Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM

43 posts, read 91,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Rapes can happen anywhere. The fact is that Hartford had 11.6 times the rape rate as West Hartford in 2010. West Hartford is very safe and to suggest otherwise is misleading at best.
I just get sick of the mentality that West Hartford is the land of elves and rainbows and sunshine and Hartford is the equivalent to Mordor. I simply walk through Hartford all the time unbothered. If I was to buy a house, I'd save myself the $100k-$200k to live in the West End over West Hartford. I know it's all personal preference and that everyone love West Hartford to death... The op originally mentioned that he was looking around Farmington Ave in Hartford and it took like 3 posts to try to push him to the safe, sterile suburbs....

Crime rates are deceptive as well because they obviously don't take into account unreported crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
Oh, like the rape in someone's yard on Fern St? Nothing happens like that?
I just said in my previous post that suburbs are not immune to crime. Did you bother to even read my previous post? And in that Fern Street incident, as is often the case, the perpetrator wasn't even a resident of the town or even the state - they found that POS up in Springfield, Mass.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
I just get sick of the mentality that West Hartford is the land of elves and rainbows and sunshine and Hartford is the equivalent to Mordor. I simply walk through Hartford all the time unbothered. If I was to buy a house, I'd save myself the $100k-$200k to live in the West End over West Hartford. I know it's all personal preference and that everyone love West Hartford to death... The op originally mentioned that he was looking around Farmington Ave in Hartford and it took like 3 posts to try to push him to the safe, sterile suburbs....

Crime rates are deceptive as well because they obviously don't take into account unreported crimes.
I don't think WH is perfect by any means. It's perfect for me, but that's where it ends. By the same token, that doesn't mean I hate Hartford. I was just there last night having drinks at Arch St Tavern with friends. Downtown has some great spots, and so does the West end - Half Door is one of my favorite hangouts, and if parking weren't such a pain in the ass I'd be there every night (and if I could afford it ).

The rape incident you was an eye-opener for a number of reasons. It wasn't because the attitude was "how could this happen in our perfect little town?" (although there were some people who felt that, I'm sure.) This happened in an affluent area on a main road popular for joggers and the circumstances that it happened under were really disturbing - at dawn, in someone's front lawn in the bushes. That's what really made this so alarming.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I just said in my previous post that suburbs are not immune to crime. Did you bother to even read my previous post? And in that Fern Street incident, as is often the case, the perpetrator wasn't even a resident of the town or even the state - they found that POS up in Springfield, Mass.
Sure but you're sitting there comparing unrelated sections of town. The West End is nothing like the North End. It'd be like if I started comparing what goes on in West Hartford Center to what occurs on the New Britain border. Isolating areas of town (if you're going to use statistics) would make for better comparisons. Also, much of Hartford's crime is imported as well from Manchester and other suburbs. Cities are going to have higher rates of events, but it doesn't make them scary or bad to everyone.

Haha, I used to work at the HalfDoor. Good people there.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM

83 posts, read 226,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoclever View Post
Please suggest me a good/safe apartment community and my budget is around
Hey OP, give us some more of your preferences. How important is it to you that you live in Hartford? What kind of living conditions are you looking for? Is this long term or short term? Are schools, stores, parks, public transit, or other resources a concern?

For $1200 a month there is a wide array of places you could pick either in the city or the surrounding area. More detail on what you want would help us help you.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I assume you are subcontinental Indian (as opposed to American Indian). You might want to look at West Hartford or Newington. Both areas have Indian families, and Indian grocery stores. There is an Indian store, Cosmos, on Farmington Avenue in West Hartford, not too far west of the Hartford/West Hartford border, and there are a lot of apartments near there. There is a bus line you could take to work, and there are other shops too that your wife can walk to. Also, there is an even better Indian store, Asia Grocers, at 230 West Hill Road, in Newington, and there are apartment/condo complexes near by. Both areas are safe, decent, somewhat walkable, and you could get to work easily by car from either, by bus from both, but by bus most easily from West Hartford near Farmington Avenue. You should be able to find a 2 BR for $1200 in either location. Check Craigslist, and post on Craigslist.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Original poster, if you were a single, "streetwise" male,moving here from a high crime urban area, then sure, go ahead and look at Hartford. But your wife and baby will be much happier and safer in West Hartford or Newington, no matter what anyone else here may say. I served my time living in crime-ridden urban areas while I was in school - this is NOT what you want for your family.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM

706 posts, read 756,764 times
Try the Capitol View Apartments on Asylum Ave, it's right next to The Hartford Insurance, and right off the Highway. There's a lot of Indian people in that building, so you will fit in.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Original poster, if you were a single, "streetwise" male,moving here from a high crime urban area, then sure, go ahead and look at Hartford. But your wife and baby will be much happier and safer in West Hartford or Newington, no matter what anyone else here may say. I served my time living in crime-ridden urban areas while I was in school - this is NOT what you want for your family.
wow, just wow. scared much?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
I think the difference in school quality is enough to select West Hartford over Hartford itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut