Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM

34,628 posts, read 56,340,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very suburban, lots of greenery, and no massive shopping strip that really takes away character from both Milford and Orange.
Uh.. have you ever driven down Washington Avenue (Route 5)? It is nothing but strip centers. I don't disagree with you that North Haven is a beautiful town and if you dislike traffic driving around town, I would recommend it over Milford or Shelton. And the OP would get more for their money there. I also agree with Stylo though that North Haven does not have the character of the other two towns. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM

21,514 posts, read 30,898,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uh.. have you ever driven down Washington Avenue (Route 5)? It is nothing but strip centers. I don't disagree with you that North Haven is a beautiful town and if you dislike traffic driving around town, I would recommend it over Milford or Shelton. And the OP would get more for their money there. I also agree with Stylo though that North Haven does not have the character of the other two towns. Jay
Washington Ave is not nearly as bad as the Post Road in Milford/Orage. The Post Road is incredibly unscenic, different color tacky signs screaming in your face and horrid traffic. North Haven is pretty strict when it comes to zoning.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I just hate the Post Road in Milford and Orange, and feel it really ruins both towns (which are beautiful otherwise). Unfortunately I have to shop there often.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM

21,458 posts, read 27,700,760 times
Quote:
Again, I live in Milford and it's very different as a resident vs. someone visiting town to shop on Route 1. Traffic identified as a problem driving around town for residents is inaccurate.

The attached red highlighted area is really the only consistently congested part of town. It's also where most visitors tend to drive in Milford, so I feel like the congested conjecture is unfair. People come to town to do their shopping in this very small slice of Milford, usually on a Saturday, and conclude that it's a traffic-laden town. Not at all true. To me, Norwalk is the definition of congested where most of the main roads move very slowly at most times of the day.

I commute daily and go from the Bayview area up to the Milford Connector and don't experience a shred of traffic. At night I come onto Exit 35 and go to Route 1 and through downtown. Again, the absolute most traffic is very occasionally having to wait 2 or 3 red lights at the intersection off Exit 35 near Wendy's and the new CVS. That's a rarity vs. a common occurrence.

Again, doing errands around town on weekends or days off - minimal traffic. I shop at Whole Foods and Costco occasionally and go up Roses Mill Rd next to the Acura dealership. It bypasses most of the mall traffic 90% of the time. Only during the busiest Saturdays and holiday season does the traffic creep up past the Acura dealership. I do a lot of shopping around downtown and it feels pretty low key traffic wise to me. Sometimes I go into Woodmont to Robert Treat Farm and it's a very relaxed experience.

As a resident, there is no appreciable traffic problem. I got just as frustrated with Newtown Rd in Danbury and Federal Road in Brookfield on Costco runs on Saturday. Other than the busy area near the mall, Route 1 in Milford is no different than your average retail strip in any suburban town. It's certainly not the most charming strip of road, save the small area in Devon where they've gussied it up a bit with new sidewalks and street lights, but it hardly defines the area for residents.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating...Shelton vs Milford-screen-shot-2012-01-20-1.37.38  

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,748,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
To me, Norwalk is the definition of congested where most of the main roads move very slowly at most times of the day.
Cross St./North Ave.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I agree that away from Route 1, Milford is beautiful. I just hate Route 1, lol. It's too bad that the towns of Orange and Milford allowed the strip to get so commercialized (but then again, if it weren't, where would I shop??).

Traffic is worst from about the intersection with East Town through Orange and into West Haven. They NEED center turning lanes. That would make traffic much less stop and go.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Traffic is worst from about the intersection with East Town through Orange and into West Haven. They NEED center turning lanes. That would make traffic much less stop and go.
There are some center turning lanes in Orange starting in the middle of town into West Haven.

I think that through Orange it's slow, but not necessarily horribly congested. It's pretty reasonable on weekdays.

I think the retail-ization of this area is a problem now seen in the non-sustainability of all that space. Orange especially has a sizable amount of vacant retail. It will definitely fill back up as the economy picks up, but both towns should be very conservative in their zoning from now on - lest they someday become ghost towns. There's no need to build any new retail on empty lots. The most they should allow is tearing down and replacement of obsolete buildings (example: the old Milford Amusement Center/Smiles).

Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Cross St./North Ave.
Yes, terrible intersection. And even the 53/1 interchange. Awful.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Washington Ave is not nearly as bad as the Post Road in Milford/Orage. The Post Road is incredibly unscenic, different color tacky signs screaming in your face and horrid traffic. North Haven is pretty strict when it comes to zoning.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I just hate the Post Road in Milford and Orange, and feel it really ruins both towns (which are beautiful otherwise). Unfortunately I have to shop there often.
Washington Avenue is only different in that it has less traffic and less intensive development (no mall, fewer big boxes) than Route 1 but it certainly is as ugly. It is strip shopping center after strip shopping center after gas station after old commercial building. Really not much different. I don't think the zoning in North Haven is any stronger than Milford or Orange otherwise some of the new developments would look better. JMHO, Jay

Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Washington Avenue is only different in that it has less traffic and less intensive development (no mall, fewer big boxes) than Route 1 but it certainly is as ugly. It is strip shopping center after strip shopping center after gas station after old commercial building. Really not much different. I don't think the zoning in North Haven is any stronger than Milford or Orange otherwise some of the new developments would look better. JMHO, Jay
The new Stop and Shop plaza on Washington Ave is very nice, as well as the new shopping centers on Universal. Both are very attractive.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The new Stop and Shop plaza on Washington Ave is very nice, as well as the new shopping centers on Universal. Both are very attractive.
It is? The Stop & Shop has been there for years. They just tore down the old Waldbaum Center next to it and extended the strip of stores next to the Stop & Shop. They plopped several pad type buildings in the parking lot including a generic CVS, a Dairy Queen and a KFC. All that is surrounded by a sea of parking with some small islands with trees. Not very attractive really. Up the road is a new Big Y which is not much better and across from that is another new typical strip center with a row of stores facing a row of parking along the roadway frontage. I will say there are a couple of somewhat nicer looking office buildings but you can find those on the Post road in Milford or Orange too.

As for Univeral Drive, I agree some of the centers are a little nicer than normal but they still follow the same format of a cheap one story building (really just a box store) surrounded by a sea of parking. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut