Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,581 times

Advertisements

Do you REALLY need an appointment just for an emissions check?? Yes, I read the DMV webpage, but wanted some real-life advice.
Does it take all day to get your car registered and license switched?
I just moved to Danbury from Atlanta (originally from upstate NY, though) and very happy to finally be back in the NE! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,112 times
Was just at the DMV today in Danbury. It took about an hour to get my out of state license transferred to a CT license.

From what I understand, the DMV's slowest day is Weds -- so try to go on a Weds. Bring a book, your iPod or something else to kill the time.

As far as the emissions test, one of my vehicles needs it and the helpful clerk explained that a smaller shop might want you to have an appointment (like in Bethel where there is only 1 location) -- but a bigger shop won't. She also said it just takes about 10 minutes.

I need to go back for registration of my cars, and I'm not dreading it *too* much.

FYI - it was a $40. to get the paperwork going to transfer my out of state license and then another $77. for the license itself! Ouch -- but, it won't expire for 7 years...

Good luck ~

Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
No appointment is needed for an emissions test- simply go to a registered auto repair/dealership etc. It may take up to a half hour-

Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Try to hold off until October 1st to register your vehicles. This will help you out on property taxes next July.

Vehicle registrations no longer expire by the first letter of your last name and an assigned month. For example, it used to be that all registrations for last names starting with an "S" expired in January. Combination plates were and are an exception: they expire in July.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Can you explain the waiting until Oct. 1st to register vehicles? I was planning on registering 2 of mine this week -- if it makes more sense to wait, then maybe I will.

Thanks for any info.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygina View Post
Can you explain the waiting until Oct. 1st to register vehicles? I was planning on registering 2 of mine this week -- if it makes more sense to wait, then maybe I will.

Thanks for any info.
At this point in the year, I suppose there's really no difference. October 1st is the date that towns use when preparing their property tax bills nine months later (on July 1st). It used to be that if you waited until after October 1st, you might not get a bill in July.

With more sophisticated computer systems, many towns are issuing interim property tax bills for those who moved to town after October 1st.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 PM

55 posts, read 220,742 times
Default Simply Gina, what are u driving a little ole honda? I had to shell out 330 smackers.

they hurt me more than you.. ouch!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 PM

The $$$$ I talked about were just for my drivers license! I still have not registered the cars -- was thinking of doing it tomorrow...

Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeech View Post
Do you REALLY need an appointment just for an emissions check??
Depends on the shop. Some schedule, some take in traffic as it comes.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,298 times
i have to move back to ct next july...dread that road tax and the high cost of auto insurance in that state...how does one go about registering a car in one state while residing in another?...dinner and a show for two at the foxwoods for anyone that can help me out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut