Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No I do not get p[aid to promote these cities. But they are not "horrible". Have you ever been to St. Mary's By the Sea in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport? It is stunning. Have you walked around Fairfield Avenue in Black Rock or the city's beautiful Seaside Park? Have you ever been to any of the great restaurants sprouting up downtown or caught a show at the Downtown Caberet? Have you ever been to Bridgeport's North End and any of the shops or restaurants along Main Street? They are not horrible or what anyone would call a hellhole.

Downtown Hartford has many great restaurants and some of the best live theater outside New York. Not everyone wants to live in an upscale suburban community like West Hartford or Fairfield. Your views are very suburban orieted. Jay
I've been to nice cities before. Toronto, Calgary, Boston are just a few examples. I would not call Bridgeport a nice city just because one little section of an entire city is not horrendous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I've been to nice cities before. Toronto, Calgary, Boston are just a few examples. I would not call Bridgeport a nice city just because one little section of an entire city is not horrendous.
Boston puts Bridgeport to shame, but apples and oranges. Boston is 5x the population of Bridgeport and 100x the cultural significance.

He did not say Bridgeport is a nice city though, just that there are worthwhile sections. I personally don't like it as a city and Hartford and New Haven, despite having similar crime problems, offer a lot more.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
There is more than "one little section" of Bpt. that isn't "horrendous". As much as i knock Bpt. at times, i have to say that you really don't quite know what you're talking about with your characterization of the city.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
There is more than "one little section" of Bpt. that isn't "horrendous". As much as i knock Bpt. at times, i have to say that you really don't quite know what you're talking about with your characterization of the city.
Yeah, about half the land mass of Bridgeport is rather middle class.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes Bridgeport is a wonderful safe city and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Yes Bridgeport is a wonderful safe city.
That isn't what i said.

Quote:
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
The reality is more murders will occur in Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford each year than the rest of the state , which has 6/7 of the population.

Violent crime rates are the major distinction, objectively, between the relatively safe suburbs, and the generally quite unsafe cities. 4 murders in 20 days with a very small city population by US standards is not safe. While this pace of 73 may not be sustained, b/w the 3 cities one can sadly bank on over 100 murders annually, and often more than 150, with a combined population of under 400k. By contrast, NYC a few years back had under 700 murders with 18 times the combined population.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:51 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,082 times
As I've said before, BPT has three bad sections (Hollow, East Side, East End) and two kind of dumpy looking but fine parts (South End and West End). The rest are ..::gasp::.. pretty nice. If you like good cheap food, interesting local art, and music BPT offers a lot. If you're looking for Disney-fied urban areas BPT will never be your city.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Downtown Hartford is not as dangerous as the rest of the city but it's by no means "Nice". You still have shady characters walking around and suspicious cars driving around due to the fact that downtown is a small area surrounded by the rest of the Hartford Ghettos.

The Bus Stops on Main St near the Travelers insurance can be scary. Matter or fact, wasn't a lady waiting for a bus there got kidnapped recently?

Union street by the Train Station is not much better, didn't some pizza joint there had a shootout like a year or so ago?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I have a friend who is from Bridgeport and he always talks about how poor it is, yet it's in one of the richest counties in America. He said it is a fun yet dangerous state though.

So how is it in CT?
Btw: those of you who have been to MD, which of the two do you like better?
Living here in Charlotte for 5 years I can tell you Connecticut as a whole is quite low in crime. In Connecticut there are bad areas and for the most part the crime stays in the bad areas. Is it bad..yes in those parts . Without a doubt yes. However, here in Charlotte crime can occur ANYWHERE ...there are worse areas than others but no particular area is truly safe. So the answer on how is it in Connecticut is ..extremely safe unless you live in a high crime big city area. Having lived down here I appreciate this fact more than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut