Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
 
21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Reputation: 9618

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
North Haven is worth looking at if it fits the OP's commute. If they're commuting to anywhere in Fairfield County that could be a problem. I will say in a practical sense I don't think North Haven schools are THAT significantly better than Milford or Shelton's to warrant looking there instead, but it's a good town and a good value for sure.
The OP said nothing about Fairfield County.

North Haven's schools aren't far superior to Milford or Shelton's, but you can definitely get more for your money in North Haven than both Milford and Shelton. Plus, there's a ton of shopping in No. Haven, and IMO, it's a nicer town than both. Very suburban, lots of greenery, and no massive shopping strip that really takes away character from both Milford and Orange. North Haven's big box shopping is confined to two shopping centers, and the rest of the town is comprised of beautiful residential neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,499 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Reputation: 6664
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The OP said nothing about Fairfield County.

North Haven's schools aren't far superior to Milford or Shelton's, but you can definitely get more for your money in North Haven than both Milford and Shelton. Plus, there's a ton of shopping in No. Haven, and IMO, it's a nicer town than both. Very suburban, lots of greenery, and no massive shopping strip that really takes away character from both Milford and Orange. North Haven's big box shopping is confined to two shopping centers, and the rest of the town is comprised of beautiful residential neighborhoods.
They didn't, but they also said Branford was the furthest north they'd go, and given Shelton/Milford's location - just assuming.

Nicer is subjective, and I'd choose Milford, Shelton or Branford, etc. over North Haven any day. North Haven is a generic suburban CT town to me with no real town center/downtown or character. I'm not a huge fan of Orange either for the same reasons, although I wouldn't hesitate either town to someone looking for a low key suburban town with good schools. As far as the massive shopping strip, if you actually live in Orange or Milford, a few miles of one road really doesn't take away from the character or feel of the town. Living and visiting are very different things. That's more an effect on outsiders. I personally feel like nothing in North Haven touches the charm or appeal of a neighborhood like Gulf Street in Milford. Everyone has different tastes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
 
21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They didn't, but they also said Branford was the furthest north they'd go, and given Shelton/Milford's location - just assuming.

Nicer is subjective, and I'd choose Milford, Shelton or Branford, etc. over North Haven any day. North Haven is a generic suburban CT town to me with no real town center/downtown or character. I'm not a huge fan of Orange either for the same reasons, although I wouldn't hesitate either town to someone looking for a low key suburban town with good schools. As far as the massive shopping strip, if you actually live in Orange or Milford, a few miles of one road really doesn't take away from the character or feel of the town. Living and visiting are very different things. That's more an effect on outsiders. I personally feel like nothing in North Haven touches the charm or appeal of a neighborhood like Gulf Street in Milford. Everyone has different tastes though.
Have you ever been to the back roads of North Haven? The scenery can't be touched. It's very nice, as I said, and leafy. Personally, the industrial and commercial areas of Milford do take away from its charm IMO.

If the OP is going to be regularly commuting to FFC, then they shouldn't even consider Milford or up IMO. Fairfield/Trumbull is the furthest I'd go.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue which town is better. I simply gave the OP another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
 
5,064 posts, read 15,836,627 times
Reputation: 3571
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

North Haven's schools aren't far superior to Milford or Shelton's, but you can definitely get more for your money in North Haven than both Milford and Shelton. Plus, there's a ton of shopping in No. Haven, and IMO, it's a nicer town than both. Very suburban, lots of greenery, and no massive shopping strip that really takes away character from both Milford and Orange. North Haven's big box shopping is confined to two shopping centers, and the rest of the town is comprised of beautiful residential neighborhoods.
Agreed. But naturally some would find Shelton or Milford more appealing, depending on personal preferences. I think the OP will just have to have a look at all three areas to see which would be the best fit for her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,499 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Reputation: 6664
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Have you ever been to the back roads of North Haven? The scenery can't be touched. It's very nice, as I said, and leafy.
It's definitely woodsy if one is looking for that. I don't find the scenery very impressive, maybe because I grew up in an area that is arguably more scenic as far as rolling hills and woods go, and spent a lot of time in Litchfield County. Shrug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
 
21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's definitely woodsy if one is looking for that. I don't find the scenery very impressive, maybe because I grew up in an area that is arguably more scenic as far as rolling hills and woods go, and spent a lot of time in Litchfield County. Shrug.
Actually North Haven isn't too woodsy at all. It's just very green and residential. Shelton is woodsier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,499 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Reputation: 6664
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually North Haven isn't too woodsy at all. It's just very green and residential. Shelton is woodsier.
I was actually surprised how rural northwest Shelton felt, up around Jones Family Farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
 
8,777 posts, read 19,762,555 times
Reputation: 5290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd suggest you look into North Haven. It's centrally located, has great access to three major highways (91, 95, 15), has very nice homes in your price range, great schools and a lot of shopping.

I have really grown to like North Haven over the past few years as I've spent more and more time there. It's a solid middle class community.
I've recommended North Haven in the past also, but i'm not sure i'd push it in this instance given the OP's budget. I don't think North Haven will have an extensive number of properties at the OP's price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM
 
21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've recommended North Haven in the past also, but i'm not sure i'd push it in this instance given the OP's budget. I don't think North Haven will have an extensive number of properties at the OP's price point.
True. 500-600k is close to top dog in town. That said, they'll certainly get more for their money than they would in Milford or Shelton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,644 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Reputation: 11151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I was actually surprised how rural northwest Shelton felt, up around Jones Family Farm.
That section of Shelton is called White Hills and it is pretty rural in character. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top