Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

This guy really is a train wreck. Shame on New Haven for re-electing him time after time. An enemy to the city, state and to the American way.

Mayor: Let All New Haven Immigrants Vote | New Haven Independent

And before any assumptions are made, I'm not anti-immigration. I actually believe attaining citizenship should be easier. Get them in the system and reporting income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
dkv

96 posts, read 156,633 times
Wow. It just gets crazier.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
This mayor starting to look like the anti-christ in the planet of New Haven land...

This is going to be a major problem because more Illegals going to be coming into New Haven...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
The list of reasons to stay away keeps growing. Its going to become much more formidable to label as a city on the upswing.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM

462 posts, read 737,264 times
We're sending them to college on our dimes, why not let them vote too.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
This guy makes my blood boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
The list of reasons to stay away keeps growing.
Why would you stay away from a city because of a crappy mayor? You're only depriving yourself. Oh, but you have the Ridgefield Playhouse...

Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
It's one more way they are diluting our country. What I found disturbing is that this is already done in other states. DeStefano will do whatever he wants because if anybody opposes this legitimately, they wil be labeled a racist and hater. Why dont we just mail out ballots to all the countries of the world and let them vote in our elections? It's the same thing...

Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
This dose not make some one racist because a same race person who is legal here shouldnt be consider a racist, right? Not fair for someone who did everything to become a citizen here...

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 AM

220 posts, read 525,195 times
It's actually not just illegal immigrants - this would allow anyone who is not a U.S. citizen to vote, including permanent residents and people who are legally here on student or other visas. We have a HUGE population of international students in New Haven as well as undocumented people. This would bump up the size of the electorate significantly, especially considering that a large percentage of our population has the right to vote but chooses not to.

My better half has a green card but is not a citizen and (no offense to him) I don't believe he should be allowed to vote until he has gone through the citizenship process. He agrees as he can still vote in his own country and thinks giving people the right to vote without citizenship cheapens the concept of citizenship.

Shameless play for votes by Johnny D (if he gives everyone the right to vote in the city in local elections, who are they going to vote for? Not the other guy). I can't see how it will pass, though. Even the most liberal commenters on the local news sites, who tend to be pro-New Haven ID card and pro-in-state-tuition for undocumented kids are against this. He's really getting desperate.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
It's actually not just illegal immigrants - this would allow anyone who is not a U.S. citizen to vote, including permanent residents and people who are legally here on student or other visas. We have a HUGE population of international students in New Haven as well as undocumented people. This would bump up the size of the electorate significantly, especially considering that a large percentage of our population has the right to vote but chooses not to.

My better half has a green card but is not a citizen and (no offense to him) I don't believe he should be allowed to vote until he has gone through the citizenship process. He agrees as he can still vote in his own country and thinks giving people the right to vote without citizenship cheapens the concept of citizenship.

Shameless play for votes by Johnny D (if he gives everyone the right to vote in the city in local elections, who are they going to vote for? Not the other guy). I can't see how it will pass, though. Even the most liberal commenters on the local news sites, who tend to be pro-New Haven ID card and pro-in-state-tuition for undocumented kids are against this. He's really getting desperate.
Pretty good post and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut