Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times

Advertisements

So, I am quickly coming to the end of my 26 weeks of unemployment. I sat on phone for an hour Friday on hold. Could not get through to anyone. the labor website I couldn't find what I needed unless I missed it. I am confused about the possible extensions coming to an end on 12/31/11, am I in trouble here or is that for people who have already gotten extensions??

Anyone recently gone through trying to file an extension, I know you have to keep more vigilant records of job applications, etc, but I got one job offer so far for $11 an hour, no thank you. Never thought it would take so long to find something decent, but it has.

I know my neighbor collected for over a year...I don't want that to be the case for me I feel guilty collecting and want to get back to work but need the insurance to pay some bills as I continue my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Take the job paying $11 per hour. Lots of people would love to make that much.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Hard to do After taxes and travel expenses I would take-home 300 a week? Geeze I'm making 440 on unemployment, masters degree in business tons of experience plus it was a temp job no thanks.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM

811 posts, read 1,738,178 times
I think congress is working on keeping extensions going for those who have not reached 99 weeks yet.

I understand you not taking a job where you would earn significantly less than you do now on unemployment. That's more of a system problem than you simply taking advantage of what you're given.

Are you keeping your skills current in any way? Reading books, taking a course? You must have had some drive to go through with a MBA, how are you keeping that alive? Probably a questions an employer will have in the back of their mind.

What do you consider decent?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Hard to do After taxes and travel expenses I would take-home 300 a week? Geeze I'm making 440 on unemployment, masters degree in business tons of experience plus it was a temp job no thanks.
Geez, sorry to hear this. You have an undergrad and masters and can't find anything? Times are indeed tough...did you try actually going to the unemployment office? I believe there is one in Manchester. You might have better luck.

What industry were you in?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
My wife just got her first CT unemployment extension.

It's really simple.....if your 26 weeks ends before 12/31, you will at least get the first "tier" of your extension (20 weeks), no matter what. Then if Congress does not approve extending the benefits, you will end getting unemployment whenever that ends. If your 26 weeks ends after 12/31, then unemployment benefits will end unless Congress approves extensions.

If Congress does approve the extensions, then after the next 20 week "tier" is up, you will get another "tier" (I believe 14 weeks), etc. until the end (which could be 99 weeks, but it varies depending on the state's unemployment rate, NY is down to 79 weeks based on their rate, but I know CT's is higher). It's only the final 13-20 week (depending on state) tier (called "Extended Benefits") that has much more stringent job search requirements, I know in NY you have to send out once/month a list of employers you've contacted and speak with a Labor Dept. job search counselor once/month.

For some reason in CT you have to answer a basic questionnaire when your 26 weeks runs out and you move on to the next tier (this is what my wife did) and it can delay getting your next UE benefit by a week (though they retroactive this). This is what happened to my wife. In NY they just "continue you on" as long as you are still filing.

I hope that helps! You should also post in the "Work and Employment" forum (particularly in the "Unemployment" subforum) as you'll probably get a lot more answers there.

Quote:
Don't let people on these forums tell you otherwise, but the purpose of unemployment insurance is to PREVENT a "race to the bottom" where say people with Masters degrees, etc. immediately grab all the $11/hour jobs (though a lot of employers of those jobs will say your are "overqualified" and "bound to leave them when the economy improves" and likely not hire you anyway). I guess there does come a point where the LENGTH of getting benefits provides a "disincentive to work", and I would normally think 99 weeks (almost 2 years!) is quite a lot, but times are very tough nowadays! Again, good luck!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM

139 posts, read 202,057 times
actually the 11$ for a temp job is not a bad idea..simply because it would refresh your unemployment benefits status (at least I think thats how it works) - you can go back to your full benefits term after your temp job and gives you more time to look for something good...

Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katskill View Post
actually the 11$ for a temp job is not a bad idea..simply because it would refresh your unemployment benefits status (at least I think thats how it works) - you can go back to your full benefits term after your temp job and gives you more time to look for something good...
I have to disagree. If i'm an employer and i find out that this applicant took that job, i'm going to be inclined to offer him/her significantly less than i had budgeted for the position. If he/she was willing to work for $11/hr., why am i going to offer the stars and the moon? In the real world, this is how things work. Think about it..........

Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the help, I was a call center manager, and agree taking a $11 a week job is counterproductive, then future employers may ask why did I take such a low end job???

I was laid off 6/30 2011 so I guess I am out of luck if there are no extensions??? Bummer, I am not trying to be a slouch or "beat the system" just trying to get by till things improve. No extension puts me in the hole, not like I have been traveling the world on vacation and collecting....just the opposite trying hard to find a job like I was making before, I consider in the 50s for salary ok....25k is not enough for me, sorry.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the help, I was a call center manager, and agree taking a $11 a week job is counterproductive, then future employers may ask why did I take such a low end job???

I was laid off 6/30 2011 so I guess I am out of luck if there are no extensions??? Bummer, I am not trying to be a slouch or "beat the system" just trying to get by till things improve. No extension puts me in the hole, not like I have been traveling the world on vacation and collecting....just the opposite trying hard to find a job like I was making before, I consider in the 50s for salary ok....25k is not enough for me, sorry.
It's an election year coming up and as such no politician wants to look like they are "screwing the poor and unfortunate". I'm pretty sure the extensions will be there, Congress just has to compromise on how to fund it. The fact that both parties agree that it should be extended but disagree on how to fund it means that there'll be some sort of compromise. It may not happen until after the New Year which means you may lose benefits for awhile and then get them retroactively......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut