Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 14,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
This thread is interesting, as I am currently living in Glastonbury, and thinking about relocating to Richmond. Glastonburyvis a greatvtown though, would you consider living in a townhouse? Plenty around for under 200k....mine borders on a nice farm.
I would consider a town house but a nice garage is soo appealing. Something to stick and work on that go fast car.

give me a tour up there and I'll give you one down here if you'd like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapultkid View Post
How about a housing swap?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
I would consider a town house but a nice garage is soo appealing. Something to stick and work on that go fast car.

Being a "farmboy", I'm sure you'll find and feel at home in many of those rural communities others already mentioned, with a home and garage for the petrol toys.. and on the subject of your hobbies...

http://www.cartct.com/index1.shtml (broken link)

Sports Car Driving Association - Performance Driving in a Safe and Controlled Environment

Lime Rock Park

Skip Barber Racing School | Experience High Performance Driving and Racing Instruction

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How about a housing swap?
haha I like it. Although I most likly would make out better since I just have a apartment in the Fan. Any ideas where you want to live down here in Richmond ctwhitechin?

Thanks for the listing of car clubs and the like. That is about the list I came up with on my own. Lime Rock seems to be the big attraction.

Last edited by catapultkid; 01-04-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
haha I like it. Although I most like would make out better since I just have a apartment in the Fan. Any ideas where you want to live down here in Richmond ctwhitechin?

Thanks for the listing of car clubs and the like. That is about the list I came up with on my own. Lime Rock seems to be the big attraction.

NP, CART does most the autoXing stuff. SCDA, who's owner I am a good friends with, does track events all over the NE, mostly Lime Rock, Watkins Glen,( about 4-5 hours away) and Loudon. (about 3 hours away). If you ever want to do something with them or check out Lime Rock send me a PM, I've worked there both for the school and on my own as an instructor for over 10 years now.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
haha I like it. Although I most like would make out better since I just have a apartment in the Fan. Any ideas where you want to live down here in Richmond ctwhitechin?

The Fan is a really cool area. The best diner I've ever been to was in Richmond - the Carytown section - called the Galaxy. First time I ever had fried pickles.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
With a job in Glastonbury, you could go out to some of the cheaper, and more rural towns like Marlborough, Coventry, etc. If you go further east, the cheaper it gets. The commute isn't bad as traffic is pretty much nonexistent in that area. You'll get more house on bigger lots as you go east.

As far as motorsports, there's no shortage here.

As mentioned, CART does auto-x and track events constantly, as does FCSCC (Fairfield County Sports Car Club). The Jaguar club also does a neat slalom event in Hartford every year.

More info:

Connecticut Autocross & Rally Team (http://www.cartct.com/index1.shtml - broken link)
FCSCC Home Page - Autocross and Rally in Connecticut

Also SCDA, NASA, etc. do events at Lime Rock Park often. It's a terrific track. If you don't mind traveling, there are plenty of other tracks in NY, NJ, PA, NH, etc.

Another great advantage is that CT has some of the best driving roads in the country. I'm not familiar with northeast CT, but if it's anything like northwest CT - you're in for a treat. NW CT has some of the finest driving roads you'll ever find.

I'm a car nut, and the only thing I don't like is the snowy months. CT actually does a great job maintaining their state routes, which is where you'll do most of your recreational driving. If you like twisties/turns, you'll be at home here.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
I second pretty much what everybody is saying here, however some of these towns (Hebron, Marlborough, Columbia) have pretty darn high property tax rates. Your house and nice car will cost you in that respect! But going even further out, say to Lebanon, the costs go down quite a bit and you're 20 minutes to Glastonbury center; a drive I do every day

Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The Fan is a really cool area. The best diner I've ever been to was in Richmond - the Carytown section - called the Galaxy. First time I ever had fried pickles.
Yep the Galaxy Diner is walking distance from my apartment front door. Glad you had a good time in RVA. I like it here.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
NP, CART does most the autoXing stuff. SCDA, who's owner I am a good friends with, does track events all over the NE, mostly Lime Rock, Watkins Glen,( about 4-5 hours away) and Loudon. (about 3 hours away). If you ever want to do something with them or check out Lime Rock send me a PM, I've worked there both for the school and on my own as an instructor for over 10 years now.
Good to know. I am hoping we can find our way up there and make the most of the motorsport theme. Its great to hear that it lives up north as well. I would like to also see/participate in rallying being a farmboy. Ive always heard that NY and the northeast has much more rallyx and the like to offer. It is non existant here in Richmond/VA area which is super dissappointing.

Thanks for the advice by others as well. This forum is ALIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut