Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Stamford for two years now and while I like the city I always feel like something is missing...

Meanwhile my husband has been in and out of work for most of the time that we've lived here. We are starting to think maybe we will start a business of our own.

What do you feel Stamford/lower Fairfield County is missing or doesn't have enough of business wise? What business do you think would do well for the community and in the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
1. Chick-Fil-A
2. A decent French pastry shop
3. Indian grocery store (will be a huge pull with the annoying Indians hanging around Stamford downtown)
4. A non-Greek diner (more American and Western European)

Can't think of anything else.

If noone else is opening a Chick-Fil-A, I might, I've been mulling the idea... but I got told there's a huge waiting list? If yes, why is it still not open?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Another Prime 16 location, a cool indie coffee shop (New Haven has that market cornered), a New Haven style pizza restaurant, a restaurant that serves REAL authentic Mexican food, a quick and cheap Asian noodle joint, an art gallery store that caters to a younger crowd (like Blank Space that just opened in Milford), a REAL music venue. There's a lot that Stamford is missing that would help it feel vibrant like New Haven. Unfortunately it does not have the college population, but you could still cater to the young professional crowd.

The problem is I'd imagine Stamford is a hard city to stay afloat in with the really high retail rent. And what the city really needs is more affordable, good food and culture.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM

284 posts, read 534,182 times
[quote=Currency Pair Crocodile;22872723]1. Chick-Fil-A
3. Indian grocery store (will be a huge pull with the annoying Indians hanging around Stamford downtown)

Re: #2, what about le pain quotidien? such a delicious little gem. Re #3, there's a large Indian grocery store in Norwalk not too far away.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
the city really needs is more affordable, good food and culture.
Yes, and I don't think that includes a Chick-Fil-A. Nothing to do with the current controversy, it's just that fast food is not really a big part of the local culture.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Another Prime 16 location, a cool indie coffee shop (New Haven has that market cornered), a New Haven style pizza restaurant, a restaurant that serves REAL authentic Mexican food, a quick and cheap Asian noodle joint, an art gallery store that caters to a younger crowd (like Blank Space that just opened in Milford), a REAL music venue. There's a lot that Stamford is missing that would help it feel vibrant like New Haven. Unfortunately it does not have the college population, but you could still cater to the young professional crowd.

The problem is I'd imagine Stamford is a hard city to stay afloat in with the really high retail rent. And what the city really needs is more affordable, good food and culture.
As someone who grew up in CT, has lived in Stamford proper, and currently lives very close to New Haven today, I would totally agree with you that Stamford is missing the vibrant culture! Stamford is such a "stiff" (for lack of a better term), white-collar environment that's mainly focused on business. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great destination for job-seekers compared to New Haven (and even Hartford in many respects) but it is certainly lacking culture and fun.

Beyond the points that you've already listed, I'm going to list a few others:
  • Although UConn-Stamford is nice, it caters mostly towards the business students. Stamford needs a University (or UConn programs) that can infuse the young and hip vibe to balance out the stiffness. New Haven has this with the Yale, Quinnipiac and UNH crowds.
  • (Downtown) Stamford needs a cultural neighborhood. They actually have quite a few quality ethnic/non-ethnic places to eat at (e.g. Kam Pei on Bedford Street, Colony Pizza Grille on Myrtle St) but neither of these locations are reachable without a car. If downtown rent wasn't so absurd, more of these unique restaurants would open up!
  • In some ways, the lower-income folks who work in the service industry would also increase the lower-income residential population. My gut feeling is that the high-brow Stamford residents would NOT want this. Example: I don't agree with the viewpoint, but I know so many people who want to evict residents living in the 2 circular downtown apartment buildings, and demolish the buildings because they are eyesores.
  • Stamford definitely needs the indy coffee shop atmosphere. When I lived there, I went on an unfruitful hunt for a nice coffeeshop not named Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. Going back to the rent argument, the high rent is a significant barrier to entry.
  • The Palace Theater would be PERFECT to hold National Touring Broadway shows (a la Bushnell in Hartford). Heck, it doesn't even need to be Broadway-level...just local theatrical performances would be swell. Yet, events at the Palace are few and far between AND it's all comedies or concerts.
Anyways, just my 2 cents on how I think Stamford could liven up the culture quota.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Yeah, in comparison New Haven has, what, 30 indie coffee shops? The cities do have a different vibe. I think Stamford will plateau at some point. It's riding a wave of satellite-city popularity with its proximity to NYC, but I think the city to bet on for the most growth is NH. Especially after the Hartford high speed rail, 95 improvements, etc. That said, they will both grow in the next 10 years without a doubt. Just perhaps at different rates.

Don't forget New Haven also has Paier Art School, Southern Connecticut State U, Albertus Magnus College, Gateway Community College (now in downtown starting soon). Also Wesleyan, Sacred Heart, U of Bridgeport, and Fairfield U aren't far. So you have a massive academic presence which no doubt defines the city in many ways (especially by Yale). In the same way that Stamford's massive financial presence defines that city.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
i live in stamford currently and think it will eventually get to that point, once the south side starts getting developed. There are a lot of young people around however, i hate that most of the bars all have the same type of generic people in them. I would love more indy coffee shops or more other cultural things. I really dont need another butterfield or grand

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM

22 posts, read 61,409 times
[quote=elinyc;25467801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
1. Chick-Fil-A

Re: #2, what about le pain quotidien? such a delicious little gem. Re #3, there's a large Indian grocery store in Norwalk not too far away.

There is a Pain Quotien across the parking lot from Fairway.

Talk to BLT, developer of Harbor Point, about what they think their eventual population of 10,000 needs. I know they are looking for retail that serves this new city within a city and may be offering breaks.

I also think the city needs a personal transfer service to the airports that is less than 100 dollars a ride.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
i live in stamford currently and think it will eventually get to that point, once the south side starts getting developed. There are a lot of young people around however, i hate that most of the bars all have the same type of generic people in them. I would love more indy coffee shops or more other cultural things. I really dont need another butterfield or grand
They're all the same because I think that's the type of people the city attracts. Butterfield is full of your typical young Stamfordite.

I don't see a huge indie coffee shop-type population, but I highly doubt the city couldn't at least have one very cool one (SoNo has a few and isn't THAT different of a crowd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut