Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
44 transmission lines were down, which is unprecedented. This storm was MUCH more severe than Irene was. Tree removal was a major issue as well, so that the linemen could get to the wires and poles. And you are wrong about the businesses vs. homes thing. They restord businesses FIRST, then residential properties. That's how the priority goes. But apparently it didn't happen with your business.
Yeah, that is why my coworker's home was restored three days before our office. And he does not live in the center of town. He lives out off New London Turnpike on Apple Hill. Hebron Avenue east of Addison was restored two days before Eastern Boulevard and a day before the Oakwood/Commerce Drive area. They may say they gave businesses priority but it was not what really happened. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm shocked someone would actually say "hey, get over it, your power bill was cheap!" Do you realize how much extra money people had to put out? Eating out for every meal. Buying water bottles. Buying batteries. Spending on gas for your generator. Throwing away 100+ bucks worth of food that we couldn't cook or use.
Not to forget some people without friends or family had to stay in motels or hotels. or go across state line that had electricity.
or
having some extra medical bills because of C/O poisoning from generators.
or
Buying the generator itself
or
the loss of income from the inability to run a buisness or get to work.

I think bottom line for everyone is, we're paying higher rates than any other state in the continental United States for electricity, so we should have a better prepared company.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They may say they gave businesses priority but it was not what really happened. Jay
Exactly. My friend in Seymour (who lives in the Great Hill residental section) got power before the entire stretch of downtown.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. My friend in Seymour (who lives in the Great Hill residental section) got power before the entire stretch of downtown.
There are always exceptions, of course. Electricity travels along a large grid. Any residential buildings that had their power restored at the same time or before businesses' power was restored, was purely incidental. In other words, they lucked out. There's no such thing as a dedicated business-only distribution network, typically. Both commercial and residential properties are connected to the same overall power grid. However, CL&P tried to restore power to those distribution lines that served businesses first. If your business didn't receive power in the early days, then oh well, too bad. If your house received power in the early days of restoration, then you lucked out. That's how it works. You all need to stop postulating these ideas that CL&P was out to punish customers or something. Anyone who believes that is just itchin' for a ******in'.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You all need to stop postulating these ideas that CL&P was out to punish customers or something.
If you're insinuating that I'm one of those people, you're wrong. But as a company, when you make a blanket statement of "everyone will have their power back by..." or "the commercial areas will be on first, then residential..." then you better stick to it. They set the bar high on their own - now meet it or deal with the consequences. Right now, they're dealing with the consequences. If you can't deal with the consequences, don't set certain goals.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Hey, I wonder if CL&P knows about this possible snowstorm for Wednesday night. LOL I personally dont think anyone will see Over 8" but with weather and a warm ocean you just never know. No leaves on trees this time but its always good to prepare...someone send CL&P this link. lol

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...eather-85.html

Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 AM

293 posts, read 782,284 times
Just a heads-up that I received an automated call recently from CL&P telling me I was eligible for the credit and informing me of the ways to apply for it (via phone or online)

I still think it's dumb that:

1. I have to apply for it. If you know I'm eligible, why don't you just apply the credit and not make me take another step AND tie up your staff in the process? Really backwards to generate all that additional work for both your customers and employees

2. The credit isn't pro-rated for those who suffered through 4 days or 6 days, etc. without power. Is my 7 days that much worse than someones 6?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM

If you call the 1-800-286-2000 an automated message comes on before the options that goes over the credit. I had to call them today after I noticed the top of a pole broken off and hanging down with the wires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut