Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,186,961 times

Advertisements

I live in Derby/ Orange. I say that because my condo complex is 100 feet from the Orange border. I live in an excellent complex in a 1600 sq foot unit that is in the price range you mentioned. We love it because we are close to everything you need as far as shopping goes. Also close to Milford beaches. I have friends in Southbury and go there a lot. Takes me 35 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
You might like Bethel. Plenty of condos in your price range and there is a cute downtown.
I have to agree with this suggestion. It sounds like you want a bigger community with more things to do. The towns around Southbury are pretty small and quiet. If you do not like New Milford, then you probably won't like most of them.

It sounds like you want a bigger suburb of a larger city. You really will not find that near Southbury. Milford may be an option. West Hartford or Farmington may also be good. Also maybe consider Southington.

I am not sure what you mean by being frustrated with close to Bridgeport neighborhoods. Is the area too populated for you. Fairfield is pricey and in your range you will be limited. The nieghborhoods you can afford may be close to Bridgeport but they are all very safe and abut the nicest and safest parts of the that city. Still it does not sound like it is the right town for you. Jay

Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 PM

856 posts, read 2,006,574 times
Since shopping is a prerequisite I'm putting you past Bristol. We're a nice family city, but mostly everyday restauarants and stores, altho that budget will get you a nice townhouse/home. It's a bit longer than 30 minutes to Southbury but I'm thinking simsbury, canton, Burlington for you. Good shopping and restaurants. That budget tho...It may limit your choices but I see a few homes in that range.

Last edited by TobinJ; 02-11-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to agree with this suggestion. It sounds like you want a bigger community with more things to do. The towns around Southbury are pretty small and quiet. If you do not like New Milford, then you probably won't like most of them.

It sounds like you want a bigger suburb of a larger city. You really will not find that near Southbury. Milford may be an option. West Hartford or Farmington may also be good. Also maybe consider Southington.

I am not sure what you mean by being frustrated with close to Bridgeport neighborhoods. Is the area too populated for you. Fairfield is pricey and in your range you will be limited. The nieghborhoods you can afford may be close to Bridgeport but they are all very safe and abut the nicest and safest parts of the that city. Still it does not sound like it is the right town for you. Jay
Agreed overall, but Bethel doesn't have any more going on than New Milford. I lived in the area.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM

327 posts, read 1,115,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
OK, if you're bored with the New Milford area, then that scratches off a lot of the surrounding towns. I lived in that area and was also frustrated with the lack of things to do and activity, moved to Milford and am loving it - especially with easy access to other shoreline towns like Westport, Fairfield, New Haven, Branford, etc.
Holy Crap. Not only do you live right around the corner from me but you grew up in probably the same town. I lived in Middlebury and graduated Pomperaug HS in '92.

I agree Southbury and surrounding towns are not where you want to be unless you want to sleep and be left alone. Bethel as other suggested or even Danbury would be a great choice.

I would even agree with the possibility of Cheshire but it maybe a PITA to get through Waterbury to get to work in Southbury.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed overall, but Bethel doesn't have any more going on than New Milford. I lived in the area.
But Bethel is adjacent to Danbury and there is a lot to do there. That is the reason I agreed with the recommendation. Jay

Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM

23 posts, read 61,158 times
Small change of plans which narrows the search down though. Plus to Sby I also need to commute to Farminghton. Thus I am with Bristol, Farminghton, New Britain, West Hartford... Checking elementary schools now.

Any advices are highly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,852,171 times
Whoever said that Kent and West Hartford are over 45 min from Southbury is wrong. I just googled it.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,616,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleug View Post
Small change of plans which narrows the search down though. Plus to Sby I also need to commute to Farminghton. Thus I am with Bristol, Farminghton, New Britain, West Hartford... Checking elementary schools now.

Any advices are highly appreciated.
Bristol would be perfectly situated for commuting to Southbury and Farmington, however unfortunately it's not a very appealing place to live.

I'm not sure what I would recommend instead... definitely not Waterbury though it's also perfectly situated for that dual commute.

Having to commute to Farmington takes you away from the towns closer to the shoreline that have been mentioned. Cheshire is probably the nicest town that is at a midpoint between the two but I wouldn't say it has a 'lot to do'.

For the kind of lifestyle you seem to want, West Hartford may be best -- from there you have a very short commute to Farmington, however the Southbury one becomes long (and going through Waterbury at rush hour is brutal on I-84).

If you can deal with the Southbury commute from there, I'd recommend it. I'm a bit confused by your last message though - would it be like most of the time Southbury and once in awhile Farmington or split evenly or what? It would soften the blow if that commute was only half the days or something.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But Bethel is adjacent to Danbury and there is a lot to do there.
Honestly, not really. The OP is in New Milford and that's a short drive to Danbury, so I can relate to them. You really have to live there to realize what a wasteland it is for things to do like nightlife, culture and restaurants. It's a good area to live the suburban lifestyle, but terrible if you're younger and want to leave your house and do things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Whoever said that Kent and West Hartford are over 45 min from Southbury is wrong. I just googled it.
WH is 45 minutes without rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut