Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM

27 posts, read 67,687 times

Advertisements

I will appreciate if people could share their experiences with furniture stores in Ct. Any reviews on Raymour in Newington??

A coworker told me that costco has good furniture too...any input on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
Try Puritan in West Hartford on New Britain Ave Puritan Furniture CT's Largest Furniture Store - 5 Acres! West Hartford, Wethersfield & Kids furniture visit Puritan Juvenile in Rocky Hill and Pilgrim Furniture in Southington... Pilgrim Furniture City - Connecticut Furniture Stores - Southington, Milford, Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree with Amy, Puritan and Pilgrim are great. We just redid our family room and bought a power reclining sofa, loveseat and chair at Pilgrim in Manchester and are very pleased. Over the years we have bought furniture at Puritan too. They have a warehouse in Wethersfield that we have bought pieces at as well. Great prices on many different things.

As for Raymour, we went and really could not find what we were looking for. We are looking for something right now and have been in there yet to see what they have but will probably be heading there soon. Jay

Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Pilgrim Furniture in Milford on the Post Road strip. Exit 39 off 95.. Huge open store, many selections, friendly staff that help you but dont pressure you like Raymond, and great prices.. There's a ton of other furniture stores along that strip ..

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
We bought furniture from Raymour years ago and it was terrible quality. Ethan Allen has a huge warehouse sale a few times a year, cash an carry for very well made furniture.

Most of my house was furnished by them, and I expect it to around and still in great condition long after I leave this earth.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We bought furniture from Raymour years ago and it was terrible quality. Ethan Allen has a huge warehouse sale a few times a year, cash an carry for very well made furniture.

Most of my house was furnished by them, and I expect it to around and still in great condition long after I leave this earth.
Ethan Allen= big$$$$$! You definitely get what you pay for. Just do your homework and try to by stuff made in this country assembled with hardwood frames. Do yourself a favor and do not buy cheap imported chinese crap. Look at it closely; get down and look underneath, flip the chairs upsidedown and LOOK...!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Ethan Allen= big$$$$$! You definitely get what you pay for. Just do your homework and try to by stuff made in this country assembled with hardwood frames. Do yourself a favor and do not buy cheap imported chinese crap. Look at it closely; get down and look underneath, flip the chairs upsidedown and LOOK...!
Yep. All of my furniture was made in the USA. (I have one hand routed/carved piece that was partially made in Italy, the workmanship is amazing!)

Examples of why it's great furniture:

Dovetails on all drawers.
No glue on anything.
All hardwood, no particle board/plywood even on hidden parts.
High quality fabrics--my furniture is between six and eight years old and still looks brand new.

It wasn't inexpensive furniture to purchase, but as I said earlier, I fully expect that it will outlast me on this earth. I expect I'll have to re-upholster my husbands "man chair" at some point down the road, but that's probably the only piece that will need to be redone, ever.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
We have a friend who swears by Ethan Allen. They will save their money and budget carefully just to buy it. While beautiful some of what they bought is not practical for a home with three very active kids IMHO. They religate the kids to a small playroom in the basement and have nice furniture in their living room, dining room and family room. While I agree a formal living room and dining room should be nice, the family room should be for everyday activities. You should be able to sit and enjoy which is why we bought what we bought. Then again we paid a fortune for it (probably as much as an EA sofa) but we also use it. Oh well to each their own. Jay

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We have a friend who swears by Ethan Allen. They will save their money and budget carefully just to buy it. While beautiful some of what they bought is not practical for a home with three very active kids IMHO. They religate the kids to a small playroom in the basement and have nice furniture in their living room, dining room and family room. While I agree a formal living room and dining room should be nice, the family room should be for everyday activities. You should be able to sit and enjoy which is why we bought what we bought. Then again we paid a fortune for it (probably as much as an EA sofa) but we also use it. Oh well to each their own. Jay
We used to buy furniture from Ethan Allen. It was quality-produced pieces made in the US. That is not the case anymore. Ethan Allen is playing off of their past reputation and still charging the premium prices but not offering the quality goods. An example is a recently recalled crib that was manufactured for Ethan Allen and Kmart.

Most of what Ethan Allen now sells is manufactured in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, or China. Some of it is compressed cardboard with thin veneers. Tetto is right, look around for quality-made US pieces made from domestic and Canadian hardwoods.

We recently purchased a bedroom set that is solid maple and is made in Mass. It was a little more expensive but is far superior to cheap look alikes. When looking at some of the look alikes an honest salesman told us expect 5 to 7 years if you take care of it. Really, 5 to 7 years for $2500?

BTW, Purtains and Pilgrims sell mostly imported stuff to compete with Bobs. In the case of Purtains they are working off their past reputation in my opinion. The salesman there told me they have to sell the lower-priced stuff because people want the look but don't want to pay the price for something that is going to last. Nassaus is doing the same thing. Their new store is switching over to nearly all imported junk.

You get what you pay for America. You can't have the cheap and the jobs. I'd rather pay a 30% premium and get something that lasts a lifetime than save the 30% and replace it 5 or more times. I also like knowing that I'm helping out a fellow craftsman.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I should mention that there are only adults in my home, and the only piece of furniture the dogs are allowed on is a leather sofa I purchased at Macy's. (Which is another good place to buy furniture, I have a few things fromt here and overall have been very happy with the quality.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut