Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,280,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If you put "Los Angeles" in the area designated for Location, I wouldn't have to make assumptions.
Fair enough.

Quote:
RE: " commute", that's what many people do. That's why it takes an hour to go less than 20 miles on a regular basis. Is it done? Sure, but it's not easy. It creates an awful lifestyle, and a stressed, aggressive population.
Well it's much nicer when you have automatic climate control, a quiet cabin and bluetooth, right? Do the wealthy teleport to work? Are you only wealthy when you have a driver? Do wealthy people not take the subway? In LA it sometimes takes It takes 45 minutes to get from Mid-Wilshire to Los Feliz during rush hour on side streets, that's 7 miles. I'd venture a guess that there are plenty of wealthy people doing that drive.

Quote:
RE: "rent", Stamford/Norwalk has had the highest rental prices in the entire nation for a few consecutive years now. A nice 1br will run you in the thousands, and a 2 or 3 bedroom (for families) would be much higher. So it's either that or buy a modest home within easy commuting distance for a million bucks.
I've briefly looked at prices in the Stamford area for both houses and rent and they look to be the same as LA. Norwalk seems to be a bit cheaper. Anywhere from 200k to over a million.

Two years ago I paid $1600 for a 450sq. ft. rental. In the city of Los Angeles, in one of the nicest neighborhoods, making less than I was making now. A 2-3 bedroom would have cost 3-4k a month. Buying would be about the same after a down payment. Hardly a dent in $14000.00 after taxes.

Quote:
RE: "make more money", that's easier said than done for many people.
If you're already making $250,000 a year chances are you have more of an ability, through your own personal ability, connections and investments to make more money.

Quote:
And - who is complaining? Nobody. I'm simply making a statement that 250k in an area where the average home sells for over a million bucks is not living a "wealthy" lifestyle. Just ain't happenin'.
I see a lot of people pretend that $250k is chump change when in fact there are options while still living in expensive neighborhoods. Not every house is $1,000,000. And if it takes $1,000,000 house to feel wealthy, then I don't know what to say.

If being wealthy is not having to make compromises, then we're all going to be poor, for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM

66 posts, read 150,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If being wealthy is not having to make compromises, then we're all going to be poor, for a very long time.
There's obviously a middle ground between wealthy and poor. But in a classical sense, you have defined weathly - not having to make compromises, a general sense of freedom. Not having to worry about where the next paycheck will come from... Wealth is different from income, different from being "rich."

Using the cutoff figure from this thread, someone who made $250k this year may have a high income, may even be "rich" at the moment. But wealthy? Is there any guarantee of another 250k next year? For the remainder of their working years?

On the flipside, as some have noted, you don't need to be "rich" to eventually become "wealthy" if you live below your means and accumulate assets over a period of time. The proverbial "millionare next door"... Once you have adequate resources to fund the lifestyle you want to maintain for the forseeable future, you are "wealthy."

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM

199 posts, read 421,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Some valid points, minus the 1 hr commute from Waterbury to NYC. I'm not even sure that is possible by Helicopter...
It's 86 miles from Waterbury to Harlem Station on the Metro North line, with only about 1/2 mile of city streets to converse. The passing lane typically flows at about 75-80 miles an hour on I-84 and I-684, Cross County Pkwy and Deegan/I-87 before rush hour's onset (7:15-7:30). I confess to driving faster than the limit but it's still not a manic commute. Spent years driving this route, or heading to Mt Kisco/Pleasantville/White Plains and hopping on the train to avoid return traffic - I promise, no helicopter needed

Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,176,993 times
NY: Selective memory my friend. 86 miles at 75 MPH is still over an hour. Throw even drizzling rain in the mix and speeds come down 15-20mph. Also most jobs/employers tend to be a bit south of Harlem and that will add a good half hour if driving. 3hrs plus daily is THE definition of "mega commuter".

Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
There's obviously a middle ground between wealthy and poor. But in a classical sense, you have defined weathly - not having to make compromises, a general sense of freedom. Not having to worry about where the next paycheck will come from... Wealth is different from income, different from being "rich."
Exactly what I was going to say before I read this. Thanks for saving me typing.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:17 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
Accounting for what's been said in this thread with your ignorant comment above, you're saying people have to be rich to have kids. Nobody's saying that 250k a year is poor. They're saying it's not "rich".

The difference is that many who are poor and on welfare continue to pop out kids, and you're comparing decent working people to those who defraud the system. Shame on you!
There are many middle class people who do not put enough aside for their retirement and who have next to nothing saved for their kids education. They complain about this. They make comments like Social Security and Medicare may not be there for them, etc. This is a result of their lifestyle choices when they were younger, including having kids.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,280,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
Once you have adequate resources to fund the lifestyle you want to maintain for the forseeable future, you are "wealthy."
Yeah, if you maintain that definition, I'm already wealthy, Buddhist monks are wealthy and people with over 250k have the means to be wealthy as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
It's simple. Wealthy and rich are the same thing. It means you can live the rest of your life with the money you already have. If you can do that, you're wealthy. If you can't, you're not.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM

203 posts, read 326,814 times
The answers are HERE... $150,000 = rich, according to average(mean) American

Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
The answers are HERE... $150,000 = rich, according to average(mean) American
Can you live the rest of your life in the United States with $150,000? No. Therefore $150k != rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut