Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 AM

879 posts, read 1,649,390 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I feel very lucky to be able to shop on weekdays, and barring that, I typically just shop online.

My last year in TX, we were hit by a drunk driver on Thanksgiving. T-boned at an intersection. He sped off and nothing ever happened to him. It's maddening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,296,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I actually saw that every week when I lived out west than here, here maybe not for a month see stuff like what kidyankee said...
Well, in the portion of "out west" that I have placed myself in for the last 23 years, I have not experienced anything close to what the OP described. Quite the opposite in fact. The sour attitudes, antagonistic aggression, the generous use of the finger, the level of frustration that one feels having to fight through the congestion for even the slightest of tasks, and so forth, is a recipe for a diminished existence, full of aggravation and frustration, and a shortened lifespan.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 AM

21,520 posts, read 30,932,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Well, in the portion of "out west" that I have placed myself in for the last 23 years, I have not experienced anything close to what the OP described.
Even in the time that I lived in LA (a pretty fast paced city), everyone was far more relaxed and pleasant. I didn't notice much road rage (even on the 405 and 5). The general attitude was zen.

Even at stop lights, it's "gun it so the nose of my car can be ahead of the nose of the other car". It's so tiring after awhile.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Even in the time that I lived in LA (a pretty fast paced city), everyone was far more relaxed and pleasant. I didn't notice much road rage (even on the 405 and 5). The general attitude was zen.

Even at stop lights, it's "gun it so the nose of my car can be ahead of the nose of the other car". It's so tiring after awhile.
I know we disagreed on this before, but IMHO LA is anything but "relaxed and pleasant". My experience was the opposite and my friends out there agree. It is well known for being the home of congestion and "road rage". That said there is no excuse for what you experienced. God it is not even that close to the holiday yet. Jay

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know we disagreed on this before, but IMHO LA is anything but "relaxed and pleasant". My experience was the opposite and my friends out there agree. It is well known for being the home of congestion and "road rage". That said there is no excuse for what you experienced. God it is not even that close to the holiday yet. Jay
I'm more referring to the suburbs of LA; not the city itself. I just find the overall brusqueness to be less out there.

Anyway, the point of my thread wasn't to compare which areas are worse, or bash CT, but I wanted to point out that behavior like this is IMO unacceptable for adults no matter where you live.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yeah, I feel very lucky to be able to shop on weekdays, and barring that, I typically just shop online.

My last year in TX, we were hit by a drunk driver on Thanksgiving. T-boned at an intersection. He sped off and nothing ever happened to him. It's maddening.
Wow. Hope you guys were okay. It is maddening, that's for sure. Thankfully in our situation, good people came forward and helped out by getting his plate.

Can't wait to talk to his insurance company.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,743,517 times
That sounds like a really crappy day. That part of Route 1 gets pretty nuts this time of year. Price to pay for probably the densest retail area in the state. I steer clear. Also, Plan B is usually a madhouse and the staff seems too new to deal with it properly half the time. Might be why that guy was being a jerk (not saying it was justified, but maybe he had a bad experience there before, like many of us have). Not impressed at all with their customer service or food. Still, sounds like he acted like a real d-bag.

I was buying gifts downtown in Milford on Saturday and they were discussing how successful the lamplight stroll was the night before (which was really nicely done and a totally civilized old fashioned shopping event). One customer was saying how she buys local and hates the mall. The owner said "m-a-U-l". Indeed.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That sounds like a really crappy day. That part of Route 1 gets pretty nuts this time of year. Price to pay for probably the densest retail area in the state. I steer clear. Also, Plan B is usually a madhouse and the staff seems too new to deal with it properly half the time. Might be why that guy was being a jerk (not saying it was justified, but maybe he had a bad experience there before, like many of us have). Not impressed at all with their customer service or food. Still, sounds like he acted like a real d-bag.

I was buying gifts downtown in Milford on Saturday and they were discussing how successful the lamplight stroll was the night before (which was really nicely done and a totally civilized old fashioned shopping event). One customer was saying how she buys local and hates the mall. The owner said "m-a-U-l". Indeed.
Plan B was VERY busy. I felt like everything was well-done by the staff. The hostess was pretty on target with our wait time (15 minutes, sat in about 10). I got the bleu cheese burger and it was pretty good. I also got a [much needed] beer. Still, Prime 16 in New Haven is far better.

We avoid the Post Mall at all costs. Westfield turned it into crap, so it appeals to the cavemen that live in Bridgeport, West and New Haven. It's too bad that they can't make it like Danbury. What exactly is the lamplight stroll? It sounds nice.

One thing the Post Road needs badly in Milford/Orange are center turning lanes.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 AM

879 posts, read 1,649,390 times
YES. Center turning lanes would make such a huge difference in that part of town.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We avoid the Post Mall at all costs. Westfield turned it into crap, so it appeals to the cavemen that live in Bridgeport, West and New Haven. It's too bad that they can't make it like Danbury. What exactly is the lamplight stroll? It sounds nice.
Agreed. The Westfield Company stinks. The whole east end of the mall was dark last time I was there. Sure, there are a bunch of empty storefronts, but for the businesses that are there, they feel cheated. The manager at Radio Shack was saying the mall seems to do everything not to have foot traffic down there, from lumping all the most popular stores in one end, to not lighting up the other end, to having that gross play area where most parents avoid due to the snot-nosed brats that are usually there.

If Macerich (owner of Danbury Mall) snatched up the Connecticut Post, it would be such a good thing for it. That is a well-run company. As well-run as a dying breed can be.

The lamplight stroll is an event they do every year to boost the downtown business. It's really nice, and so's the tree lighting they do every year. In addition to what's shown on the flyer, shops do their own specials, raffles, giveaways, etc.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298924_10150450082213653_112869188652_10287556_184 4287995_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut