Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 09:34 AM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That is fantastic. Hope it follows through. With Georgia doing more production than LA, there’s no reason we can’t get some of the action with generous tax incentives.

Anyone remember this?

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...v24-story.html
You have to be careful in what you are relying on to make statements like that. There seems to be some tweaking of what films they count and don’t count. B

Georgia does not have more production than California. Last year California led in movie production, New York was second and Georgia was third.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...rt-1203524011/

When you add in television production, it gets even bigger. And California is adding to their incentives to keep productions there.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/...es-california/

While the South Windsor studio never went anywhere, there are other production facilities around the state. Sonalysts Studios in Waterford has five sound stages where many productions are made. Then you have the massive production facilities at ESPN in Bristol. Stamford has NBC Sports and WWE as well as several shows being filmed there. There’s more than you think and nothing to say a production facility in New Haven can’t succeed. Jay

Home » Sonalysts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM

21,467 posts, read 27,712,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to be careful in what you are relying on to make statements like that. There seems to be some tweaking of what films they count and don’t count. B

Georgia does not have more production than California. Last year California led in movie production, New York was second and Georgia was third.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...rt-1203524011/

When you add in television production, it gets even bigger. And California is adding to their incentives to keep productions there.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/...es-california/

While the South Windsor studio never went anywhere, there are other production facilities around the state. Sonalysts Studios in Waterford has five sound stages where many productions are made. Then you have the massive production facilities at ESPN in Bristol. Stamford has NBC Sports and WWE as well as several shows being filmed there. There’s more than you think and nothing to say a production facility in New Haven can’t succeed. Jay

Home » Sonalysts
It seems to change year by year. It wasn't that long ago that Georgia was #1.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...roduction.html

It's still very significant. More and more TV shows are also being shot there. And they have all of the Marvel productions, which constitute a massive amount of spending.

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releas...setting%20year.

Either way, it's a huge boon to their local economy. I'm involved in production in my job, and I can tell you, we spend a lot of money on shoots. Restaurants, hotels, sightseeing, and not to mention the large crews, caterers, etc. It would be a tremendous gain to bring more of that business to CT. We currently have a negligible amount of film and TV production, and we're right next door to NYC. What you're referring to is studio productions. It is very different than original content TV and film production, which requires travel of talent, crew, location permits/rentals, catering, etc. I'm aware of the Waterford studio. I've met with their team. They do a little. Nothing high profile. I'm not sure they'd survive without the government spending. We can do so much more.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
It seems to change year by year. It wasn't that long ago that Georgia was #1.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...roduction.html

It's still very significant. More and more TV shows are also being shot there. And they have all of the Marvel productions, which constitute a massive amount of spending.

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releas...setting%20year.

Either way, it's a huge boon to their local economy. I'm involved in production in my job, and I can tell you, we spend a lot of money on shoots. Restaurants, hotels, sightseeing, and not to mention the large crews, caterers, etc. It would be a tremendous gain to bring more of that business to CT. We currently have a negligible amount of film and TV production, and we're right next door to NYC. What you're referring to is studio productions. It is very different than original content TV and film production, which requires travel of talent, crew, location permits/rentals, catering, etc. I'm aware of the Waterford studio. I've met with their team. They do a little. Nothing high profile. I'm not sure they'd survive without the government spending. We can do so much more.
You have to be very careful about what they are looking at and using to say they are No. 1. They did not use all productions. They just used the Top 100 grossing films. That’s not accurate. There were a lot more than 100 films produced last year. I suspect they deliberately did that to promote Georgia. I wouldn’t trust anything they say. Jay

Old 05-19-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You have to be very careful about what they are looking at and using to say they are No. 1. They did not use all productions. They just used the Top 100 grossing films. That’s not accurate. There were a lot more than 100 films produced last year. I suspect they deliberately did that to promote Georgia. I wouldn’t trust anything they say. Jay
Yes, they lost their “most films” number recently. Still, what they’re doing is significant and impressive given LA is such a production monster.

I’m not saying our studio TV assets are bad, they’re great, but film/TV production could be amazing for our economy. It seems like there was some momentum and interest in the 2000’s but it died down with Great Recession.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, they lost their “most films” number recently. Still, what they’re doing is significant and impressive given LA is such a production monster.

I’m not saying our studio TV assets are bad, they’re great, but film/TV production could be amazing for our economy. It seems like there was some momentum and interest in the 2000’s but it died down with Great Recession.
I’m not only saying they lost it, I’m saying they may never have had it to begin with. You can’t do a realistic or accurate ranking of states when you limit the number of films you look at. That’s not complete or accurate. I think Georgia is taking liberties in how they calculate to make some false claims for marketing reasons. Jay

Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I’m not only saying they lost it, I’m saying they may never have had it to begin with. You can’t do a realistic or accurate ranking of states when you limit the number of films you look at. That’s not complete or accurate. I think Georgia is taking liberties in how they calculate to make some false claims for marketing reasons. Jay
https://time.com/longform/hollywood-in-georgia/

Quote:
In 2016, more major feature films were made in Georgia than in California, according to data from the Los Angeles film office.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Again, it’s their definition of “major feature films” that is suspect. The definition I saw meant the top 100 films. I believe our country makes more than 350 films per year. What about the other 250 films? Where were they made? How can you rank anything when you only look at less than 30% of the data? Makes little sense statistically. Jay

Old 05-20-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Again, it’s their definition of “major feature films” that is suspect. The definition I saw meant the top 100 films. I believe our country makes more than 350 films per year. What about the other 250 films? Where were they made? How can you rank anything when you only look at less than 30% of the data? Makes little sense statistically. Jay
The data was from LA. Why would they fudge it?

And yeah, a movie with a $500,000 budget doesn’t really matter to those economies, so small films are less important.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The data was from LA. Why would they fudge it?

And yeah, a movie with a $500,000 budget doesn’t really matter to those economies, so small films are less important.
It’s not just small movies. It’s major movies that flopped. 100 films is an arbitrary number. Would you rank state income levels based on just one third the data? No, I have no idea why this LA firm would promote Georgia. Are they paid to? It just seems highly suspect to not base a ranking on more comprehensive data. It’s not like it’s not available. Jay

Old 05-21-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It’s not just small movies. It’s major movies that flopped. 100 films is an arbitrary number. Would you rank state income levels based on just one third the data? No, I have no idea why this LA firm would promote Georgia. Are they paid to? It just seems highly suspect to not base a ranking on more comprehensive data. It’s not like it’s not available. Jay
The Los Angeles film office was rightly identifying Georgia as a threat to their film industry economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut