Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 47,923 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I had a hard time finding a reasonable rental north of Hartford - what I mean by reasonable is a rental rate that doesn't equate to covering a landlord's mortgage who originally overpaid for a crappy place.

So we found a great, temporary place from Bristol. But I'll work in East Granby. Since we're not from Connecticut, we have no idea what I'm getting myself into in terms of a commute. I assume that it could be painful commuting through Hartford, but I just don't know.

Anyone care to let me know what I'm in for during the next year while we search for a more permanent place north/west of Hartford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
I actually know someone who does the reverse commute, who goes from East Granby to Bristol everyday. I personally wouldn't make that commuter. I would say during rush hour it will take you a little less then an hour since it's all backroads and there are lots of lights on the routes you would take.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,386,795 times
It would be rough. You could have gotten just as a cheap rental in winsted/torrington area and cut your commute down.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks Mike. We were shot down in those areas as well. Not too many 3 bedroom houses for rent in those areas and those that are there are snatched up pretty quickly.

I'm expecting rough...but I used to live in DC for a while and the commuting there was just gawd awful hair pulling. If I can make 30 odd miles in under an hour, I'll be happy. In DC my commute was 10 miles and I was lucky to make it in an hour.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM

4,523 posts, read 6,767,514 times
It depends what part of Bristol you are commuting from and to where in East Granby your job is located.

I commute from North Granby to Bristol. It's 45 minutes but I drive all secondary roads with very little traffic. Amazingly there are only 5 stop lights on my 30 mile commute.

That being said if I was renting I'd definitely be looking at something closer to work since the time in the car and the money to commute adds up.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
It depends what part of Bristol you are commuting from and to where in East Granby your job is located.

I commute from North Granby to Bristol. It's 45 minutes but I drive all secondary roads with very little traffic. Amazingly there are only 5 stop lights on my 30 mile commute.

That being said if I was renting I'd definitely be looking at something closer to work since the time in the car and the money to commute adds up.
Yeah it costs about 50 cents a mile to operate your car. So that's 30 bucks a day to get to work with a 60 mile roundtrip commute. 600/month just to get work. Remember to factor that in when you're renting that you'll save money on not just gas, but wear and tear on your vehicle if you're closer.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Looking at a map, we'll be living close to Robertson Field - which puts us on the east side of Bristol...and the job location is right on CT20 around Main Street in East Granby. What are your back roads to get from N. Granby to Bristol? I usually prefer the back routes, and it'll especially be helpful as I'm trying to familiarize myself with the area and which areas look nice, etc.

Thx!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM

856 posts, read 2,010,342 times
Are you using an MLS search like realtor.com to look? I just ran a quick search and found 3-3 family homes under $1k a month in the torrigton/winsted area. I didnt map them but it's worth looking further. A lil high 1200-1400 opens up more. That commute is going to be tough...worse in snow on those shady back roads (ice). I'd consider contacting a realtor before making that commute. Just like you negotiate a house you can negotiate the rent of a home listed with a real estate agent.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
Look in the town of Windsor Locks, there are many rentals there in a lower price point and it would be a nice short commute for you.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Also, check agawam, westfield, southwick, and west springfield, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut