Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
heh 4 pictures of the beach...how about some pictures of about 1/2 a mile inland? Keep trying...the south is for suckers.
I live about 1/2 mile inland. We get less of the ocean wind that many of our friends near the ocean complain about. But...we get just enough.
I'm on a lagoon and we have water to swim in. I never, ever, hide inside due to heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4-2day View Post
Another positive to moving south is you pay a fraction in taxes. Our house taxes in CT were $12,000 & we had major issues with the schools & roads. In SC our house taxes to a comparable house that is only 15 minutes away from the beach with a nice pond in the back yard & a community pool is only $1,800 & the schools are all brand new. Hard to believe, isn't it???
Others in this forum will, sadly, find it hard to believe, even though it's probably true. They tend to think that CT is the absolute best place on earth, no matter what. And that it's the best in virtually every aspect of life possible. Unlike them, I am willing to speak openly about the many problems associated with CT on this forum (i.e. cost of living, erratic weather, aged infrastructure, income inequality, snobbery, FFC traffic, etc.). Whenever I talk with friends or people from the southern states, they say they would NEVER consider moving up north. And they all have the same answer: It's too cold!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
nep321, That was a nice posting. Great to hear that you would be sincere in your posting.
My taxes went from 5,350 to just $350. Same square footage and on a lagoon. I know CT is
beautiful, I am afraid I also just can not be cold. Being warm feels good. Cold...hurts.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM

79 posts, read 122,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Others in this forum will, sadly, find it hard to believe, even though it's probably true. They tend to think that CT is the absolute best place on earth, no matter what. And that it's the best in virtually every aspect of life possible. Unlike them, I am willing to speak openly about the many problems associated with CT on this forum (i.e. cost of living, erratic weather, aged infrastructure, income inequality, snobbery, FFC traffic, etc.). Whenever I talk with friends or people from the southern states, they say they would NEVER consider moving up north. And they all have the same answer: It's too cold!
Many people in FL are like CT...too proud to put their state down. I know people here that think that 60 is too cold. Years of being down here acclimates all of them, so yeah, they're gonna think it's too cold up north. Many don't understand the concept of acclimation. One of my main issues with the south is that racism and prejudice are still common.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
Many people in FL are like CT...too proud to put their state down. I know people here that think that 60 is too cold. Years of being down here acclimates all of them, so yeah, they're gonna think it's too cold up north. Many don't understand the concept of acclimation. One of my main issues with the south is that racism and prejudice are still common.
Racism and prejudice in 2012? Really? Any examples?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM

119 posts, read 205,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The high school you are raving about has over 3,400 students. That is huge and I would NEVER send my kid to a school that large. It is bigger than any high school in the state of Connecticut.

I will not debate the merits of this school but will say that school systems EVERYWHERE often use the threat of losing accredation as a way for towns to improve their facilities. Berlin high school is not the wreck you are portraying, not even close. It is time that it was updated but that is about it. Sadly it takes a threat to get that update funded. Jay
Jay, interesting how you didn't point out any of the positives of Wando high school. You are mixing facts with your personal biased opinion. You not wanting to send your kid to a high school of 3,400 is your personal opinion & without merit on regards the the quality of education. Fact: this area is growing rapidly due to many leaving CT, NY & NJ residents moving down here, there must be a reason, don't you think? Fact: Berlin high is under a warning of losing accreditation by the NEASC if corrective action is not taken, this is not a scare tactic; direct quote from one of the many letters we received if accreditation is lost: "This could place Berlin High School students at a disadvantage when applying to colleges. If accreditation is withdrawn, future graduates of Berlin High School may be ineligible for participation, as freshmen, in NCAA college athletics and scholarships, which would also negatively impact the reputation of the Berlin Public Schools." In simple English a Berlin High diploma would be worthless. Also McGee middle school has been having air quality issues for years which still have not been resolved. Have you personally had kids in these schools? I've had children in the schools & know first hand what was going on from my kids & through personal experience. I

If you compare Berlin High ($12,000 property tax) to Wando($1,800 in property tax) a state of the art high school with high test scores that offers more programs, yes BHS it is a wreck. Come physically check it out for yourself. Fact: many people from CT are leaving the state & moving to this area. Like I said in a previous post, many of my neighbors are from CT. Just with in my front porch's view (of about 7 houses) I have a two neighbors (families) that moved from CT; one from East Hartford & one from Redding, CT. Fact: there are many CT transplants just with in my subdivision. Fact: you will not find multiple SC transplants with in any subdivision in CT.

Last edited by Live4-2day; 01-24-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
CT winters suck. i'm glad i grew up in southern CT

there's nothing cool or fun about 3 ft of snow

Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Totally agree with you're above post & I used to be one of those people too until I started talking to people who moved from CT down south & absolutely loved it, that's when I started visiting the south (Florida & SC) & doing my research. Life is very different down south in a positive way. If you're honestly not happy, don't waste your life being miserable in the cold. There's alot of living to do out there.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Close to 70 today ...in January no less....Shorts on. Suns out. Zippitydoda Day. But family is a big reason to think it out. I visit my family often.
In MP it was in the mid 70's & we drove out to Goosecreek for my daughter's basketball game where it was almost 80. My husband & I were able to sneak a bike ride with only a t-shirt & shorts on. The warm sun felt so good

Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Racism and prejudice in 2012? Really? Any examples?
I don't think it's as subtle as that down there anymore, nowadays it's more an attitude that if you become poor through no fault on your own, then tough you-know-what on you an a simply "sorry you lose" view. Ironically down there it's often espoused (and voted on) by people who they themselves would benefit from a little help (and I emphasize a little, not talking about those who take advantage and are 'permanently' on the dole, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut