & everything else is high so too will be services.

Quote:
Nor does anyone, even if they're wealthy as can be, want to spend an entire week in the dark & cold, hoping that CL&P will finally see to it, their power's turned back on!
Some things have little to do with what you want. You make it sound like they are sitting back complaining instead of working on it.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I went to the Farmington Valley YMCA this afternoon. The majority of people there still without power. Most live in Granby or Simsbury. My friend's area in Windsor Locks is still untouched with downed poles and wires all over and no crews to be found in his area all week.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
It looks like the new deadline for restoration is Wednesday @11:59 p.m.:Connecticut Light & Power : Estimated Restoration Projection By Town (http://www.cl-p.com/stormcenter/estimates/ - broken link)

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It looks like the new deadline for restoration is Wednesday @11:59 p.m.:Connecticut Light & Power : Estimated Restoration Projection By Town (http://www.cl-p.com/stormcenter/estimates/ - broken link)

Yep. And it's not even 99%, it's 96%.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
CL&P has absolutely ZERO credibility left. Even their revised projection for West Hartford yesterday had 95% by midnight...now this morning even their own update states 38% still out. We of course are among that unfortunate bunch.

This has become a national embarassment, and if heads don't roll/resign...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
Hey dana marley..... where did you read the southern crews slamming cl&p? link?

its funny because... on friday i had guys from florida working on my street and i asked if what they were doing would get my power on tonight and the guy said " it should.... but dont know mannnn.... they do things differently around here"

Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
CL&P has absolutely ZERO credibility left. Even their revised projection for West Hartford yesterday had 95% by midnight...now this morning even their own update states 38% still out. We of course are among that unfortunate bunch.

This has become a national embarassment, and if heads don't roll/resign...

I'm in NC... (CT move-back-to hopeful) Yep, it's a national embarassment. I watch News 14 Carolina sometimes when I'm having my lunch. They roll the clip of trees laying all over the place and guys with chain saws every day still, and tell us how many are still without power. Same for the weather channel.

(And of course the thought crossed our minds of our business/livelihood potentially being at the mercy of CL&P if/when we move back? And for over a WEEK? WTF?!)

Damn, I'm feeling so sorry for you guys!! People STILL showering at the Granby Y? What a pain in the @ss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut