Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,480 times

Advertisements

We are reloating to CT from VA for work. Trying to decide between Glastonbury, Rocky Hill or Farmington. Working in Hartford. Have two small children, so narrowed towns by school system. Looking for a family friendly town. We are not the type to "keep up with the Jones". Moving from a very modest town in VA.

We have done a ton of research on schools, taxes, demographics, etc. Just want a sense of the reality of life in these towns.

Thanks for any feedback, have seen some other forums asking same questions, but they were not recent posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM

521 posts, read 1,145,649 times
Glastonbury would be my choice, I think, but I hear the property taxes are pretty high there. However it's a beautiful scenic sort of rural little town, has good schools & shopping & is near the major highways to Hartford. It's probably closer to Hartford than say, Farmington too.
Rocky Hill is not a bad town. I think Farmington is pretty expensive town to live in though, it's very foresty & is near Avon, which is a great, old, old, like 1600s town formed village, which has nice shops, restaurants, shopping, and I'm sure it's got a good school system too.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM

21,473 posts, read 27,712,350 times
Can't go wrong with any of them. Can you visit and go from there?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,015,140 times
I think they're all great places to live. G-bury is probably the shortest commute to downtown Htfd. Rocky Hill is the least "keeping up with the Jones" of the three.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM

625 posts, read 2,040,652 times
We lived in Charlottesville VA for two years, not sure if that's a similar size/type town to where you're coming from? Of the towns you mention, I would say Glastonbury and Farmington most mirror Charlottesville VA.

Glastonbury and Farmington have a lot of open space, and larger lot sizes. Rocky Hill and Glastonbury have the most shopping (grocery stores, big box, etc.), but Farmington isn't far from shopping in West Hartford and Avon. Also, if you choose Glastonbury you'd probably find yourself in South Windsor and Manchester a lot for shopping.

You'll get the most house for your money in Rocky Hill or Farmington, and taxes will be lowest in Farmington.

Commute time to Hartford should be similar for all of these towns, probably 20-30 minutes in most cases. The trick with Farmington is that there is essentially one road in and out (Route 4) and it gets backed up during rush hours, so your commute there may be somewhat longer.

Glastonbury has a lot of orchards that we really enjoy going to during the various seasons. Pick your own blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, etc. Each town has good sports programs for youths, if that's what your kids are into.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,480 times
Default Thank You

Thank you for all of your responses. We visited last weekend, but had a lot of difficulty getting around because of the damage from the storm....horrible. Our hearts went out to everyone in the area, can not imagine. We are going to visit again at Thanksgiving.

One thing that is important to us is activities for the kids. All of the towns seem to have parks and recreation programs for the kids. Where we live there are story times at the local library, weekly kids shows at a shopping center, etc. Looking for opportunities to get out and meet people and have things to do with the kids.

Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 AM

723 posts, read 996,398 times
I have some friends that moved to Glastonbury for the same reasons; they were looking for a good commute in the Hartford area, affordable homes, good schools, great activities for the kids as well as good youth sports. I think they are very happy with their decision. They also have nice public facilities like town pools etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,883 times
You can't go wrong with any of those towns, I think it'll come down to preference and maybe commute.

The most important thing to know is that once you move to Connecticut you are a UCONN Husky- prepare yourself b/c basketball season is serious business!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM

34,633 posts, read 56,360,262 times
I agree that all three of these towns are good places to move to. Farmington is very nice but getting in and out of town during rush hour is a problem. As Amy noted, Route 4 is a nightmare and much of the town is off of that road.

Glastonbury is also very nice. I live here and it is a great place to raise a family. There are a lot of activities for kids and families and it is very convenient to downtown Hartford.

Both Glastonbury and Farmington are similar in socio economic character so you will see some of the "keeping up with the Jones" in these towns. Also both towns have some charm to them with historic old buildings and

Rocky hill is also a nice town but it is less upscale than Farmington or Glastonbury. To me it lacks the charm of either Glastonbury or Farmington. It has a lot of subdivisions and condo and apartment complexes. It is a personal choice if this suits you or not. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut