Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Gentrification in New Haven, 2000-2014

Areas where social determinants (percent of residents with college degrees and professional jobs) are increasing at least 10 percent faster than the citywide average are colored in yellow. Areas where economic determinants (median income, rent and house value) are increasing at least 10 percent faster than the citywide average are colored in blue. Areas that passed both of these tests are shown in green.

Looking at the map, we can see that the East Rock neighborhood (Tracts 1418 and 1421) shows the most evidence of a demographic shift, demonstrating a faster rise in both land value and social status than the rest of New Haven. This makes intuitive sense — as Yale expands, it’s become a more attractive place to live for Yale’s grad students and professors, who likely drive the neighborhood’s continued change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Development at former New Haven bus debot site moves ahead

Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM

428 posts, read 831,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Where in Fair Haven is this happening? Could've fooled me.
Fair Haven Heights was improving when I left. Not sure about it now.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Jordan's has opened and its sounds wonderful. Will have to check it out one day. Anyone been there yet? Jay

Zip lining above the furniture: Jordan

Old 12-11-2015, 07:47 AM

228 posts, read 264,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jordan's has opened and its sounds wonderful. Will have to check it out one day. Anyone been there yet? Jay

My husband's had a peek and says the space is incredible and looks to be a big draw. I hope they do well. I'm a fan of Jordan's furniture and the CEO certainly has creative ideas.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

I work in the area and the building looks awesome. In the past couple days it really shines. My cousins who live in Mass/RI say they love Jordans and buy all there furniture from there. It will do well.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 AM

453 posts, read 530,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I work in the area and the building looks awesome. In the past couple days it really shines. My cousins who live in Mass/RI say they love Jordans and buy all there furniture from there. It will do well.
I went to the one in Warwick (or Cranston?) and it was very nice. I think they are doing a good job advertising as well. It's tough for a store to enter a new market but I think it'll do well in that location. I hope the pizza they will serve is up to New Haven standards though!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM

One of the things that we believe is underutilized for development is the Long Wharf area, and I think this really makes us focus more on that,” said Mayor Toni Harp.

Several more projects are in the works, and others are being explored.

“I think we’re looking at a transition. The place was built sixty years ago as an industrial park,” said Matthew Nemerson, the city’s Economic and Development Administrator.

Decades later, there are now two major retailers book-ending Sargent Drive. Ikea on one side and now Jordan’s. In between, a combination of newer buildings mixed with re-purposed ones. The city says there are plans in the works for Southern Connecticut State University to move into the old Gateway location. They’re also thinking about possibly building a garage and pedestrian bridge for commuters to access Union Station.

Across the highway, there are also plans to revitalize the waterfront.

“There’s gonna be a boathouse which will bring in small boats and crew racing and the University of New Haven will have maritime programs there,” said Nemerson.

Construction on a new dock and boathouse has already started and is expected to be complete sometime in 2017.

The waterfront is also famous for its food trucks. Nemerson said there are plans to improve that as well.

“We have thousands of people who go there every weekend. So, we’re going to be adding some new parking and some new lanes and new areas for people to sit and eat,” said Nemerson.

All of these projects mean more jobs coming to the area as well. Jordan’s alone hired more than 200 people. City officials say they’re hopeful those employees, as well as people coming to shop, will explore other areas of Long Wharf and the city as well.

Jordan’s Furniture opens: What comes next for Long Wharf? | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 12-12-2015, 11:54 AM

109 posts, read 136,123 times
It's really nice to read all of the new things going on in NH. Although CA. is home now my heart is in NH. The younger generation seems to be leading the way. Congrats NH!

Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
It's really nice to read all of the new things going on in NH. Although CA. is home now my heart is in NH. The younger generation seems to be leading the way. Congrats NH!
Yes , New Haven is doing well. Even during the economic downturn, there was major developments being proposed and constructed. It continues to be a great city. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut