Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM

65 posts, read 260,001 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am on the brink of accepting a job in mid-town Manhattan and am looking at commuting options. I think I have settled on Connecticut with a Metro-North rail commute into the city. Question: Are there problems finding commuter parking at any stations? Which stations are best? Please help. Any responses here will most likely drive my decision as to what areas to look, what realtor to contact, etc. Thanks for any and all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:16 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You do not indicate which town you are interested in living in. Parking at train stations in Connecticut is generally at a premium along the coast. It depends where you want to live. Most stations offer day parking and there are garages in Bridgeport and Stamford. Fairfield is constructing a new station that will have 1500 parking spaces available but it will not be completed until 2009. Your realtor should be able to answer these questions. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
There is also a garage in South Norwalk, I know as of a year ago, there were plenty of spaces to be had there.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM

65 posts, read 260,001 times
Default Safe town, ease of parking

Thanks for the replies. I am open on which town. I will want to rent (I am stuck owning a house in Florida in a tough real estate market) a single family home or townhouse since I have a large dog. I was interested in Greenwich simply because I've heard of it and because I work in the financial industry. However, my commute is very important and I would rather live someplace where I feel safe (i.e., where I can comfortably walk the dog at all hours), but where I have easy access to parking at a rail station. Any suggestions are welcome. Ease of parking will help me choose a town.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:21 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I am not sure how hard it is to park at the stations in Greenwich but keep in mind that rentals there will be pricey. Greenwich is one of the most expensive suburbs in the country. You can contact the town's parking authority for information on parking at the train stations. They should be able to tell you if there is a waiting list or not. Check what rentals are available on craiglist.com or in the Greenwich Times and Stamford Advocate. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 30,907 times
Default Metro North parking

Hi, I usually park in the Bridgeport garage when I take the train into NY. I am always terrified going back at night. My daughter and her friends are taking the train in and then taking PATH to a concert in New Jersey. The car will be parked overnight. Bridgeport seems like a bad idea. Does anyone know about the parking in Fairfield or Southport? Any idea on cost for overnight and how well lite the lots are? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:03 PM

184 posts, read 842,611 times
For the OP, there are always day parking spots in the big lot behind the main Greenwich train station, and at a quarter per hour, it's a bargain.

For donin13, parking is always safe at Fairfield if you can find it. Day parking is $6.00, and there are usually spots in the lot on Mill Plain Road by the 95 exit. If you leave your car overnight, you'll get envelopes to pay for two days of parking. I've left my car overnight there before, no worries, very well lit.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRan View Post
Hello All! I am on the brink of accepting a job in mid-town Manhattan and am looking at commuting options. I think I have settled on Connecticut with a Metro-North rail commute into the city. Question: Are there problems finding commuter parking at any stations? Which stations are best? Please help. Any responses here will most likely drive my decision as to what areas to look, what realtor to contact, etc. Thanks for any and all input.
Like the other's said, depends on what town you choose. One thing to keep in mind is that you might want to focus some of your home searching on areas around the train station so you can walk instead of drive. Many of the stations are in the middle of a downtown-type of area, which are well-lit, populated by shops and restaurants. Stamford might be a good option to look into.

Just my $.02, but being that you are in Finance, you might want to do a cost analysis of owning your FL home and renting in CT, vs. taking a loss when selling your FL home and buying in CT. It could be several years before the housing market in FL recovers enough to make a good amount of $$ on your home there, and depending on the cost of the home it might not be worth it to wait.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
I always park at Darien. There's a commercial lot that's closer to the station than most of the town parking that has reasonable rates and that's never full. (Also, they tend to not bother paying someone to take your money past a certain time in the morning, so if you're going in late, it's free.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut