Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,407 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions about possibly relocating to CT from NY.

I currently live in Manhattan and I'm looking to escape. I've visited the New London/Groton/Mystic area and absolutely loved it. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living in this area?

Also, while I would like to live in the aforementioned area, I am applying to a school in the Danbury area and I would like to know how long the commute would be between Groton and Danbury, and if it's do-able...Meaning, will the traffic be tortous? If so, can someone tell me about Danbury and any nearby towns?

I currently drive in the City and I have driven 1.5 hours to school in the past. I just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,321 times
Danbury is long way away from Groton. I don't think you can live in New London area if you apply school in Danbury.

Sorry I don't know much about Danbury. I was thinking to move to New London County for a new job. I am living in New Jersey right now and I don't think it is a good place to raise a family. I have two little one, 3 years old and 10 month old. For me, New Jersey is too close to New York city and too populated. My transpotation time is 3 hours per day. I hate this. I would rather stay with my kids for a longer time. Both my husband and I love to move to a place less density of population. I did some research of New London County where our job will be. I think it is a millitary area especially in New London city and Groton. I was thinking East Lyme maybe a good place to live. First, there are affordable houses $250K-$300K; Second, its school system is good (not as great as Old Lyme, where is more expensive to live). But I am not sure about my research. Can anyone suggest a good place to live, the factors including safety, good elementary school, affordable house, percentage of highly educated people, etc.

I wrote too much at this late night. Thanks for your review.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 AM

439 posts, read 722,601 times
Firstly to vitalove, I would second the idea that commuting from Danbury to New London would be brutal- since it would mostly all be in I 95- do not decide on this arrangement.

And Bingo- look into Stonington just to the east of Groton New London, also Gales Ferry, on the Thames north of Groton. Mystic is very pleasant as well. A little further away, and still and easy/quick commute is the delightful town of East Haddam located on the lower Connecticut river with excellent schools.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,321 times
Thank you Dragondog for the suggestion. I'll check out these cities.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,407 times
Thanks Bingo and Dragon for your input. I've checked out homes in Danbury and it seems like there's a good selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut