Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times

Advertisements

Ok. I know I should understand this but I don't. If the price of homes are dropping in CT why are tax rates on properties continuing to go up? Are they even looking at what the properties assessment rate is any more or is that concept out the window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ok. I know I should understand this but I don't. If the price of homes are dropping in CT why are tax rates on properties continuing to go up? Are they even looking at what the properties assessment rate is any more or is that concept out the window?
Out the window. Irrelevant.

The municipalities are not "for profit" businesses that can squirrel away oodles of extra $$$ to be used in crunch times.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,413 times
Malloy trying to built the kingdom of Connecticut LOL maybe more than making the road of gold.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

Because the things our taxes pay for keep going up. If property values go down they will either raise tax rates or mill rates to make up the difference. You dont actually expect our municipal employees & liberal social programs to take a hit just because the taxpayers did do you? Plus we are a strictly liberal tax & spend state that just elected a guy who as mayor buried Stamford in debt for our governor. Remember to not vote democrat no matter what in the future elections & we MIGHT recover a bit.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,635 times
Agreed tin knocker, this stuff will just go up regardless, plus the current admin isn't exactly "conservative" in terms of its tax policies. As always this state will vote democrat this coming November but I will vote republican, so at least I can say I exercised my right.

When the yearly car tax on a new vehicle is over $800, if anyone thinks the state is going to cut that they are smoking some good stuff. And this was on a vehicle new that was about $32,000.00. Not exactly a luxury vehicle in today's prices.

I guess every state has their issues and gripes such as this, but this state seems to be unmercifully sticking their hands into its residents pockets.

Someone told me (and I fell down laughing) that if they put 5 tolls back on the highways,, one on 95 at the NY/CT border, one on 91 at the CT/MA border, one on 95 at the CT/RI border, and one on 84 at the NY/CT border and the CT/MA border that would bring such an influx of income that theccar tax would be repealed. Yeah right. True it would bring in more $, a lot more, but the car tax, as well as other taxes like property, sales, etc will continue to go up.

Squeeze squeeze squeeze us till moths fly out of our wallets, then charge us a "wildlife tax" for the priveledge of viewing the moths lol

Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Default Property Tax Appeal in CT

If you're taxes are over 10% of the assessment value, You can appeal it. (not 100% sure on the percentage overage)

Some Info on it:

Frequently Asked Tax Questions

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Noteboo...TaxAppeals.PDF

VALUING RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY IN CONNECTICUT AND MASSACHUSETTS

Revaluation
Connecticut and Massachusetts law differ over how frequently assessors must revalue property. Connecticut law requires assessors to revalue all property at least once every five years and specifies the processes and methods they must follow. These include updating or correcting property data by viewing each property in its neighborhood setting and inspecting each property at least once every 10 years

Connecticut taxpayers who wish to appeal their assessments must do so in writing to three-member board of assessment appeals by February 20 annually

Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,635 times
Agreed we recently got the reassessment form from our town, I just signed it and mailed it back, except for minor discrepancies it looked correct, # of rooms, # of bathrooms, but they got real personal, wanted to know if I remodeled a bathroom or a kitchen, really? So if I improve my home which has zero effect on town utilities ( I live in a townhouse so I obviously can't put on an extension) they want to raise my taxes?

If I add square footage, or an extra toilet attached to town sewer then I understand.

It is not my towns business if I remodel a bathroom. Not like it causes the town extra resources. It's still a bathroom, one sink one shower one toilet.

Likewise if I put in new appliances in my kitchen they want to know about that? None of their business. If I extend my home and put in another bathroom, or erect a new garage then that's their business

Really? They are going to come and inspect every house in my town? Whatever. Sorry we will be working when they want to get inside.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Democrats, Republicans, Malloy, etc. have nothing to do with municipal tax rates.

Each municipal tax rate is based upon the town's needed and expected expenditures for the coming year and its expected revenues. ( the amount of money it takes in)

Revenue is based upon all monies it gets from commercial and residential real estate taxes, plus personal property tax . That total amount of income is called the grand list. Then it also adds in the amount that it receives from the state and federal government, plus any other monetary grants it applies for and receives .

From that revenue the town has to figure out a tax rate. If the value of the list goes down, but its needed expenditures on running the town don't, then the tax mill rate will rise and hence your taxes will rise.

Most often when the grand list goes down in value, taxes will rise. This is what we are all seeing now. Taxes mill rates usually only go down when the grand list goes way up.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
The town is interested if you do remodeling because they are hopeful they can maybe change the condition of your home from typical or average to good. Then they can raise your taxes as your home is worth more.

Legally you do not ever have to let anyone from the tax assessor's office into your home. Nor do you have to answer those questions about appliances, etc.

A tip for those of you who want to appeal your assessments. You have to base your appeal on an appraisal of some sort. You can have a professional appraisal done or you can find good comparable sales of your home yourself. But you have to have concrete information.

To find those comparable sales you need to know the date of the last revaluation. Your information must be based on the date of the revaluation. If the last reval was in October 2009 for example, then you need sales from several months prior to that date.

Your appeal won't be considered if you are trying to use current 2012 information. For those of you in towns that have just had a revaluation of you would use data from several months prior to October 2011.

The reason you can' use current data is that town would then be in the position of trying to change everyone's data to reflect current market conditions. They can't do that. Who would want them changing your data and raising your values and your taxes every year if the market went up ? So assessment appeals are based upon date of revaluation.

Check carefully with you town asessor. There is a very narrow window of opportunity to file an assessment appeal. Make sure you get on the agenda.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The town is interested if you do remodeling because they are hopeful they can maybe change the condition of your home from typical or average to good. Then they can raise your taxes as your home is worth more.

Legally you do not ever have to let anyone from the tax assessor's office into your home. Nor do you have to answer those questions about appliances, etc.

A tip for those of you who want to appeal your assessments. You have to base your appeal on an appraisal of some sort. You can have a professional appraisal done or you can find good comparable sales of your home yourself. But you have to have concrete information.

To find those comparable sales you need to know the date of the last revaluation. Your information must be based on the date of the revaluation. If the last reval was in October 2009 for example, then you need sales from several months prior to that date.

Your appeal won't be considered if you are trying to use current 2012 information. For those of you in towns that have just had a revaluation of you would use data from several months prior to October 2011.

The reason you can' use current data is that town would then be in the position of trying to change everyone's data to reflect current market conditions. They can't do that. Who would want them changing your data and raising your values and your taxes every year if the market went up ? So assessment appeals are based upon date of revaluation.

Check carefully with you town asessor. There is a very narrow window of opportunity to file an assessment appeal. Make sure you get on the agenda.
Thanks all...I appreciate the input on this. Guess it is what it is. SIGH..... cant wait to get back except for THIS PART. I forgot that was the reason gfor moving in the first place along with overpriced housing..saw one get back to respectability (housing) at leastleast I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut