Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

...and the other half of the problem, is people who show up expecting nirvana, then whine to everyone about how it sucks. Dood. You're a noob. Stay here for 40 years, raise your family here, watch your family raise THEIR family here. Then, just maybe, you will have earned the right to complain about this state.

You're a transient. Go home.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut is no more in trouble than any other state. I hate these repeated threads that do nothing but complain about the state over and over. As the saying goes "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence". If you really dislike the state so much, MOVE. Jay
Jay, the original idea of this thread was not to complain but to discuss what people are feeling about the state. After seeing some of the frustrations that people are going through right now, can CT be doing it better? That is why I put in there, are they attracting business? Are the high taxes driving people away? I spoke with a friend of min last week and he said his wife and friends constantly talk about getting out of CT due to everything I mentioned.

I am not sure that it is not in trouble any more than any other state. I have always said that they are going to get you in the pocketbook no matter what (meaning any state government) but it seems to be prevalent since Malloy took over. You are right in saying the grass is not always greener. We have out troubles with here in NC too.

Sorry if this turns into a complain thread, it was not intended to be that and I hope it doesn't continue that way.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I've lived her 30 years, and there is a lot I don't like about this state. I think I'd find something about other states I didn't like either, though. I have yet to find the perfect location.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I am not sure that it is not in trouble any more than any other state. I have always said that they are going to get you in the pocketbook no matter what (meaning any state government) but it seems to be prevalent since Malloy took over.
Yep, before we had a governor with a D after his name, this was a tax haven.

Or maybe it just SEEMS that way?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Oh please. Half of our problem in CT is that we have so many naysayers such as yourself.

As for the OP's questions, I think everywhere is in trouble. Not just CT, CA or NJ, but all 50 states, and many western countries.
I tend to agree with Kidyankee on this... it's all over. People tend to narrow it down to their sphere of influence, which can have someone comparing just two regions... or just complaining about CT by itself.

CT is what it is... quite expensive for a lot of people. But I think it's getting tougher for most people all over. To be honest, even though CT has some high taxes, all in all, when we lived there I did not really notice that it was much more expensive with our budget than any of the other places I've lived in recent years. For example, groceries here in NC seem higher. You get more house for your buck here, but it's on a postage stamp sized lot with eight feet or less between homes, and no basement for your toys & equipment.

CT has things that money can't buy on the other hand. A rich history, natural beauty, four real seasons, people who respect/understand the New England culture and are willing to preserve it's history and landmarks (as opposed to places like where I'm currently at with too much growth and sprawl)...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Or maybe it just SEEMS that way?
I don't think anyone suggested this was a tax-free haven, but you've got to admit, our D governor did greet us with the largest tax increase in history.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think anyone suggested this was a tax-free haven, but you've got to admit, our D governor did greet us with the largest tax increase in history.
Didn't we just switch to a Governor with a D after his name after having a couple of Governors with R's after their names? Our taxes were higher before the current Governor came into office. I don't think either party is particularly looking to lower taxes even though they are always saying they are. Jay

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Our taxes were higher before the current Governor came into office.
They were?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM

462 posts, read 737,264 times
Quote:
Didn't we just switch to a Governor with a D after his name after having a couple of Governors with R's after their names? Our taxes were higher before the current Governor came into office. I don't think either party is particularly looking to lower taxes even though they are always saying they are. Jay
Mine certainly weren't. They also didn't go toward things like paying for the children of illegals to go to state schools.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Default So Very Well Said SVTJayC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
No, half our problem is people like you, and JayCT, who want to stick their head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong.

That's the reason that's CT is in so much trouble now. People have become so complacent and lackasdaisical about how their local & state govt are being run, even though they are literally running the state into the ground economy & in many ways culturally now.
And this occurs IRL too SVTJayC. If you speak up and complain about it, you just get bashed and told to shut up! It's become an extremely oppressive state, not just governmentally, but also financially.
People can barely survive in many areas in CT nowadays. Something has got to change or this state is going to go down the tubes. And SVTJayC is not being a "naysayer" here. He's just speaking the truth.
Not that you even got a right to do that anymore in the "constitution" state.... They ought to rename it the communist state instead. It doesn't feel like you are even living in America anymore, living in CT, so many of our civil rights get violated at the time here.

Yeah... CL&P did such a grand job keeping everyone safe! Rubbish.. they did not. They wouldn't even tell the town leaders exactly when they'd have their power restores and often misled them, only to force countless residents to have to keep living without heat or electricity in days that were often dipping into the 20s at night! That's not safe. that's dangerous to folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut