Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 18,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I don't know if it's animosity so much as it is a minor eye roll toward people moving to Oxford and believing it was on par with Woodbury or Roxbury (and don't try to tell me it is!).
Don't try to tell you it is? Look at the numbers, AMSS. Oxford has a family income that is HIGHER than Southbury, Middlebury and Woodbury. Oxford also has house prices that are higher than all three. It seems like you and other Valley residents are in denial that Oxford boomed from a middle class town to an affluent suburb. It is the 26th wealthiest town in CT for household income.

The ****-poor attitude I'm seeing here from Valley residents toward Oxford makes me understand why Oxford does not want to associate with such people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,752,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyJ1234 View Post
You should refer to my comparisons above between Oxford and Seymour schools. The schools in Oxford perform better. That is irrefutable.

I was responding to kidyankee about greatschools methodology. My response had nothing directly to do with Oxford or Seymour or you.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,601,298 times
Quote:
Don't try to tell you it is? Look at the numbers, AMSS. Oxford has a family income that is HIGHER than Southbury, Middlebury and Woodbury. Oxford also has house prices that are higher than all three. It seems like you and other Valley residents are in denial that Oxford boomed from a middle class town to an affluent suburb. It is the 26th wealthiest town in CT for household income.

The ****-poor attitude I'm seeing here from Valley residents toward Oxford makes me understand why Oxford does not want to associate with such people.
No one said it didn't boom. Most Valley towns boomed. I'm just pointing out why Valley towns rolls their eyes at Oxford constantly needing point out what they have become. Your ridiculous post points that out. Seriously, who takes the time to compare incomes from one town over other towns? Plus your "such people" line speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

Last edited by AMSS; 05-09-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
Quote:

I have also noticed this attitude from some Valley residents. And yes, I do agree that Oxford has a little more in common with Southbury/Middlebury/etc. than it's Valley neighbors. I'm not saying that the Valley is full of poor people with poor schools, don't misunderstand, but Oxford is definitely more affluent. I don't understand why people feel the need to say "but it's still the Valley!" What difference does it really make?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
No one said it didn't boom. Most Valley towns boomed. I'm just pointing out why Valley towns rolls their eyes at Oxford constantly needing point out what they have become. Your ridiculous post points that out. Seriously, who takes the time to compare incomes from one town over other towns? Plus your "such people" line speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.
Actually, I agree with Cathy here. You're saying "don't even tell me Oxford is like Woodbury". Really? Why isn't Oxford like Woodbury, or Southbury, or Middlebury? Because it's in the Valley?

Time to be realistic. People looking to move to Oxford are not considering Seymour, Naugatuck, Ansonia and Derby. Why? Because Oxford has the landscape and demographics of communities like Southbury. My parents moved to Oxford in the early 2000s and they looked in Southbury, Oxford and Orange. If you're going to make comments that Oxford is not like other affluent communities, be prepared to be presented with statistics. Don't insult the person providing them.

Here are 2011 stats for median household income:

Oxford: $103,107
Middlebury: $94,816
Woodbury: $82,097
Southbury: $72,941

Bottom line - Oxford is part of the Valley (and yes, your comparing Rowayton/Norwalk to Oxford/Valley is flawed). I think a lot of the "problem" is that new residents are coming from a place where the "Valley" meant the Hudson Valley. They aren't familiar with the term and, naturally, will be ignorant to it. Stop obsessing over people in Oxford attending Seymour many years ago. Stop your erroneous comparisons. Embrace the fact that Oxford has led the region in smart growth and be proud of it. Don't give the town grief for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have also noticed this attitude from some Valley residents. And yes, I do agree that Oxford has a little more in common with Southbury/Middlebury/etc. than it's Valley neighbors. I'm not saying that the Valley is full of poor people with poor schools, don't misunderstand, but Oxford is definitely more affluent. I don't understand why people feel the need to say "but it's still the Valley!" What difference does it really make?
I really don't get it either. As you said earlier, who cares if it's the Valley or not? It's a seperate town with its own identity that the "Valley" seems to be trying to hold down. Perhaps out of jealousy? I don't know.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-09-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Check out their "rankings" for Foran and Law in Milford, and Bunnell and Stratford in Stratford.

Still believe the site is good?
Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's not a perfect ranking, but it's a good way to get an idea of how the schools are in a particular area.
So yes, I believe the site can give a pretty accurate portrayal of schools in the area. Foran, Law and Bunnell all rank about average. Not awful, but not wonderful. They rank along the lines of Seymour schools - seems pretty accurate to me.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've only seen it come up when it is stated how much better Oxford is. Those of use that grew up in the area remember Oxford as a little too Deliverance-style, just as some might have seen Seymour as a dingy pit. So it's sound funny to hear people go on about its eliteness. To me, Oxford has become a lovely picturesque town with good schools. But some people like downtowns, established walkable neighborhoods, a mix of socioeconomic populations, seeing their neighbors, etc. That doesn't make them better or worse than a town like Oxford, it's just different. So when I hear anyone brag about how much better than town is because they fight to keep it homogenous, that's a little annoying.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I've only seen it come up when it is stated how much better Oxford is. Those of use that grew up in the area remember Oxford as a little too Deliverance-style, just as some might have seen Seymour as a dingy pit. So it's sound funny to hear people go on about its eliteness. To me, Oxford has become a lovely picturesque town with good schools. But some people like downtowns, established walkable neighborhoods, a mix of socioeconomic populations, seeing their neighbors, etc. That doesn't make them better or worse than a town like Oxford, it's just different. So when I hear anyone brag about how much better than town is because they fight to keep it homogenous, that's a little annoying.
I'm sorry to say but Oxford is more picturesque than Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia and Derby. It also has better performing schools, statistically. If you don't like that, then oh well. Too bad. Nothing you or I can do about it, right?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,752,273 times
Quote:
Again...

So yes, I believe the site can give a pretty accurate portrayal of schools in the area. Foran, Law and Bunnell all rank about average. Not awful, but not wonderful. They rank along the lines of Seymour schools - seems pretty accurate to me.
I would not consider a "3" to be average at all. That's the ranking that they assigned to Law. The only one that was rated "average" by them was Bunnell("5"). The other 2 schools were rated as "4". If any school were to merit a 3, i would think it would have to be Stratford High out of this group. But i don't think Stratford is so bad that it would merit a 3, let alone Law meriting that ranking.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to say but Oxford is more picturesque than Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia and Derby. It also has better performing schools, statistically. If you don't like that, then oh well. Too bad. Nothing you or I can do about it, right?
Someone's got a nasty bug in them this morning. You are just making my point that Oxford feels this need to go out of their way to associate themselves with wealthier towns. I never said they weren't wealthy just saying the defensiveness when you even mention that Seymour is next to Oxford is weird.

FWIW, my father did work on the Seymour-Oxford regionalization committee working his tail off along with residents from Oxford only to see it derailed by a handful of parents who had their kids in private school. He even supported Oxford's high school, but got a little peeved when they started scapegoating Seymour to get it because Oxford couldn't convince most of their own residents to vote for it.

Jealousy - no (although I want my town to hire their economic development director). We looked at a few houses there because that's where my husband is from but Oxford's a little too rural for me and I'll take a picture of Huntington's green, Seymour's French Park, and even a well kept old house on Wakelee Avenue over a picture of woods and Shryver's farm. But what's picturesque to one is personal and relative and I know you're just being a mouthy crab. Drink that coffee kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut