Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this was so much a reflection of society or just a really bad day. I think I would have just gone home after the accident. Either way, sorry it was such a horrendous day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Sorry to hear about this. What a nightmare.

One of the reasons I left the east coast was because of such experiences. Just an absolute rat race. Abrasive, rude, inconsiderate people. Unreasonably so. Far too confrontational for my tastes. I didn't care for the congestion, the crowds, the lines, and so forth. This was not healthy living.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:37 AM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

One of the reasons I left the east coast was because of such experiences. Just an absolute rat race. Abrasive, rude, inconsiderate people. Unreasonably so. Far too confrontational for my tastes. I didn't care for the congestion, the crowds, the lines, and so forth. This was not healthy living.
I actually saw that every week when I lived out west than here, here maybe not for a month see stuff like what kidyankee said...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Geez...I'm sorry. I am also saddened by behavior like that. I hope the hit-and-run offender is held accountable.
Thanks. He was arrested for evading an accident. Turns out his car wasn't registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Man, that's terrible. It makes me realize why I want to live in a rural area and shop online where possible.
Funny you say that. My wife said on the way home "lets move to Vermont". She was only half joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I do think that shopping around the holidays, this stuff seems to be even worse than the norm. People in a bad economy, trying to at least do something special for their kids and family for christmas, pushed to the end of their rope and on edge. It's bound to be a terrible outcome.
I get what you're saying. It still doesn't excuse the rudeness to your fellow man. I was appalled yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I'm not sure if this was so much a reflection of society or just a really bad day. I think I would have just gone home after the accident. Either way, sorry it was such a horrendous day.
That was actually our plan, except a fender bender in West Haven had 95 jammed up by Kimberly Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

I agree. There will always be those who say "it happens everywhere", and while the good people certainly outweigh the bad here in the Northeast, the folks with no morals or integrity here far surpass what I think that national average is. I've said it before and I continue to stand by it: The BosWash corridor definitely has more jerks per capita than anywhere else. At the same time, I still think we have more genuine people per capita than lots of places. I've met some of the best people in the Northeast, but also some of the worst.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 12-05-2011 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Sorry about your bad day! I learned long ago to avoid stores in December, particularly on weekends. I am finishing up all shopping this week (other than grocery shopping) and doing as much online as possible. I remember one year on the day before Christmas my dd just HAD to buy a gift at the mall though, so I broke my rule of not shopping during the insanity---and we got rear-ended. Honestly, people lose all sense of reality during the holidays, it's just plain dangerous.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Honestly, people lose all sense of reality during the holidays, it's just plain dangerous.
So true. The way people drive through parking lots is outrageous as well.

The thing is, if the guy who rear ended us stopped like a civilized human, we would have been more worried about his well-being than any damage to the car. Instead, he created more problems for everyone, including himself.

Aside from my opinionated posts on the forum, I consider myself to be a pretty nice guy and will go out of my way for anyone. But when you treat me or anyone else like crap, you're going to get treated the same way. I guess I'm a typical Connecticuter: get ten fold what you give, with an intolerance for intolerance.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
My last experience shopping around the holidays was about 10 years ago, and yes I am from Long Island, we are not all bad there. But I agree lots of obnoxious people there. Anyway out shopping with my girlfriend (now my wife) every store we went into people pushing and shoving, arguing with salespeople etc etc....couldn't take it, by lunch I had enough, made the mistake of going to a Chinese buffet, well they were having a lobster special with the buffet, I never saw people push and shove each other over what appeared to be cut up lobster but I saw it that day, parents in front of their children yelling about what customers took too much lobster meat, etc etc. What a joke.

Humanity is generally good but many people get nasty, more obnoxious than usual, short tempered, etc, this time of year. I avoid the mall at all costs, if I must go, I go first thing on a weekday morning and get it done ASAP. online shopping is the way to go.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 AM

We do most of our shopping online. Actually we're all done with most of the Christmas shopping. But I'm not going to buy a chandelier without first looking at it, and had to get fitted for a tux at J Bank, and needed dog food. Venturing out was pretty much inevitable.

Note to self: go during the week.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We do most of our shopping online. Actually we're all done with most of the Christmas shopping. But I'm not going to buy a chandelier without first looking at it, and had to get fitted for a tux at J Bank, and needed dog food. Venturing out was pretty much inevitable.

Note to self: go during the week.
UGH! I'm sorry to hear about your day.

Don't leave the house to get dog food. I buy Artie grain-free (aka super-expensive) dog food and this place delivers to my door, within two days, and it ends up being LESS expensive than if I went to the store (and struggled lifting a 30-pound bag):

Pet Food Online | Dog & Cat Supplies & Products | PetFoodDirect.com

Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I too am sorry to hear about your bad day. I hope you are still feeling okay. I know people can be sore the next day after an accident. I dread going out shopping during the holidays. We go up to Buckland hills in Manchester and it gets pretty crazy. I try to do my shopping during the week or at off hours to avoid the rush. Again sorry to hear you ran into so many rude people. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut