Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is a horrible story but I think that instead of arguing with a phone operator who has little control over anything, he should have been consulting with an attorney. The contractor did significant damage to his house and should be held accountable as should CL&P. The October snow storm was handled miserably by CL&P. They should be held accountable. Jay
People need to get over it and move on. People act as if CL&P purposely wanted people to stay out of power. Puh-lease. They were simply not as prepared as they could have been. Humans just like to complain no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
They were simply not as prepared as they could have been.
You said it yourself. That's the problem people have...

Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 AM

240 posts, read 537,307 times
I fail to see how CL&P has anything to do with the Christmas display not being shown this year. He's mad at CL&P so he decided to not celebrate Christmas? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Not to mention that he handled the situation wrong in so many ways. He should have contacted an electrician right away and got the house fixed. Then contacted an attorney to handle the legal situation. Threatening the operator was another dumb move.

Sure, CL&P messed up big time during the storm, but this guy sounds like an idiot. They live paycheck to paycheck but have thousands of dollars worth of Christmas decorations to set up every year (and probably end up with a $1,000 a month power bill). I'm glad that they have their priorities straight.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post
I fail to see how CL&P has anything to do with the Christmas display not being shown this year. He's mad at CL&P so he decided to not celebrate Christmas? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Not to mention that he handled the situation wrong in so many ways. He should have contacted an electrician right away and got the house fixed. Then contacted an attorney to handle the legal situation. Threatening the operator was another dumb move.

Sure, CL&P messed up big time during the storm, but this guy sounds like an idiot. They live paycheck to paycheck but have thousands of dollars worth of Christmas decorations to set up every year (and probably end up with a $1,000 a month power bill). I'm glad that they have their priorities straight.
That's exactly what I was thinking - which is why I didn't come to his defense.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post

It sounds like the reason he isn't putting up his usual display is because he doesn't want to give Constantly Losing Power any additional $$ of his. He's already lost enough to them for their incompetence. We don't know how they live throughout the year, maybe they budget and save for their annual display giving up vacations, nights out etc. And they likely accumulated their decorations over several years, so it's not like they suddenly spent thousands for them. I'm not going to make assumptions on how they spend what little extra income they might have. And do you know how expensive attorneys are? It's pathetic that he should have to pay someone to fight for him.

Having him arrested is just plain ridiculous on their part, and not paying for the damage they caused? I have no words.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Having him arrested is just plain ridiculous on their part, and not paying for the damage they caused? I have no words.
It was a little petty, but at the same time, the company was receiving multiple threats. These days, you can't ignore things. He did after all threaten them.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It was a little petty, but at the same time, the company was receiving multiple threats. These days, you can't ignore things. He did after all threaten them.
This is threatening? "‘What do I have to do, get into my car and go to corporate headquarters and run through the front doors to get to talk to a supervisor?’ She said, ‘Sir, are you threatening us?’ I said, ‘No, but what do I have to do to talk to someone?’ "

LOL, it's a wonder I haven't been arrested numerous times over the years.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
This is threatening? "‘What do I have to do, get into my car and go to corporate headquarters and run through the front doors to get to talk to a supervisor?’ She said, ‘Sir, are you threatening us?’ I said, ‘No, but what do I have to do to talk to someone?’ "

LOL, it's a wonder I haven't been arrested numerous times over the years.
Yeah - it's threatening in nature. Like I said it's very petty but still, anyone threatening to "run through the front doors" of a high security facility isn't doing themselves any favors. You don't know who the person is on the other end.

Like a previous poster said, if he's living paycheck to paycheck, why is he spending ridiculous amount of money on Christmas lights and decorations?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM

240 posts, read 537,307 times
Quote:
It sounds like the reason he isn't putting up his usual display is because he doesn't want to give Constantly Losing Power any additional $$ of his. He's already lost enough to them for their incompetence. We don't know how they live throughout the year, maybe they budget and save for their annual display giving up vacations, nights out etc. And they likely accumulated their decorations over several years, so it's not like they suddenly spent thousands for them. I'm not going to make assumptions on how they spend what little extra income they might have. And do you know how expensive attorneys are? It's pathetic that he should have to pay someone to fight for him.

Actually, it's not their incompetence, it was the incompetence of the company who hooked up the power to their house.

Yes, lawyers are quite expensive but it was a legal case. He should have contacted an attorney and also his insurance company.

And again, he is choosing not to put up the light display. The writer of the article (or whatever it was) was sensationalizing the situation in order to pile on CL&P. Yes, they screwed up big time during the storm (and in the years leading up to it). Yes, they caused damage to his house and should be held responsible. Everything after that was this guys own fault.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
it's very petty but still, anyone threatening to "run through the front doors" of a high security facility isn't doing themselves any favors. You don't know who the person is on the other end.

Like a previous poster said, if he's living paycheck to paycheck, why is he spending ridiculous amount of money on Christmas lights and decorations?
How do we know it's high security? That would never have occurred to me. I have worked for corporations and they weren't "high security". Maybe times have changed?? Geeez, give people a break for not knowing corporations are now "high security". We always had a receptionist at the front desk, in fact I used to be one. We did often have people arrive unannounced just looking to speak to people.

Well, we live paycheck to paycheck, but we spend ridiculous amounts on college etc. Some would argue that our kids should foot the whole bill, but we believe in helping out even if we are living on mac and cheese. We drive old cars and don't vacation anymore etc. People have different priorities on what they "should" spend their money on. Maybe these people sacrifice all year long, don't exchange presents etc., obviously the displays are important to them and bring them joy. We just don't know what other sacrifices they are making to afford this annual display. Sadly, they may need to use the money saved on their electric bill towards an attorney. And an electrician...I agree they should call WTNH and make this more public, they should not have to pay an electrician a single dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut