Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 02:43 PM

158 posts, read 198,512 times

Advertisements

True. downtown is busier at night than in the past. More dog-walking, stroller-pushing, grocery-carrying people walking around in the daytime, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 10:14 AM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
True. downtown is busier at night than in the past. More dog-walking, stroller-pushing, grocery-carrying people walking around in the daytime, too.
The only let down was seeing all the vacant storefronts, mainly in the center-east end of downtown. I’m hoping that the new Wooster and Hospital area apartments will create the critical mass needed for a rebound there.

One puzzling spot: former Webster bank lot that was supposed to be a Hilton Garden Inn. Just a stagnant hole in ground. Anyone know status of that?

Old 04-11-2022, 07:34 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
New Haven Alderman Eli Sabin is proposing much denser housing in New Haven’s central business district. Interesting but it could change the scale of downtown New Haven. I’m not sure that would be that good for the city. Jay

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...wntown_for_all

Old 04-12-2022, 08:27 AM

977 posts, read 597,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New Haven Alderman Eli Sabin is proposing much denser housing in New Haven’s central business district. Interesting but it could change the scale of downtown New Haven. I’m not sure that would be that good for the city. Jay

I think it'd be great.

In order for CT's cities to grow they need to get taller. Tall buildings give a sense of feel when driving by that you've hit a real city - and as shallow as it is first impressions matter. CT cities got screwed by having I 95 so elevated - it makes them feel tiny. It's also the only way our tiny urban cores can add more space.

Just look at Stamford or Boston recently. Both have grown so much and many of their neighborhoods have gotten taller.

No need for open paking lots downtown. Double the average height of NH buildings.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I think more density there would be great.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:39 AM

Anyone know what’s going on with the outlet mall? News outlets reported that demolition was supposed to start soon but I haven’t been over there in a bit.

Found this presentation:

https://simon-malls.cld.bz/The-Haven

Old 04-22-2022, 01:29 PM

Nice article in the Hartford Courant on the Hotel Marcel in the old Perelli Tire/Armstrong Rubber building on Long Wharf. Can’t wait to see it when opened. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...6ki-story.html

Old 04-22-2022, 01:44 PM

809 posts, read 466,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Anyone know what’s going on with the outlet mall? News outlets reported that demolition was supposed to start soon but I haven’t been over there in a bit.

Found this presentation:

https://simon-malls.cld.bz/The-Haven
This is really interesting and there's definitely a market for this in Eastern FFC/New Haven Co., and will likely be a regional draw if they market it correctly/secure premium outlet tenants. They'll need to make it unique enough to appeal to the discerning tastes of CT residents - not make it cookie cutter.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
This is really interesting and there's definitely a market for this in Eastern FFC/New Haven Co., and will likely be a regional draw if they market it correctly/secure premium outlet tenants. They'll need to make it unique enough to appeal to the discerning tastes of CT residents - not make it cookie cutter.
I’m not sure about it. The plans I saw were kind of “pedestrian”. It looked like a typical strip center with a sea of asphalt. The most disturbing part to me is how they ignore the fact that the site is right on New Haven Harbor and West River. You’d think they’d at least have a walk and restaurant or two on the water. The views are stunning and the whole center turns its back on them. I’m hoping this changes when it gets built. Jay

Old 04-22-2022, 06:56 PM

977 posts, read 597,535 times
Quote:
I’m not sure about it. The plans I saw were kind of “pedestrian”. It looked like a typical strip center with a sea of asphalt. The most disturbing part to me is how they ignore the fact that the site is right on New Haven Harbor and West River. You’d think they’d at least have a walk and restaurant or two on the water. The views are stunning and the whole center turns its back on them. I’m hoping this changes when it gets built. Jay
I was about to say the same. Why in the world is the parking closer to the water than the buildings??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut