Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong resident of Hatfield, MA, a small town abutting Northampton to the north. I currently work in retail in Northampton and have a commute of just under 10 minutes each way. Recently, I was presented with an excellent job opportunity in Newington, CT. The job would be a major career boost and the salary is considerably greater. The only challenge is that I do not want to relocate from Hatfield where I own a home and have a family.

What would a commute from Hatfield to Newington be like during peak travel times? Typical work hours would be 8-5, Monday-Friday. I tested the drive last Sunday and it was about 55 minutes each way, but with light to moderate traffic. The drive is entirely highway, I-91 to exit 27 and onto the Berlin Turnpike. Considering all circumstances, I believe this job would be worth a roughly one hour commute. However, I am also worried that adding in traffic congestion could make the commuting time unreasonable. The thought of driving through two major cities, Springfield and Hartford, has me more than a little concerned.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
I would say that traveling through Hartford at that time will add at least 20 mins in the morning. I don't know about Springfield in the morning but it can get quite congested in the afternoon/evening. I wouldn't bank on an hour unless you were traveling through Hartford before 7 am.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Hatfield is nearly 60 miles from Newington so it is at least an hours drive. During the hours you mention you could easily add another 15 to 30 minutes to that drive. ONly you can decide if it is worth it but I do not think it is. JMHO, Jay

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM

145 posts, read 320,582 times
I had a boss that drove from Northampton to Windsor. He drove off hours and got in very early in the morning, by 7AM. It took him at least 45 minutes to an hour if I remember correctly. If there was snow or winter weather, it was much longer.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,040 times
Default Don't do it!!!

I think the real question should be what is more important to you, the new job opportunity or living in Hatfield. I would take the commute consideration off the table right now, no matter what the job pays. Your smooth 55 minute Sunday drive is in no way indicative of what you would be up against during the week. My guess is 90 minutes would be typical and many days will be much worse. It will slowly drain you and you won't perform well on the job anyway. It could also lead to family problems.

Simply put, pack up and move to CT or wait for another opportunity closer to you.

Best of luck with your decision. I can tell you from experience it's not easy.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,323 times
That's nuts. Either stay in Hatfield or move to CT. There's a major bottleneck on interstate 91S from before I-291 all the way to the berlin turnipike exit everyday during rush hour that will add even more time to a ridiculously long commute. Also, there's something called snow that would turn that commute into a complete dangerous impossibility. Be prepared to call in sick a lot.

Also, how much more is this job paying?

It costs about 50 cents a mile to run your car factoring in wear and tear, gas ect. so a 110 miles commute would cost 55 bucks a day in the long run. This is something most people don't seem to factor in.

$50x7= 350 bucks a week. So you'd have to earn over 350 bucks a week MORE at this new job for you just to cut even and have the same pay as in Hatfield. Nevermind that you'll be working more hours(ie driving) away from home.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,040 times
Allow me to add that if I were this potential employer and learned that you were not willing or able to move closer, say at least to Springfield, you would not get the job. I mean no disrespect, but why should this company invest in you when you will end up leaving once you are sick of the commute? Trust me, that day will come! Just something to consider.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass1 View Post
I am a lifelong resident of Hatfield, MA, a small town abutting Northampton to the north. I currently work in retail in Northampton and have a commute of just under 10 minutes each way. Recently, I was presented with an excellent job opportunity in Newington, CT. The job would be a major career boost and the salary is considerably greater. The only challenge is that I do not want to relocate from Hatfield where I own a home and have a family.

What would a commute from Hatfield to Newington be like during peak travel times? Typical work hours would be 8-5, Monday-Friday. I tested the drive last Sunday and it was about 55 minutes each way, but with light to moderate traffic. The drive is entirely highway, I-91 to exit 27 and onto the Berlin Turnpike. Considering all circumstances, I believe this job would be worth a roughly one hour commute. However, I am also worried that adding in traffic congestion could make the commuting time unreasonable. The thought of driving through two major cities, Springfield and Hartford, has me more than a little concerned.

Any feedback is appreciated.

That's a lot longer then an hour my man. I still don't know how you did that in 55 minutes, even if you did it at 3 in the morning, it probably still takes an hour unless your traveling 80 MPH the whole way. The traffic through Hartford & Springfield will really add on the time.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
I have a 30 mile each way trouble-free commute that takes 45 mins. It does wear on you. It also eats up your car. I log 22 to 24 thousand miles a year.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
Thank you to those who have provided feedback. It may not be what I wanted to hear but do appreciate the honesty.

To clarify my Sunday trip time, I live about a minute from the I-91 ramp in Hatfield and the trip only took 55 minutes while traveling at 65-70 mph. It seems unlikely that I would ever be that lucky during the week.

The salary at the new job would be more than enough to justify the additional cost of gas and vehicle wear. The mileage calculation was among the very first things I looked at.

Question - To avoid the Hartford bottleneck would it help to take I-91 to I-291 in Windsor, then to Route 5 through East Hartford, then get onto Route 5/15 to Berlin Turnpike?

There are things left to consider but I am much closer to a decision. Additional feedback is welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut