Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 AM

70 posts, read 46,220 times

Advertisements

And if you love money so much, make like a cow and MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Wow. All of a sudden I feel poor-- My partner and I live very comfortably in Westport on a lot less than 400K.

Maybe some of you should take the advice you lather so copiously on the poor: If you can't afford to support kids don't have them!
That's why you're living comfortably there, minus the kids.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 PM

156 posts, read 278,103 times
Quote:
Wow. All of a sudden I feel poor-- My partner and I live very comfortably in Westport on a lot less than 400K.

Maybe some of you should take the advice you lather so copiously on the poor: If you can't afford to support kids don't have them!
Accounting for what's been said in this thread with your ignorant comment above, you're saying people have to be rich to have kids. Nobody's saying that 250k a year is poor. They're saying it's not "rich".

The difference is that many who are poor and on welfare continue to pop out kids, and you're comparing decent working people to those who defraud the system. Shame on you!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
Accounting for what's been said in this thread with your ignorant comment above, you're saying people have to be rich to have kids. Nobody's saying that 250k a year is poor. They're saying it's not "rich".

The difference is that many who are poor and on welfare continue to pop out kids, and you're comparing decent working people to those who defraud the system. Shame on you!
Actually I was trying to point out the irony of people who make 250K + a year complaining about their "struggles" while there are truly needy people out there.

By the way-- Lots of poor people are hardworking. Shame on YOU for not recognizing that.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Dude, you're in the top 2%, as you admit. If that doesn't qualify as wealthy, I don't know what does.

Don't worry, most people won't confuse the super-rich like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, etc. with a family earning $250k, but you ARE wealthy by US standards. It's just a simple mathematical fact.
Actually, I'd say a household earning 250K is high income. We don't know if the household is wealthy or not. Wealth is what you have left over, not your income. In theory, a high income means you should have a lot left over....but a surprising number of folks spend up to the limit of their incomes, no matter how much they make.

See link below of 11 celebrities who went bankrupt:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/02/...went-bankrupt/

Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Actually I was trying to point out the irony of people who make 250K + a year complaining about their "struggles" while there are truly needy people out there.
Hmm...show me one person who is complaining about their "struggles" while making 250k? Or are you just assuming this demographic exists to try and make a point?

Quote:
By the way-- Lots of poor people are hardworking. Shame on YOU for not recognizing that.
He was talking about the "other" poor. They do exist, you know.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
He was talking about the "other" poor. They do exist, you know.
Sure he was. Cause his idea of the poor is:

Quote:
many who are poor and on welfare continue to pop out kids, and you're comparing decent working people to those who defraud the system.
I think I got it... It's the "decent working people" struggling to make ends meet at $250K per year and the poor on welfare, committing fraud, while they "continue to pop out kids." That's the dichotomy right? He's not demonizing the poor AT ALL!

Anyone who makes $250K -- Even $100K is BLESSED and should thank their lucky stars. Living in a 500K or 800K house is a choice, not a necessity. You don't HAVE to live in Westport. You could live in Trumbull. You don't have to live in Greenwich-- You could live in Port Chester.

I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky to earn what I do and live the lifestyle that I do. There are kids who live in a city six miles from me who are going to be hungry tonight. That concerns me a lot more than the plight of those pulling down a quarter million a year and can't afford their 800K home...

Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
He's not demonizing the poor AT ALL!
No, he's not. He said "many who are poor and on welfare" and not "all of the poor on welfare".

Sorry but if you don't think there are a LOT of lazy scumbags who have kids to collect more while smoking dope in their section 8 apartment, you're more sheltered than I thought.

I also consider my family extremely blessed, but not "lucky". We busted our ass for the past five years to get where we are today. We're still paying off loans. I certainly don't take what we have for granted and I thank my lucky stars for health and prosperity; I'm simply not going to buy the thought that all of the people on welfare are victims of society; a LOT of it is personal choice.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM

70 posts, read 46,220 times
What do you know about Section 8, Mr. Yankee?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, he's not. He said "many who are poor and on welfare" and not "all of the poor on welfare".

Sorry but if you don't think there are a LOT of lazy scumbags who have kids to collect more while smoking dope in their section 8 apartment, you're more sheltered than I thought.
I think the definition of sheltered is getting your idea of what poor people are like from RushGlenReilly than reality. Yes some do cheat the system. However if I were to apply the term "MANY" it would be to the hardworking poor who are all over the place. I wouldn't for a minute insult the majority of poor folks who deal with poor environment, poor schools, lack of education, etc., while earning a living cleaning hotel rooms or in a 100 degree room doing dry cleaning...

More of the same... Chest beating and demonizing the "lazy" poor while corporations paying no tax, government contractors and a greedy unethical financial class steal exponentially more. Where is your anger towards them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut