Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times

Advertisements

I really would like to know so I can tell my dad that because he grew up with goat milk in his other country he grew up in so I would like to know, do they sell goat milk around here??? I would like to see how it taste lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I'm pretty sure you can find it at Stop & Shop and maybe even ShopRite.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
whole foods 100% has it, saw it there today as a matter of fact.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I've seen it at Whole Foods.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
Yup, Whole Foods or local health food stores. Our local one here in Stratford (Nature's Way) has it.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM

OH OK.... I never been to whole food before diff will check it out :-D thanks guys

Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I really would like to know so I can tell my dad that because he grew up with goat milk in his other country he grew up in so I would like to know, do they sell goat milk around here??? I would like to see how it taste lol
I'm not in Connecticut but the title of the thread caught my attention and I just wanted to say - goat milk is wonderful!

I'm not at all familiar with stores like Whole Foods and where they get their milk but if you can find a local licensed raw milk goat dairy, that's the way I would go. You would most likely get it at its freshest straight from the dairy. You might try googling "goat dairies" and your location. I know where I am, that brings up several.

Goat milk is naturally homogenized, and because of that, it retains a certain creaminess. If you can believe everything that's written about it on the internet, it is also supposed to be very, very good for you.

I milk my own goat and I have it coming into my house fresh every twelve hours. Very, very good - and I'm not really much of a milk drinker.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm not in Connecticut but the title of the thread caught my attention and I just wanted to say - goat milk is wonderful!

I'm not at all familiar with stores like Whole Foods and where they get their milk but if you can find a local licensed raw milk goat dairy, that's the way I would go. You would most likely get it at its freshest straight from the dairy. You might try googling "goat dairies" and your location. I know where I am, that brings up several.

Goat milk is naturally homogenized, and because of that, it retains a certain creaminess. If you can believe everything that's written about it on the internet, it is also supposed to be very, very good for you.

I milk my own goat and I have it coming into my house fresh every twelve hours. Very, very good - and I'm not really much of a milk drinker.
As I have been told! I want it now

Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
IMO pasteurized goat milk tastes kinda gross. Yuck. I'm sure where your dad grew up it was raw.

When raw it tastes exactly like cow's milk, until it starts to go bad - then it starts to taste "goaty", like the store bought stuff.

I got raw goat milk from a farm in Southbury for a while. This was maybe 6 years ago. No idea if they're still there. Here's a link: BuyCTGrown

Also, here's a list of raw goat/cow milk sellers: Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
I used to pasteurize my milk. I wouldn't say it was "gross," but there was something "different" about it. I could never quite put my finger on it, I just like the raw better.

As for it turning "goaty," this can be true, too. I think a lot depends on how the milk is handled, maybe the breed of the goat, possibly what the goat is fed. I found a jar of milk in my refrigerator the other day that had gotten buried behind some other stuff. I write the date of the milk, as well as if it's AM or PM, on the lid and this particular jar of milk was dated eight days before. I was curious, so I took a drink of it and it tasted just fine. I have heard and read of goat owners who say their milk starts to go bad after three or four days; I don't know why that is the case for some people and not for others.

That's an awesome link you posted and I'm sure that will be a big help to the OP.

I don't know what the laws in Connecticut are about selling raw milk, but here in Washington, to be "legal," it has to come from a "licensed" raw milk dairy. I have a friend who has such a dairy and she spends a lot of money getting her animals tested. Her facility also has to be inspected on a regular basis (I'm not sure if she has to pay for that, though). Her customers are happy to pay the $9.00 or $10.00 a gallon she charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut