Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
I live in Wallingford and although i am very happy with the lack of power outages....none in over 6 years for me.....the rates don't seem to be the deal they used to be. If you go to any of the companies delivering power since deregulation, the prices look similar or lower then wallingford. Check sites like North American Power for instance. Unfortunately we in Wallingford can't shop around.
As I stated in another post. CL&P charges almost $60 in delivery charges to deliver 700 kwh of power. There are no delivery charges in Wallingford. That is where the savings is. As Jviello pointed out it is however maintained through property taxes.

Also, the town has done a great job of securing low rates for many years to come. The Pierce Power Station combined with 3 peaking generators used during high demand is sold into the ISO New England grid. Wallingford takes in millions a year by selling excess power into the grid. The money is then passed on to customers of the electric division in the form of lower rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
One thing to keep in mind is that because Wallingford Electric is town owned, they do not have to pay taxes to the town while CL&P does. Often CL&P is one of the highest property tax payers in a town. And guess where the money comes from for those taxes? Jay

Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 AM

293 posts, read 781,900 times
I'm on CL&P in Broad Brook/E Windsor and was really blown away at the cost of electricity here in CT.

Back in MA, my electric bill might be $35-$50. Here it was $90, half of which was the actual electricity used, the rest being a gazillion different "fees" for transmission, delivery, etc.

I'm considering switching to a different supplier, which I expect will cut my bill by maybe 10 bucks/month at best unfortunatley.

Any advice on which way to go with this?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
First, $90 isn't too bad, all things being equal. Depends on what kind of dwelling you're in and its condition. In a free-standing 3-bedroom 1-bath home built around the late 1950's early 1960's with a basement and attic, old insulation, a 15-year-old roof, single-pane windows, a drafty front door, around 1200 square feet total living space, with electric heat, a washer/dryer, electric hot water heater, and central air conditioning, $90 would be dirt-cheap.

If it's oil or gas heat, gas stove, gas hot water heater, no central, and you take your laundry to the laundromat, have upgraded insulation, a properly ventillated roof, and double-pane insulated windows, it might be on the high side for this time of year.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Just had a discussion with my neighbor who is a lineman and he said that Wallingford's Electric is using Hendrix overhead wires. The wires in his words are 10 times stronger/better/reliable than what CL&P and UI are using. Said these wires can take a severe beating from fallen trees, winds, ice, animal contact, etc. Wallingford has a 99.9% electricity reliability rating. This is something that UI and CLP should look into.

For those interested in the technical side of it.

Welcome to Hendrix Wire and Cable, Inc. (http://www.hendrix-wc.com/hendrix/home.htm - broken link)

Click the Aerial Cable Systems Applications pdf for a more detailed explanation.

Hendrix Products Catalog (http://www.hendrix-wc.com/hendrix/catalog.htm - broken link)

Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Just had a discussion with my neighbor who is a lineman and he said that Wallingford's Electric is using Hendrix overhead wires. The wires in his words are 10 times stronger/better/reliable than what CL&P and UI are using. Said these wires can take a severe beating from fallen trees, winds, ice, animal contact, etc. Wallingford has a 99.9% electricity reliability rating. This is something that UI and CLP should look into.

For those interested in the technical side of it.

Welcome to Hendrix Wire and Cable, Inc. (http://www.hendrix-wc.com/hendrix/home.htm - broken link)

Click the Aerial Cable Systems Applications pdf for a more detailed explanation.

Hendrix Products Catalog (http://www.hendrix-wc.com/hendrix/catalog.htm - broken link)
All it takes is money...in Wallingford's case, tax money, in CLP's case, rate increases.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM

60 posts, read 54,220 times
CL&P just announced a rate decrease effective Jan 1 for the generation portion of their bill. The amount is $.012, not bad. That brings them in line with alternate suppliers. It will be curious to see if the other guys drop their rates too.

Both CT Clean Option programs are also dropping their rates as of Jan 1.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Heard through a friend that works in town that Wallingford's already extremely low electric rates are about to go substantially down. We have our own in town NaturalGas fired power plant and due to record low natural gas prices the rates are scheduled to drop this spring/summer significantly. We are up there in the top 3 for cheapest electricity in New England and its about to go even lower.

The cheap electric rates are having a huge influence on business in town. Gas is 10 cents cheaper than surrounding towns. My friend works at Stop and Shop and says that pricing storewide is much cheaper than Meriden and North Haven. His manager said its directly due to the electric rates in town. They pay 25k+ a month in electricity and it would be double or more in another town in CT. Also, any new business in the downtown area receives power for half the price for the first year, 40 percent the second year, 30 the 3rd etc.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,106 times
Bumping this old thread...Look at the electric rates compared to Wallingford now vs Eversource, WFD is in their own league.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:56 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh1212 View Post
Bumping this old thread...Look at the electric rates compared to Wallingford now vs Eversource, WFD is in their own league.
UI is also lower than Eversource

Eversource standard service rate: 12.050 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh)

United Illuminating standard service rate: 10.620 cents per kWh

With Wallingford, I see the service rate is a bit higher than Eversource. Do they just have no transmission fee or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut