Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Honestly, I think the people who insist everything is great, and consider our high taxes and consequent bad business climate to be a mark of superiority (and there are many who think like this) who are a worse danger to the state than the people who point out the problems in a constructive way.
I completely agree.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 AM

502 posts, read 1,393,351 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think the people who insist everything is great, and consider our high taxes and consequent bad business climate to be a mark of superiority (and there are many who think like this) who are a worse danger to the state than the people who point out the problems in a constructive way.
I agree with this also.

But at the other end of the spectrum, there are some who's constant whining about CT on this board has become offputting enough to the point of almost ruining the spirit of "this place".

I like how 99% of the people here can have adult discussions in a constructive manner, be those positive or negative points about CT. Certain posters here IMHO are not using this board correctly if only here to "dump" on others, or ruin others' experience of posting and discussing things here. It's one thing to like CT for the most part but constructively discuss what needs improvement.... but it's another thing to just blatantly rip on CT nonstop to the point of being so negative that it ruins the board for others.

If you have constant, serious, emotional issues about CT, please go to your Selectman or Congressman or whatever but please don't beat us fellow members over the head with excessive ranting. It gets old and downright offputting.

Thank you.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,958,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No Jay thats correct but i do FEEL VERY BAD for the ppl who are STILL WITHOUT POWER from the storm last week...

I know there are ALOT OF ANGRY PEOPLE...... What is taking them so long??

I'm guessing the utilities cut the size of their crews in order to save money, and now they're paying for it. This is what is being done across American business. There's nothing unique here.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I agree with this also.

But at the other end of the spectrum, there are some who's constant whining about CT on this board has become offputting enough to the point of almost ruining the spirit of "this place".

I like how 99% of the people here can have adult discussions in a constructive manner, be those positive or negative points about CT. Certain posters here IMHO are not using this board correctly if only here to "dump" on others, or ruin others' experience of posting and discussing things here. It's one thing to like CT for the most part but constructively discuss what needs improvement.... but it's another thing to just blatantly rip on CT nonstop to the point of being so negative that it ruins the board for others.

If you have constant, serious, emotional issues about CT, please go to your Selectman or Congressman or whatever but please don't beat us fellow members over the head with excessive ranting. It gets old and downright offputting.

Thank you.
I love living in Connecticut, but I am in a small minority of people in the 'sweet spot' right now. I have a high paying job in New York that wouldn't be available in places with a lower cost of living and taxes, so even with those factors, I am better off financially living here. And I love the beauty and charm of Connecticut, the nice restaurants, etc.

However, I do question whether I can stay here once I retire. The combination of the high cost of living and high taxes might be too much. I also worry about the prospects for a lot of young people, who find it necessary to leave the state in order to start their lives.

Part of the issue is something beyond our control -- high housing costs. This has been caused, IMO, by a too-loose monetary policy that keeps housing prices artificially inflated. And places near major population/job centers are most affected by this. So there's not a lot we as a state can do about this; it's more a problem of national policy.

But our expanding government and ever-increasing taxes are a major problem, a major thing driving out business and making young people go elsewhere. The bigger problem is that our spending is failing, in the sense that our poor aren't getting any better off by it, and aren't better off than poor people elsewhere. Arguably, they're worse off. So what are we getting for this spending? Once again, some of this is a national problem that is more acute here, but I think we have a lot of people who are so locked into the whole "Connecticut is the most enlightened state" mentality that they can't see the reality of the situation, and can't see the dismal results of the policies they support. It's as if there's a total disconnect between intention and results.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 AM

I think JayCT is wrong to say Connecticut isn't in more trouble than other states. We are on the forward edge of states that have failed to control spending and, most importantly, the accretion of future liabilities, and as such we are in more trouble than states that have been better managed.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
I think JayCT is wrong to say Connecticut isn't in more trouble than other states. We are on the forward edge of states that have failed to control spending and, most importantly, the accretion of future liabilities, and as such we are in more trouble than states that have been better managed.
Oh man did this OP stir up a hornets nest..you guys all fell right into the trap. I know many people in CT and most love living there. All agree there are problems though ..especially with taxes and a ridiculously high cost of living, but "in trouble" ? no more than anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I love living in Connecticut
Yes, and here's where you differ from certain posters who are basically trying to be a board-spoiler.

Nothing wrong with discussions and even debates about what can be improved about CT. There are several camps on this board. I'd say most like living in CT or miss living in CT. And most of us have our own issues and moments here. (Mine happens to be finding a great rental without water damage because I'm very allergic to mold - and certain molds can kill). And I certainly understand JViello's challenges, and others' points.

And I do enjoy reading some of our threads here that get into heavy debate about things. Because at the end of the thread, most of the time you have an array of interesting input from everyone, and a lot of us have very different points of view, yet still get along.

That's way different than someone ranting just because they can't stand where they're at and then say the people in the state are rude/this way/that way and go on and on in an emotional tanturm about how terrible CT is and the people in it. I think a lot of us have tried to politely tell the poster of this type that we're tiring of it.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I love living in Connecticut, but I am in a small minority of people in the 'sweet spot' right now. I have a high paying job in New York that wouldn't be available in places with a lower cost of living and taxes, so even with those factors, I am better off financially living here. And I love the beauty and charm of Connecticut, the nice restaurants, etc.
I'm also in a sweet-spot minority. We have a software engineering business that hires/uses contractors globally, so we're able to live anywhere with a decent internet connection. So we're pretty immune to whatever is going on in a particular job market. But all other economic concerns apply. How affordable would our retirement be in CT? Don't know.. Right now, in our earning years, I'd love to move back and enjoy the beauty there.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,972 times
Quote:

However, I do question whether I can stay here once I retire. The combination of the high cost of living and high taxes might be too much. I also worry about the prospects for a lot of young people, who find it necessary to leave the state in order to start their lives.

Part of the issue is something beyond our control -- high housing costs. This has been caused, IMO, by a too-loose monetary policy that keeps housing prices artificially inflated. And places near major population/job centers are most affected by this. So there's not a lot we as a state can do about this; it's more a problem of national policy.

But our expanding government and ever-increasing taxes are a major problem, a major thing driving out business and making young people go elsewhere. The bigger problem is that our spending is failing, in the sense that our poor aren't getting any better off by it, and aren't better off than poor people elsewhere. Arguably, they're worse off. So what are we getting for this spending? Once again, some of this is a national problem that is more acute here, but I think we have a lot of people who are so locked into the whole "Connecticut is the most enlightened state" mentality that they can't see the reality of the situation, and can't see the dismal results of the policies they support. It's as if there's a total disconnect between intention and results.
Excellent post, Dazzleman, particularly your last sentence. I always tell people that economic and political intentions and consequences are very different things, and the latter matters much more than the former. That's something that people across the political spectrum don't seem to understand.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
124 and 125 are spectacular posts. Can't rep him again, but I tried.

dazzleman"But our expanding government and ever-increasing taxes are a major problem, a major thing driving out business and making young people go elsewhere. The bigger problem is that our spending is failing, in the sense that our poor aren't getting any better off by it, and aren't better off than poor people elsewhere. Arguably, they're worse off. So what are we getting for this spending? Once again, some of this is a national problem that is more acute here, but I think we have a lot of people who are so locked into the whole "Connecticut is the most enlightened state" mentality that they can't see the reality of the situation, and can't see the dismal results of the policies they support. It's as if there's a total disconnect between intention and results."

Correct, as I stated already, the Green Bay Packers coach is not content on celebrating last year, but on winning this year. I see a lot of celebrate what was, instead of worrying about and constructively critiquing what will be, amongst several posters here. ( Example: Keeping UTC long-term, including blue collar, matters more NOW than having had them all these years, or how they helped State GDP in the past. How are the policies associated with them calling Ct "the least business friendly state" helpful to that cause?) .

Last edited by bobtn; 11-11-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut